Old Traffic Signals

Started by Alex, June 21, 2009, 09:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

Quote from: Big John on July 01, 2017, 06:51:45 PM
^^ My guess is that there is a protected left for oncoming traffic so the green is delayed for that, thus he sign.
The opposite side of the intersection actually did have a left turn signal, but the whole set up recently got replaced by modern equipment.

thenetwork

Quote from: roadguy2 on July 01, 2017, 07:18:03 PM
Quote from: Big John on July 01, 2017, 06:51:45 PM
^^ My guess is that there is a protected left for oncoming traffic so the green is delayed for that, thus he sign.

But why would you ever drive through a red light, even if oncoming traffic was going? I think more people notice that a light is red before noticing that oncoming traffic has a protected left.

The only thing I can figure is that it is an intersection with a longer-than average green cyle for the cross-street and/or opposing traffic in the protected green mode.  Pretty much says "Your light is not stuck on red, you'll get the green soon".

traffic light guy

Anyone who lives outside of PA is lucky,  there are barely any old signals left

US 89

In UT, they are replacing lots of traffic signals these days to the newest UDOT design (which seems to include more straight mast arms than in the past, and less curved ones).

The oldest signal I know of in my area is at 6200 South and Holladay Blvd in Holladay, which has 8" signal heads and even an 8" arrow.

traffic light guy

Quote from: roadguy2 on July 06, 2017, 11:00:10 PM
In UT, they are replacing lots of traffic signals these days to the newest UDOT design (which seems to include more straight mast arms than in the past, and less curved ones).

The oldest signal I know of in my area is at 6200 South and Holladay Blvd in Holladay, which has 8" signal heads and even an 8" arrow.
8-inch arrows are now deemed illegal, how are those guys still up!?!?!?!

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on July 08, 2017, 08:01:16 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on July 06, 2017, 11:00:10 PM

8-inch arrows are now deemed illegal, how are those guys still up!?!?!?!

They're not illegal. They're just not permitted to be installed anymore.

Here's two up-pointing green arrows in Seattle: https://goo.gl/BpxTdC (two of what I'm sure is only a handful left in this state).

For what it's worth, British Columbia has many, many 8-inch arrows. They continue to be installed to this day.

US71

I found a nice 4-Way in Newport, TN last week.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ColossalBlocks

An old green traffic signal in Trenton, NJ (credit to Wikimedia).

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on September 14, 2017, 03:35:15 PM

An old green traffic signal in Trenton, NJ (credit to Wikimedia).

About half of Trenton's traffic lights are around the same age as these!

ColossalBlocks

Can I put old railroad crossing signals here?

If so.

Ye ol' Iron Mountain Railway.

OracleUsr

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on January 28, 2017, 01:20:15 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 05, 2017, 10:51:54 PM
Okay, I'll show you people old. Here's some Semaphore traffic signals:

http://www.galleryoflights.org/mb/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-6637

Question; What's that tiny red light under the green one?

The small light beneath the green indication is actually an amber signal, not a red light. In its cycle, several seconds before the traffic signal changed from green to red, the amber light on the bottom would flash several times as an indicator of this transition.

When my parents and I were in London back in mid-80's they had a similar thing where the light would change from red to a flashing yellow, then green, IIRC for a pedestrian signal to work.

Throughout England and Scotland, to boot, right before you got a green light, you would have a red and yellow light at the same time.

Pretty cool, indeed.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

ColossalBlocks

Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania.

US71

US 81 Medford, OK

No longer exists
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

thenetwork

Quote from: US71 on September 21, 2017, 08:40:50 PM

US 81 Medford, OK

No longer exists

The town, or the signal???   :)

Porksoda

Here are some more unique signals from Darien, Connecticut. It's funny how such an extremely wealthy town has some of the oldest and most mis-matched traffic signals I've ever seen!

US 89

I don't have a picture, but after a recent trip to the area, there are several 8"  signals on University Dr in Fort Worth. The one that I remember that sticks out was at the crosswalk signal on the TCU campus.

traffic light guy

The other day, I found some mast-arm supported 1970's-era 12" Eagle flatbacks along the Huntingdon Pike:

ASUS Chromebook C202SA

Treliazz

I have a question, When were Blackplates made ? Early 1940's, or 1950's?

plain

Quote from: Treliazz on November 06, 2017, 01:00:51 AM
I have a question, When did Blackplates was made ? Early 1940's, or 1950's?

That's a great question. I want to know the same thing. And whenever it was I'm guessing if it didn't start in California then it was definitely one of the first states to use them
Newark born, Richmond bred

Treliazz

I really want to know what decide were backplates made?

Treliazz

I think those are Backplates in the early 1940's?

jakeroot

Quote from: Treliazz on November 07, 2017, 11:24:44 PM
I really want to know what decide were backplates made?

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure any of us have any idea what decide backplates were made. I would also like to know, though.

plain

Quote from: Treliazz on November 07, 2017, 11:26:54 PM
I think those are Backplates in the early 1940's?

Looks like a backplate to me. Any idea what state that is?
Newark born, Richmond bred

Treliazz

jakeroot

Quote from: Treliazz on November 28, 2017, 11:51:07 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3528238,-119.0189962,3a,15y,306.95h,93.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1su6X2mCmrbJ7YUW_3xNmwKw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Is that Green or Yellow on the signal?

They look to me like they were originally yellow, but painted green. But that's a far fetch. I don't think any city in California has ever used yellow signals. Perhaps that's why they might have been painted.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.