News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Odd meet trivia

Started by hbelkins, March 21, 2014, 09:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Last weekend: meet in St. Louis (western end of I-64).

This weekend: meet in the Hampton Roads area (eastern end of I-64).

Have meets ever been held at each end of one road on consecutive weekends?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

getemngo

I'm too lazy to sort through the list, but there were barely any meets on consecutive weekends, period, before 2009.
~ Sam from Michigan

SSOWorld

a road meet on consecutive weekends is commonplace nowadays with today's internet.  Hurts attendance for the most part.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Takumi

When I hosted Richmond in 2012, I had never attended a road meet before. I believe this has only happened one other time.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

getemngo

Quote from: Takumi on March 21, 2014, 10:51:12 PM
When I hosted Richmond in 2012, I had never attended a road meet before. I believe this has only happened one other time.

JMoses' Cincinnati meet in 2013? Or has there been another one?

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 21, 2014, 10:43:28 PM
a road meet on consecutive weekends is commonplace nowadays with today's internet.  Hurts attendance for the most part.

Or when Lawrence, KS and Columbus both happened on May 14, 2011. Or like the weekend last year Alps, A.J. Bertin, rawmustard, and I had an unofficial gathering in Michigan the same weekend as someone else's meet (I think in Ohio).

But meets are becoming so common that some of these conflicts are getting unavoidable.
~ Sam from Michigan

Duke87

Quote from: getemngo on March 21, 2014, 11:15:27 PM
Or when Lawrence, KS and Columbus both happened on May 14, 2011. Or like the weekend last year Alps, A.J. Bertin, rawmustard, and I had an unofficial gathering in Michigan the same weekend as someone else's meet (I think in Ohio).

That was Cleveland, a much hyped road meet which ended up drawing a total of four people: Adam Moss, Daniel Case, Brandon Gorte, and myself. The person who originally proposed it didn't even show up, Adam had to take over organizing it. :pan:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Laura

From a long distance standpoint, yes. But from a local standpoint, not really.

Yes, St. Louis and Hampton Roads/Delmarva are back to back, but  they are also in different regions of the country. Having the back to back meets affects people who have the means and desire to go to both but can only choose one, but most of the Hampton Roads/Delmarva attendees are from the east coast and weren't planning on St. Louis anyway. There are 10-11 people coming, which is still a decent sized meet. I believe Oscar and I will be the only people  to attend both STL and HR/D.

If you didn't know my plans for April 5, you could assume that I'm skipping Corning/Elmira because it's two weeks after Hampton Roads/Delmarva, but I have plans that weekend (including my friends' business grand opening, my uncle's annual hunting club benefit dance, and planning and co-hosting my cousin's bridal shower) that make it unrealistic for me to attend.

hbelkins

I did consecutive weekends a few years ago (Michigan and Poughkeepsie) but decided after that I probably wouldn't ever do back-to-back long trips like that again. The next two weekends are a bit different, because I'd had my eyes on a Hampton Roads meet ever since the idea was floated, and the Tennessee meet is so close to home. That, and the fact that I don't really like the drive to St. Louis, is what kept me from choosing STL over Hampton Roads. The drive to Elmira/Corning is a lot more scenic, but I've done it so many times that the lack of new territory to explore is one of the reasons I'm not going there and opted for Hampton Roads instead.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

Quote from: Laura on March 22, 2014, 03:10:43 AM

From a long distance standpoint, yes. But from a local standpoint, not really.

Yes, St. Louis and Hampton Roads/Delmarva are back to back, but  they are also in different regions of the country. Having the back to back meets affects people who have the means and desire to go to both but can only choose one, but most of the Hampton Roads/Delmarva attendees are from the east coast and weren't planning on St. Louis anyway.

Attending meets on back to back weekends is not inherently an issue for me: I will be in Delmarva tomorrow, in Nashville next weekend, and in Corning the weekend after that.

What is an issue is that if a meet is far enough away so as to require taking vacation time to drive to, I can only attend so many of those since vacation time is finite. This, in part, is why I was never seriously looking at going to St. Louis: I've already driven the most direct route there which could barely be squeezed into a day and a morning, so any routes which cover new territory would have required taking three days off from work (Thursday, Friday, and Monday). Also, since St. Louis has an MLB team, it is guaranteed to be the destination for a future trip that my father and I take (likely in 2016). This means that for me to have gone there now would have been redundant.

Nashville, meanwhile, only requires two days off, and I do not foresee having a specific reason to go to there at some other date in the future. So, it just made sense from a practical standpoint for me to choose it over St. Louis. Of course, the fact that I ended up having family obligations last weekend then sealed the deal.

That said, if I didn't have family obligations and vacation time wasn't an issue, I still likely would not have gone to St. Louis simply because four road meets on four consecutive weekends is too much. I've done two before, I'm trying myself here by doing three!

For similar reasons, I had to forego attending Hampton Roads today in favor of doing just Delmarva tomorrow. I will be away for four days next weekend, so I can't be away both days this weekend or else when am I going to get stuff like laundry done?

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

bugo

Have there been meets in Kansas City and Chicago on consecutive weekends?

SSOWorld

Quote from: bugo on March 23, 2014, 02:28:11 AM
Have there been meets in Kansas City and Chicago on consecutive weekends?
110 of them (oh wait - a pun on the imaginary highway ;) )
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.