News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Starved Rock Road Meet - May 17, 2014

Started by Brandon, September 28, 2013, 11:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on May 20, 2014, 02:23:37 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on May 20, 2014, 06:20:18 AM
Feryance? No - we never did.

Did he get lost somewhere along the way? And didn't we lose him somewhere in Dubuque?
Not him, but Mike got lost on the route - we were able to talk him to the right spot, and Chris Tarr had to bug out due to an emergency.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

A.J. Bertin

I felt bad about what happened to David Feryance. I guess it's a good reminder that attendees should have the host's (or someone else's) phone number in case they get lost and need to get directions to join back up with the rest of the group.
-A.J. from Michigan

Brandon

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on May 20, 2014, 09:55:54 PM
I felt bad about what happened to David Feryance. I guess it's a good reminder that attendees should have the host's (or someone else's) phone number in case they get lost and need to get directions to join back up with the rest of the group.

As did I.  That may be a good idea for the next meet.  Place the host's cell number on the directions, or something given out so someone can call in and find everyone again.

Next meet, I'll do exactly that.  Thanks for the idea, AJ.  :cool:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

At Baltimore, I had a spreadsheet of attendees and phone numbers. As we went inside, I knew exactly who hadn't shown up yet, and was able to call one or two. We've gotten away from that lately. It's definitely sound advice.

froggie

I don't think you need to go that far.  As long as at least one person in each vehicle has phone numbers for at least one person in each other vehicle, I think you'd be fine.

hbelkins

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 20, 2014, 06:59:48 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 20, 2014, 02:23:37 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on May 20, 2014, 06:20:18 AM
Feryance? No - we never did.

Did he get lost somewhere along the way? And didn't we lose him somewhere in Dubuque?
Not him, but Mike got lost on the route - we were able to talk him to the right spot, and Chris Tarr had to bug out due to an emergency.

OK, maybe he left the parking garage without anyone noticing his departure.

When Gene VanDusseldorp held his meet in Texas, there were only three of us there. I don't even remember who the third attendee was. He got lost before our first stop.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dougtone

Lately, when I've been preparing the tour itinerary for meets I've hosted, I've included my cell phone number on the itinerary itself.

hbelkins

I gave mine to attendees when I hosted Pikeville and Ashland last year. It came in handy in both cases, as I had a couple of people call or text prior to both meets to say they were running late.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

It is helpful not only for people to have the host's number, but also for the host to have the numbers of attendees. This became a mild problem at my New Haven meet in 2011. An unexpected detour due to a street which had closed within the previous week resulted in one car getting separated from the group, and the same sudden change in construction situation prevented us from stopping where I had intended us to stop. So when we came to a stop elsewhere, not mentioned in the directions, it begged a phone call. Unfortunately I discovered that I did not have the phone number of anyone in that car handy, and I had to rely on other attendees who did to track the lost car down and direct them to our location.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.