News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Corning/Elmira Roadmeet | April 5, 2014

Started by vdeane, February 01, 2014, 11:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

It's happening! We'll meet at the public lots near Centennial Park, which is actually right at a tour stop and within walking distance of many restaraunts. The main eatery for lunch is undecided, somewhere on Market St. There's also a parking garage (I belive free on weekends) nearby if parking in the lot is an issue.

Tour features:
-old NY 414 bridge
-reconstruction of the Patterson Bridge on NY 352
-the recently completed US 15 freeway
-a stop at the PA welcome center in the mountains
-the recently bypassed section of US 15
-I-86 between US 15 and US 220, including the recently rebuilt section in eastern Chemung County
-clinch NY's portion of US 220!
-newly built segments of Chemung CR 60 along I-86
-the closed Lake St bridge in Elmira
-an abandoned arch bridge crossing a side street along NY 352

RSVP is either here or Facebook.

Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/630267123719574/
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

yanksfan6129

I'd be interested in going, if someone can give me a lift from Geneva.

edit: I should add, that would give ample opportunity to clinch NY 14, at least between Geneva to the Pennsylvania/New York line.

froggie

Alas, I'll be in Minnesota that weekend, so no-go for me.

hbelkins

Very doubtful. This is the fourth meet in four weekends that is in close enough proximity for me to attend, but 1.) finances and 2.) the calendar are going to play huge roles in which meets I attend.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

dgolub

I may be able to come.  I have a friend in State College, PA, who's interested, so I may stay there for a couple of nights and we'd head north to Corning for the meet.  I'll figure out whether it's going to work as it gets closer.

AsphaltPlanet

I gave it some thought, as I quite like that part of New York State, but I work on Saturday the 5th.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

A.J. Bertin

I'd love to attend this but it's pretty doubtful. I'm already going to the St. Louis meet on March 15 and the Nashville meet on March 29. I RSVP'ed as a "maybe" on Facebook but my chances of actually going are less than 10%.
-A.J. from Michigan

Duke87

Easy enough trip for me. I plan on attending.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

akotchi

I would be interested in going, but I will be coming home from Parris Island, SC, that day after my son graduates Marine Boot Camp.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

kharvey10

No go for me - that is the week I will be changing employers

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Laura

Mike and I are maybes.

This is very doable as far as distance goes, but I've just heard that my cousin's bridal shower might be either on that Saturday or Sunday, so I can't confirm attendance quite yet.

Also, we need to figure out if three meets within four weeks is in the budget, plus the Open Street Map conference in DC the following weekend.

iPhone

Laura

My cousin's bridal shower is that Sunday and my friends' grand reopening for their martial art school is that Saturday (they were closed for a few years, but are back with a new studio in a new location), so Mike and I are unable to attend the meet.

dgolub

Right now, it looks like they're predicting rain for next Saturday.  Are we still on rain or shine, or is it contingent on the weather cooperating?

vdeane

Rain or shine, though the stop at the abandoned rail bridge might be abridged if it's muddy.  Weather Underground is currently saying 20% chance rain in Corning (though it's 60% for Rome), but those forecasts seem to be quite volatile right now.

Someone remind me to put together a PDF of construction photos.  Actually, since I'm not printing it, I'll just put it on my NYS Roads todo list.

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on March 29, 2014, 05:49:21 PM
Rain or shine, though the stop at the abandoned rail bridge might be abridged if it's muddy.  Weather Underground is currently saying 20% chance rain in Corning (though it's 60% for Rome), but those forecasts seem to be quite volatile right now.

Someone remind me to put together a PDF of construction photos.  Actually, since I'm not printing it, I'll just put it on my NYS Roads todo list.

The weather forecast looks like it's improved over the last 24 hours and they're not predicting rain anymore.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to it!

froggie

Still a full week out, so anything can happen.  72 hours ago, they were expecting a temp of 70F for the Nashville meet.  It never got above 48F.

vdeane

Meet report: http://nysroads.com/corn14.php

Left to right: Adam Moss, Valerie Deane, Anthony Costanzo, Nick Dubanow, Chris Jordan, Dylan Lainhart, Mike Sinsabaugh

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.