News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Any interest in a Quebec City meet next summer?

Started by AsphaltPlanet, October 25, 2013, 12:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Frankenstein

The latter. No conflicting plans on the former, but they're more likely to arise since it's my birthday.

oscar

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on December 26, 2013, 09:41:45 AM
Looking at my calendar, I am thinking this meet will either be on Saturday May 17th, 2014, or Saturday July 26th, 2014.

Any preference?

The former should work well for me, both for my personal schedule and also dodging the peak tourist season.  I will almost certainly have a schedule conflict on the July date, but then my summer schedule already has lots of definite or likely schedule conflicts, hard for any summertime road meet to dodge.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

vdeane

I don't know of any conflicts in my schedule with either right now, but given that I'm unemployed I can't say I'll be able to attend with either date... May in particular is the month I'll go bankrupt if I don't find income.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on December 26, 2013, 09:41:45 AM
Looking at my calendar, I am thinking this meet will either be on Saturday May 17th, 2014, or Saturday July 26th, 2014.

Any preference?

I'd love to try to make this one, so the only date for me would be the July one.  I'm holding my own road meet on May 17th here in Illinois.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

The May date would be better for me (in the unlikely event I can make it) because July 26 is the weekend of our anniversary. Ms1995hoo would like to visit Quebec City, but I doubt she'd be willing to make a road meet part of our anniversary!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

July has later daylight than May, which will help me get up there if I attend, but it's doubtful, so don't let me influence the decision.

AsphaltPlanet

^ Seeing as both dates are about the same distance from the summer solstice, I wouldn't think that the daylight would really be all that different.  Quebec City is fairly far north, so the days will be long either way.

At this point, I am leaning more to the date in July anyways.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Alps

May 17: 5:08 to 20:16
July 26: 5:18 to 20:25

Yeah, it's about the same, but just remember that with the solstice, the latest night occurs after and the earliest morning occurs before.

lordsutch

The July date would fit best in my schedule.

Janko Dialnice

akotchi

The July date is best for me as well.  The May date is my son's college graduation.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

froggie

Might have a wedding (not mine) conflict with the July date.  Won't know for sure for a while.

AsphaltPlanet

I am going to change the date of this meet.  I just found out that this is the same weekend as Toronto's Festival of Beer, and I mean, priorities.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Brandon

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 02, 2014, 05:37:18 PM
I am going to change the date of this meet.  I just found out that this is the same weekend as Toronto's Festival of Beer, and I mean, priorities.

Hope there's no strange brew, eh.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

oscar

Any idea of when the new date will be?  I still like the mid-May date suggested earlier.  If it's going to be another summer date, my summer schedule is already starting to fill up, with the last two weekends of June, the weekend of 7/19-20, and rhe first weekend of August already taken.  While I might have some flexibility to move stuff around a Quebec meet, that flexibility will be pretty limited after the end of February.

oscar

Quote from: oscar on February 09, 2014, 07:57:35 PM

Any idea of when the new date will be?  I still like the mid-May date suggested earlier.

Brandon's Starved Rock meet is now on the May date.  I don't care, but others might.

What about the first two Saturdays in July?  (I have the Extra Miler Club meet in Rochester on July 19, which is why I'm not suggesting that date, as well as wall-to-wall schedule conflicts thereafter into late August.)

AsphaltPlanet

I could probably do either of the first two weekends in July.  To be honest my interest in hosting has waned somewhat, but whatever.  I'd prefer a smaller group anyways, as its easier to host a smaller meet on the fly, then a larger one, especially given the fact that QC is an 8 hour drive from me.

getemngo

I don't know how many of us there are, but I am interested in both the Starved Rock meet and this one (and A.J. may well be in the same boat). Hearing you say "July" makes me optimistic about attending.
~ Sam from Michigan

vdeane

My attendance is doubtful.  At best I will be a couple months in to a new job and have no vacation time.  It's closer than eight hours for me, but I don't want to answer some variant of "so you're driving to Quebec City, immediately driving back, and staying in a hotel two nights?".  Or pay to stay in a hotel two nights that close to the NYC meet right after moving to a new area.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

It being the same weekend as Starved Rock doesn't matter to me, but that's not a bad thing to consider anyways.

At any rate, I want to go to this. Someone make it happen.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

Dr Frankenstein

Scott, I can help with the planning/hosting if you need me to.

AsphaltPlanet

I think I can figure out the tour, but as for restaurants, I could use some assistance with that.

froggie

Any further consideration of this?  My summer is rapidly filling up.

AsphaltPlanet

I haven't made any other considerations for this.  I was really excited for it when I proposed the idea last fall, but my interest level has waned considerably.  The principal reason that I wanted to go is to photograph the Old Quebec Bridge at twilight, which is something that might not work in the context of a road meet anyways.  Plus, I have taken some other cool bridge photos during the past year which has kind of made up for not having a good one of the Quebec Bridge.

For whatever reason, I am also no longer really too keen on making the drive to Quebec City from Toronto this year.  I have driven both A-20 and A-40 before, and the flat terrain of the St. Lawrence river valley, while sometimes bucolic, can also be a tad drab.  I wouldn't mind to do a side trip out to Sherbrooke to check out some of the roads out that way, but to this point, the drive to do so hasn't been strong enough for me to make a commitment.  There are a few other roads that I personally wouldn't mind doing east and north of Quebec City, but none of them that would really fit in the context of a roadmeet unfortunately.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.