News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Lebanon, New Hampshire Road Meet - September 21, 2013

Started by Dougtone, August 03, 2013, 09:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

I've been in discussions behind the scenes with TomTom (the GPS company) to set up a road meet at their offices in Lebanon, New Hampshire.  I now am able to announce this meet, which should be a little different than the typical meet (will be held at a corporate office instead of a restaurant), but just as fun as other meets.  Here's some information...

September 21, 2013 at Noon
TomTom HQ - 11 Lafayette St, Lebanon, NH 03766
Lunch will be provided at 12:30
We can have up to 25 people (I need an RSVP by Friday, September 13 so that food can be ordered)

Agenda (can change this is a rough draft)
12:00: Settle in, meet & greet
12:30 Lunch served
12:45 - 1PM: Overview of our internal map development tools, how a tomtom map is made, looking at community map reports and solving problems
1PM-2PM: We might have a Mapping van available to show off. If not, we'll show some of our software that shows 360 degree streets from our camera systems and probe data (bread crumbs)
2-4PM: Local "Map Project" (essentially a tour of the area)

I have yet to nail down specifics but I was thinking we'd check out some old covered bridges, there's an overpass / bridge on I-89 that is under construction with an interesting split southbound road. I'm putting together other ideas as well.

There may be some free goodies to give out as well.

Any questions or to sign up, feel free to post here or e-mail me directly at dougtone@gmail.com.

froggie

Alas, a month-and-a-half too early for me.

Plenty of good food around there, though.  One of our personal favorites nearby is Molly's, up in Hanover.  Not too far from Quechee, either.

deathtopumpkins

I definitely think if there is enough time some nearby covered bridges would be worth seeing, along with the Quechee Gorge bridge on US 4. I also know of a state-named VT I-91 shield in Claremont, if anyone wants to check that out.

Dunno if I'd be interested in this meet or not though. Earlier this summer I did some extensive road clinching and exploring around that area, and the Tom-Tom portion doesn't sound particularly appealing to me, since I don't own or care to own a Tom-Tom.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

hbelkins

I really would like to attend this meet, even if I have been in the area a few times, and I was looking forward to the Tom-Tom event since it was first proposed several months ago.

But...

I will not be able to attend. Melissa will be in Texas that weekend and I will have to hold the fort down. All of September is pretty much out for me to do anything. I am having to miss a conference that I usually enjoy attending because of her travel schedule in September.

Perhaps there can be a follow-up Tom-Tom event in a couple of years.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

Maaaaaaybe. We'll have to see if I can spare a weekend around then. It's only a few weeks before comic con, so this depends on the status of my preparation for that.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

QuoteI also know of a state-named VT I-91 shield in Claremont, if anyone wants to check that out.

There's a few VT I-91 shields south of White River...including an old-spec southbound right after you pass I-89.

QuoteDunno if I'd be interested in this meet or not though. Earlier this summer I did some extensive road clinching and exploring around that area, and the Tom-Tom portion doesn't sound particularly appealing to me, since I don't own or care to own a Tom-Tom.

It's not just about owning or not owning a Tom-Tom.  It's about GPS mapping, which is increasingly important these days.  Whether you own or not own a Tom-Tom is inmaterial.

jpi

HMMM, I am a maybe on this one, I will be in central PA that weekend for a BIG toy show in Hershey on Sunday 9/22 but it is a long drive back after the meet and be back up at 5:30am for the show, will see.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

vdeane

Remind me to ask them whether they've seen the scene of Doctor Who where Strax gets directions from a boy named "Thomas Thomas".

Quote from: froggie on August 04, 2013, 03:28:41 AM
It's about GPS mapping, which is increasingly important these days.
I wouldn't say it's just GPS mapping either.  On the bare mapping level, there isn't much difference between TomTom, Google, and Rand McNally.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

deathtopumpkins

QuoteDunno if I'd be interested in this meet or not though. Earlier this summer I did some extensive road clinching and exploring around that area, and the Tom-Tom portion doesn't sound particularly appealing to me, since I don't own or care to own a Tom-Tom.

It's not just about owning or not owning a Tom-Tom.  It's about GPS mapping, which is increasingly important these days.  Whether you own or not own a Tom-Tom is inmaterial.

A valid point, but I can't help but think they'll use this as little more than an opportunity to try and sell us Tom-Toms.
It appears I don't have plans that weekend, and Lebanon's only 2-3 hours for me, so I might still go. I haven't ruled it out.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

hbelkins

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 04, 2013, 06:21:45 PM

A valid point, but I can't help but think they'll use this as little more than an opportunity to try and sell us Tom-Toms.
It appears I don't have plans that weekend, and Lebanon's only 2-3 hours for me, so I might still go. I haven't ruled it out.

Tom-Tom employees have attended at least two meets, Bennington, Vt. and Portsmouth, N.H. They are actually interested in picking our brains to help with their product development.

corco

QuoteA valid point, but I can't help but think they'll use this as little more than an opportunity to try and sell us Tom-Toms.

If they're anything like ESRI reps, they'll be pretty good at not being salesmen- they'll probably show you their cool new technology and have you play with it so you want it, but they'll never say "buy a Tom Tom" and will keep it on a non-product specific technical level that's still interesting. You'll be able to tell you're talking to the Tom Tom people and not the Garmin people, but you won't feel like they're trying to sell you something.

This is a meet I'd love to go to if I could, and if it were closer it's probably one I could talk my employers into paying for me to attend.

Dougtone

Quote from: corco on August 04, 2013, 10:47:45 PM
QuoteA valid point, but I can't help but think they'll use this as little more than an opportunity to try and sell us Tom-Toms.

If they're anything like ESRI reps, they'll be pretty good at not being salesmen- they'll probably show you their cool new technology and have you play with it so you want it, but they'll never say "buy a Tom Tom" and will keep it on a non-product specific technical level that's still interesting. You'll be able to tell you're talking to the Tom Tom people and not the Garmin people, but you won't feel like they're trying to sell you something.

This is a meet I'd love to go to if I could, and if it were closer it's probably one I could talk my employers into paying for me to attend.

I don't believe that it is going to be a sales pitch at all, although I could see how someone could think about buying a TomTom as a result of this meet over another GPS brand, if they were in the market to buy a GPS.  However, this will be a good opportunity to see how the commercial world develops and fine-tunes mapping software for daily use.

froggie

...hence why I wish it were later in the year, especially since I'll be retiring just over an hour away.

Janko Dialnice

I am marked as a "maybe" for this meet. So as long as the DB overhaul at work doesn't fall on that particular weekend, I am in. (But overhearing office conversations thus-far, this might actually be the case.   :-| ).

vdeane

Any advice for finding a cheap hotel?  Everything I can find on the route (though I haven't checked the Albany area yet) is WAY more expensive than what I had for the NJ meet.  I'm thinking I'll need to stay overnight Sat-Sun in case of a post-meet tour/activity.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

adamjackson

Hello everyone! My name is Adam and I am the initiator of this meet-up with the help of Doug and a few other colleagues. After attending the Portsmouth meetup, I thought it would be cool to do something close to home.

For the business side of things, we're not city folk, not pro salespeople with MBAs and fancy suits. We're NH / VT folks who are very relaxed and love maps. We're just happy that our managers gave us some budget to buy some food and hang out with other like-minded people. It's not a sales pitch at all and, if you don't want to see the mapping software we're working on, you can arrive late or put in earplugs :)

Seriously though, Before joining TomTom, I wasn't a map geek and the stuff we're working on is really awesome and has gotten me into this hobby. We actually won't have any GPS devices on hand to show you. Our office makes maps for North America so, you won't be pitched on new stuff to buy, you'll just get a chance to see how we build maps in-house and maybe I'll have some pens and coffee cups to give away and then we'll eat and go check out some local sights. Totally not a sales pitch, I promise.

Both myself and colleagues have attended some of the local meetups and we're really looking forward to hosting this and talking maps with everyone here.

If you have questions, feel free to email me. adam@adam-jackson.net. We're still looking for ideas for local spots to visit so I'm open to suggestions on that.
I'm a project manager for North America and other regions for TomTom!

Tell us about map changes you observe on Map Share Reporter
http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Dr Frankenstein

Being an IT and mapping (and perhaps GIS) geek... I'm so in1. Plus, it's a day trip for me (or not, depending on how much of US 4/5/7 I want to grab; I already have all the Interstates in the area clinched!).

I don't believe that it will be a sales pitch, and if it is, I'll show my iPhone with iOS 6.2

1 Actual RSVP is subject to change, follow the Facebook page.
2 Apple Maps uses TomTom data. (Well... that's what Apple claims.)

vdeane

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on August 06, 2013, 02:08:22 PM
Apple Maps uses TomTom data. (Well... that's what Apple claims.)
Should we be alarmed by this?

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: vdeane on August 06, 2013, 09:11:48 PM
Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on August 06, 2013, 02:08:22 PM
Apple Maps uses TomTom data. (Well... that's what Apple claims.)
Should we be alarmed by this?
I have mixed feelings. But I trust TomTom more than Apple, regardless.

cpzilliacus

Can Inrix users attend? 

As in users of the Inrix app and the Inrix data?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NPS

I work at TomTom.  I have been to two meets and have met many of you, and my impression is that most of you have a healthy skepticism regarding online mapping applications and would not use one even it was given to you. That is not a problem at all, since we will not be selling or giving away TomTom devices. This is a good opportunity for road geeks to have face to face conversations with people who make the maps you often complain about, as well as to see some nice technology.

I have been impressed by your interest and knowledge of highways around the country. It's your hobby, and you want to see correct information. It's our job to provide correct information. If we can establish direct contact with road geeks around the country so you all have direct lines of communication to someone who can correct errors, doesn't everyone benefit?  I am not suggesting that the forums will be any less forgiving, nor should they be, but at least you will have an opportunity to discuss your issues directly with a person who can correct them.

I hope to see many of you in Lebanon next month.  I am expecting the weather to be perfect.

hbelkins

I can vouch for NPS. He's a good guy and is definitely not trying to do the hard sell.

Myself, I don't understand why anyone would not want to use a road-related tool if it was available. Given that I love my tech toys, I'd buy one of each brand of GPS if I could afford it.  :bigass:

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

I want a GPS that doesn't offer directions, just a map and business locations.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Steve on August 08, 2013, 08:29:13 PM
I want a GPS that doesn't offer directions, just a map and business locations.

That's why I'm so in love with Google Navigation on my phone. The old version (i.e. not installing the most recent update) let you just have the map open with no directions, and you could have it show pins for gas stations, ATMs, restaurants, etc. as you drive along.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.