News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Pikeville encore?

Started by hbelkins, June 10, 2014, 11:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

I know there were multiple ICC meets a few years ago that were held to accommodate some who weren't able to make it to the first meet.

I've been giving a little thought to doing another meet to duplicate last fall's meet I hosted to show off the construction of US 460 (Appalachian Corridor Q) south of Pikeville. I know there were some people who wanted to attend but weren't able to, and I don't know if I will be able to travel for any meets this year.

It would be a shorter meet (no trip to Grundy, Va.) than last October, and I might save the overlook of the cut-through project for last. Otherwise, the sights would mostly be the same: the US 23 interchange, construction in the Greasy Creek and Marrowbone areas, the big bridge at Breaks, Va., and possibly the new bridge and grade work off KY 1373 in the Elkhorn City area.

I don't have any dates in mind whatsoever, but I'd like to do it before the road opens later this fall.

Any interest?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

QuoteI know there were multiple ICC meets a few years ago that were held to accommodate some who weren't able to make it to the first meet.

Moreso to accommodate separate sections of the ICC opening a year apart.  The analogy would be if you were to hold another Pikeville meet to show progress (or even a segment opening) on Corridor Q from what had existed during the last meet.  If anything, I'd suggest waiting until right after the road opens (if it indeed opens later this fall).

A.J. Bertin

I would be interested... definitely. I would hope that it doesn't conflict with (or is too close) to the NE Alabama meet that Cody Goodman is hosting in late October or early November.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on June 10, 2014, 12:21:38 PM
QuoteI know there were multiple ICC meets a few years ago that were held to accommodate some who weren't able to make it to the first meet.

Moreso to accommodate separate sections of the ICC opening a year apart.  The analogy would be if you were to hold another Pikeville meet to show progress (or even a segment opening) on Corridor Q from what had existed during the last meet.  If anything, I'd suggest waiting until right after the road opens (if it indeed opens later this fall).

That would work. The only section that is going to open is from US 23 to KY 195, so we could still see construction on the Virginia portion and around Elkhorn City. For some reason, I thought the ICC meets were held only a couple of months apart.

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on June 10, 2014, 01:28:14 PM
I would be interested... definitely. I would hope that it doesn't conflict with (or is too close) to the NE Alabama meet that Cody Goodman is hosting in late October or early November.

God willing, I want to try to make that meet.

jpi

I am ok with this, still not sure on Cody's meet because this falls around the time of mine and Steph's wedding anniversary.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Duke87

There were three ICC meets. The first was immediately after the western segment opened. The second was immediately after the eastern segment opened but it was Thanksgiving weekend and a lot of people who wanted to go couldn't make it. So there was a third the following weekend for that group.

So, this would have the relationship that the second and third ICC meets had with each other, except nearly a year apart rather than a week apart.

There have been other meets that got duplicated due to split attendance (Ottawa comes to mind), but as best I can telly none were separated by more than a couple weeks.

Since I was at the original Pikeville meet I would not be attending take 2 if there were to be one. But you may have valid reason to pursue this nonetheless.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

There were a number of people who weren't able to attend last October (Brian Reynolds, AJ Bertin, Billy Riddle, Richard Ruffner, and a bunch of others) who might want to attend an encore. I wouldn't expect any of those who traveled great distances to the first one to make a return trip unless they have other routes they want to travel or counties to visit while in the area.

oscar

Quote from: froggie on June 10, 2014, 12:21:38 PM

Moreso to accommodate separate sections of the ICC opening a year apart.

But there were two ICC meets one year a few weeks apart, with similar itineraries.  One was during the long Thanksgiving weekend, and the second a do-over for those who couldn't make the first one.

There were also two Ottawa meets one year, also similar itineraries some weeks apart, for the same reason.

I went to both those ICC meets, but only the second Ottawa meet.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Bitmapped

There are some things in the general Pikeville-Grundy area that I'd like to see so I'd potentially be game for coming back down for a meet, but I'd wait until after some of the road is open to traffic so there's something new to see.

getemngo

I'd love to do this, though I'm doing everything in my power to make it to Cody's Alabama meet (which looks to be late October/early November), and I might be hosting a meet in Indiana in late September/early October.
~ Sam from Michigan

bugo

This might be doable for me.  I'd stop by Newport and pick Tim up because it wouldn't really be out of the way.

bandit957

Quote from: bugo on June 12, 2014, 11:23:21 PM
This might be doable for me.  I'd stop by Newport and pick Tim up because it wouldn't really be out of the way.

Either that, or I can just take Greyhound - or maybe I can fly in.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

codyg1985

I would be interested in an encore once the road opens to traffic. As others have mentioned, I am planning on doing my NE Alabama Road Meet probably around November 1st October 25th, so if it ends up falling on that weekend, I would probably be out.

There are a lot of counties in eastern Kentucky that I need to get.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

I know Jeremy's just being his usual self here, since he thinks the reason I didn't go to St. Louis was because he and Tim were there. He forgets that Tim came to Ashland last year and I went to OKC a few years ago when he was there for the first day. St. Louis was my fourth choice out of the four meets in a row back in the spring, mainly because I hate the drive out there and I had done it last year on my way to the Dubuque meet. I could only attend two of the four meets and Tennessee was so close it was a no-brainer. I'd been wanting to attend a Hampton Roads meet because I wanted to drive US 58 and US 460 again, so it was the winner. My third choice would have been the Elmira-Corning area meet because the scenery on that drive is much better than along the drive to St. Louis.

But seriously, there really was a move afoot to get commercial airline service to Pikeville in the not-too-distant past. I don't remember whatever became of it. I am not sure if Pikeville is still served by a commercial bus service or not.

As for the date, I wouldn't conflict with Cody's meet because if finances permit, I want to try to make it to that one. I will wait to find out when the road is going to open and then work around that date. More than likely I'll be asked to take pictures or shoot video of the ribbon-cutting ceremony as part of my official duties, even though it's not in my office's area of responsibility.

JMoses24

Quote from: bugo on June 12, 2014, 11:23:21 PM

I'd also like to attend. I don't know if Greyhound goes down there. Since I don't drive, I'll have to figure out logistics.

Laura

I would also be interested in an encore once the road opens to traffic. I really want to clinch the rest of the US highways that I need in southwest Virginia and would use another Pikeville meet as a chance to do so.

iPhone

hbelkins

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/home/headlines/KSP-and-transportation-officials-working-to-keep-drivers-off-unopened-Pike-County-highway-267079531.html

According to this story, the timetable for opening the road is between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Therefore, I would probably wait until next spring to do anything, if I do opt for an encore.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.