News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Suppose they gave a wedding and a road meet broke out?

Started by hbelkins, August 19, 2013, 11:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Eight of us, two dates, plus the bride and groom (Laura Bianca and Michael Pruett).

The reception had a very "road-y" feel to it, with all of us seated at the I-190 table.

There's a group photo floating around that was taken on Jason Ilyes' camera. Perhaps someone can repost it here.

Doug Kerr's Fathead and the Send Help sign made appearances.

Me, Doug, Jason, Lou Corsaro and his date, Allen Seth Dunn and his date, Steve Alpert, Mike Tantillo and Anthony Costanzo  were in attendance and we all had a great time.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brian556

How was the wedding decorated?

On a wedding show (a redneck wedding show if I remember correctly), a couple had a road-themed wedding. This was because the groom was a trucker. The aisle was a striped road, and was lines with orange construction delineators. There were signs behind the alter.

froggie

Though not a roadgeek-themed or road meet-related wedding, the roadgeeks at Adam Prince's wedding were all clustered at one table, with a few extra guests.  Ours was the DC Metro Orange Line, however (sorta fitting for me since I was stationed in DC at the time).

kurumi

Congratulations to the newlyweds! I thought I could provide a pun involving "Marryland Roads" but the quality's just not there. Maybe someone else can take it up :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

hbelkins

Elizabeth Blackford (Seth's date), me, Allen Seth Dunn, Doug Kerr, Laura Bianca (the new Mrs. MD Roads), Mike Pruett, Steve Alpert, Jason Ilyes, Lou Corsaro (kneeling, a/k/a Lou Corsano), Mike Tantillo, Anthony Costanzo.

jpi

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

Congratulations, Laura and Mike!  :clap:

What's up with the Big Giant Head that Steve is holding?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

jpi

Brandon- we were thinking of you guys in Flint that day too!;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

SSOWorld

Quote from: Brandon on August 20, 2013, 04:27:42 PM
Congratulations, Laura and Mike!  :clap:

What's up with the Big Giant Head that Steve is holding?
What you never met the real Doug? :P
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

froggie

Surprisingly, some haven't.  Just like some never met the REAL Brian LeBlanc back in the day.  Just the Brian LeBlanc cardboard cutout.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on August 21, 2013, 03:23:33 AM
Surprisingly, some haven't.  Just like some never met the REAL Brian LeBlanc back in the day.  Just the Brian LeBlanc cardboard cutout.

I don't remember the cutout. Did it like Dr Pepper and hate cole slaw like its namesake?

Brandon

Quote from: jpi on August 20, 2013, 10:13:20 PM
Brandon- we were thinking of you guys in Flint that day too!;-)

We had a blast going through urban prairie, clinching I-475 and M-54, and being served food by a waitress with a cute disposition at a decent restaurant.  Even got two malls for the mallophiles out there, Courtland Center (which has seen better days) and the Dort Mall.  The Dort Mall is a must-see even for folks who don't like malls.  It's...interesting, from a collectible and museum standpoint.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jpi

Brandon- Thats cool! Sounds like it was fun. I spent 2 weeks in Flint for work back in May of 98 and have not been back since, one of these days I will have to swing up that way. I am also into dead and dying retail too :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US81

Congratulations! sounds like the best wedding ever!

CanesFan27

Quote from: froggie on August 20, 2013, 02:18:48 AM
Though not a roadgeek-themed or road meet-related wedding, the roadgeeks at Adam Prince's wedding were all clustered at one table, with a few extra guests.  Ours was the DC Metro Orange Line, however (sorta fitting for me since I was stationed in DC at the time).

Our tables were named based off either we both have been to together or from either of our families.  We then had mini exit guide signs with the the Table # as an Exit tab.  The Destination and the distance from Marbles (where our reception was held at in Raleigh) to that particular destination.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150804279373021&set=pb.72868503020.-2207520000.1377117615.&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100602860834073&set=a.10100602859566613.2562114.22200937&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100602860689363&set=a.10100602859566613.2562114.22200937&type=3&theater

Then in our reception program - we had a story about why each table was named.  We chose the orange line (though it should have been yellow) for the table where most of the roadgeeks sat (Brian was in our wedding and sat at another table) because of our trip to the DC Meet in 2011 where Froggie, Doug, Maggie and I explored DC.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100602862375983&set=a.10100602859566613.2562114.22200937&type=3&theater

and the cover was photos of us at various state line crossings/welcome centers:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100602862351033&set=a.10100602859566613.2562114.22200937&type=3&permPage=1

Our guest seating cards were done in a similar way:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150804281343021&set=pb.72868503020.-2207520000.1377117615.&type=3&theater

To keep in with the travel theme - guest favors included luggage tags:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100602860859023&set=a.10100602859566613.2562114.22200937&type=3&theater

Our cake was a cake inside a suitcase:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100602861477783&set=a.10100602859566613.2562114.22200937&type=3&theater

I think it was the first wedding appearance for the Send Help Sign:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100602902590393&set=a.10100602895280043.2562118.22200937&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100602883189273&set=a.10100602882221213.2562117.22200937&type=3&theater

and somewhere someone has a photo of  the Send Help Sign and Stormy the Carolina Hurricanes Mascot.

And you have to throw in the impromptu full fledged road meets at the Post Rehearsal Dinner and Post-Wedding after parties at the hotel bar. 

I have to say weddings have been the most fun of roadmeets - and the most recent one certainly looks like it was no exception!

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on August 21, 2013, 01:59:30 PM
Quote from: froggie on August 21, 2013, 03:23:33 AM

I don't remember the cutout. Did it like Dr Pepper and hate cole slaw like its namesake?
Brian secretly loves cole slaw. And the Steelers.

hbelkins

Only other roadgeek wedding I've been to was Billy Riddle's. Billy and Angie were gracious enough to invite us all to the rehearsal dinner, and the day of the wedding, several of us piled into Jason's van for a trip through west Tennessee, western Kentucky and even a short jaunt into Illinois (via the I-24 and US 45 bridges). I may miss somebody, but along for the ride were me, Seth Dunn, Jeff Kitsko, Doug Kerr and CC Slater.

jpi

I remember that well. I think that was everyone that came along for the ride, fun weekend!:-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Laura

Quote from: CanesFan27 on August 21, 2013, 04:49:59 PM
I have to say weddings have been the most fun of roadmeets - and the most recent one certainly looks like it was no exception!

Aww, thank you! Your wedding looked like so much fun, too! Knowing that you had some roadgeeky elements to your wedding, I purposely did not look at pictures until now because I did not want to copy anything!

I really enjoyed our wedding. It truly was the happiest day of my life, and I'm incredibly blessed to be married to Mike and to be Mrs. MD Roads. I'm blessed that our family and friends, including many of the roadgeeks, could join our special day.

I also loved that we were able to put together all of the fun details to fit the roadgeek theme. I have to say that my Mom was a HUGE help. With the help of my aunt, they made all of the bouquets, boutonnieres, and corsages out of maps. For my bouquet, mom made every petal special, to recognize all of the places I have been, the vacations we went on as a family, and so forth. The boutennieres were made using those souvenir magnets that are in the shapes of the states. Mom also made the name cards. I wrote the cursive on the front and she glued a map that included that table's route number on the back.

She also made all of the coasters, which we used as part of the favors (they were a map of Harford and Baltimore Counties, Maryland, with the text "Laura and Mike August 17, 2013" in the corner. She also helped gather the souvenir mugs that we placed on top of the coasters and filled with 2013 Maryland State Official maps and "road themed" candy (Milky Way, 5th Avenue, York peppermint patties (for the city), etc. We had such a great time scouring flea markets and thrift stores looking for mugs. We didn't get every state, but did find most of them.

Mike created the invitations (map themed) and printed the shields for table numbers. We picked routes that we have traveled together, with the exception of I-190, which we knew we would take on our honeymoon.

Our cake topper was a Precious Moments bride and groom riding in a car. The figurine is called "Wishing You Roads of Happiness". For our guestbook, we had guests sign postcards and had them place them in a suitcase. Our photographer also surprised us with an 11 x 17 picture that he took of us during our engagement session where we are holding a map. So our guests signed that as well.

As a wedding gift, Mike Tantillo gave us a Maryland 817 shield, which we proudly displayed at the reception on the guestbook table. (We are now looking for a good place to hang it in our apartment!)

During the ceremony, my bridesmaid Megan and her husband sang "Bless the Broken Road" as a duet. Before the ceremony, my mom, brother, and I rode to the church in a 1952 Buick. After the ceremony, Mike and I rode in the Buick together to the reception.

I LOVE your programs! They were so detailed! Our programs were the one non-road geek element we had. Mike and I met as co-workers at a publishing company called The Shepherd's Guide and stylized the program to match their books.

I think I covered most of the details. I will post pictures soon, hopefully tomorrow.

JMoses24

Looks like it was a lot of fun! Belated congrats!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.