News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

California drought doesn't end brown lawn warnings

Started by ZLoth, July 18, 2014, 03:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

Only in California.... :pan: from SF Gate:

California drought doesn't end brown lawn warnings
Laura Whitney and her husband, Michael Korte, don't know whether they're being good citizens during a drought or scofflaws.

On the same day the state approved mandatory outdoor watering restrictions with the threat of $500 fines, the Southern California couple received a letter from their city threatening a $500 penalty for not watering their brown lawn.

It's brown because of their conservation, which, besides a twice-a-week lawn watering regimen, includes shorter showers and larger loads of laundry.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

bing101

This is one factor that can cause California to split into 6 states and its water policies. I'm not surprised that Sacramento and Solano counties are the scapegoats for the rest of the state. The delta Tunnel in Rio Vista is one factor and water rationing policies that the Sacramento Valley and Delta had to take to conserve water.

roadman

Quoteso long as it's aesthetically pleasing and it's not blighted

Great reasons to force people to waste water - not!
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

NJRoadfan

They could always spray paint it green. I saw that trick in NC one year when they had a drought. Of course they could appeal any legal action as state law supersedes any municipal ordinance or (gag) HOA.

Duke87

Better question: why the fuck are there ordinances saying you can be fined for not watering your lawn?

Once more unto the entitled suburban asshole problem. "My neighborhood must be perfect, everyone's lawn must be green!"
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Crazy Volvo Guy

QuoteOn the same day the state approved mandatory outdoor watering restrictions with the threat of $500 fines, the Southern California couple received a letter from their city threatening a $500 penalty for not watering their brown lawn.

I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Jardine

Just so discouraging that so many fucktards are running municipal, county, state, and national government.

A rational society would machine gun a few egregious examples every year, and then bask in better governance . .

ET21

It's a "health" concern for having a brown lawn.  :eyebrow:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

golden eagle

I was in Sacramento just after Labor Day. My uncle told me that people who are caught watering their lawns could face a $250 fine.

DTComposer

Sorta related - as I drive down Interstate 5 there are signs off to the side to the effect of "Stop the Politician-Created Water Crisis" "Less Water=Less Food=Less Jobs," etc.

I'm no expert on agriculture, politics or hydrology, but, droughts aside, isn't the water crisis the result of building one of the largest agricultural regions on earth in a semi-arid climate?

(and building one of the largest cities on earth in a similar semi-arid climate as well...)

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: DTComposer on October 31, 2014, 07:46:52 PM
Sorta related - as I drive down Interstate 5 there are signs off to the side to the effect of "Stop the Politician-Created Water Crisis" "Less Water=Less Food=Less Jobs," etc.

I'm no expert on agriculture, politics or hydrology, but, droughts aside, isn't the water crisis the result of building one of the largest agricultural regions on earth in a semi-arid climate?

(and building one of the largest cities on earth in a similar semi-arid climate as well...)

Bingo.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.