News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Possible Annapolis mini-meet (dinner meet) in September?

Started by hbelkins, May 05, 2015, 03:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

There's a possibility I'll be attending AASHTO's TransComm conference (the national conference for transportation communications folks) in September in Annapolis. Looks like every evening of the conference is tied up with official events (reception on Sunday, host state dinner on Monday and awards banquet on Tuesday), but since the conference doesn't end until 2 p.m. on Wednesday, the Kentucky contingent will probably stay Wednesday night so we aren't driving home so late and getting back well after midnight.

This would leave Wednesday, Sept. 16 open for an evening dinner meet for anyone who's in the area and could make it.

I immediately thought of Mike T., Mike and Laura, CPZ, Oscar and Elliott (talllguy). Any others in the area?

I'd probably be constrained to meeting in Annapolis, and probably would have to have someone pick me up at the hotel.

It's not definite that I will be attending, but I hope to be able to. I already have approval at work if I want to come. It's just a matter of scheduling, and if I can handle the up-front expenses for which I'll have to wait six weeks for reimbursement. (Money problems suck, especially if they present obstacles to professional development opportunities that would be both educational and fun).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

lepidopteran

jpi

Hmm, I will be in central PA on the last weekend of September (only 90 minutes away) but not sure if I will be in town around the time of the conference, will keep this in mind, thanks for the heads up :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on May 05, 2015, 03:59:31 PM
There's a possibility I'll be attending AASHTO's TransComm conference (the national conference for transportation communications folks) in September in Annapolis. Looks like every evening of the conference is tied up with official events (reception on Sunday, host state dinner on Monday and awards banquet on Tuesday), but since the conference doesn't end until 2 p.m. on Wednesday, the Kentucky contingent will probably stay Wednesday night so we aren't driving home so late and getting back well after midnight.

This would leave Wednesday, Sept. 16 open for an evening dinner meet for anyone who's in the area and could make it.

I immediately thought of Mike T., Mike and Laura, CPZ, Oscar and Elliott (talllguy). Any others in the area?

I'd probably be constrained to meeting in Annapolis, and probably would have to have someone pick me up at the hotel.

It's not definite that I will be attending, but I hope to be able to. I already have approval at work if I want to come. It's just a matter of scheduling, and if I can handle the up-front expenses for which I'll have to wait six weeks for reimbursement. (Money problems suck, especially if they present obstacles to professional development opportunities that would be both educational and fun).

I would love to catch up with you!  There are many good places to meet in Annapolis (in addition to being the state capitol, it is also the seat of Anne Arundel County, my "second home" county in Maryland, so I know the turf there very well).

One place that immediately comes to mind is Buddy's in near the Annapolis waterfront, if you want reasonably good seafood.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

yanksfan6129

I am planning on moving to DC area within the next month, so I'd definitely be interested in this.

bugo

I'd be interested if my finances are in good order at that time. I can pick up US 71, bandit, and another person if they want to ride with me.

Takumi

If I've found another job by then, I may be interested. It'd give me the chance to clinch US 301 in Virginia and a few other things.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

I just registered for the TransComm conference. So it looks like I'm committed to attending. I'll be free about anytime after 3 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 16. We've got plenty of time to think about this and plan for it, but as of now, it looks like I will be there.

I also expect to be free Sunday night, Sept. 13, after about 7:30 p.m. if anyone else in the area is.

kj3400

I live right up MD 2, so I'll come on down, engagements notwithstanding.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

hbelkins

This is what I'll be attending. There are at least nine from Kentucky attending, possibly more. About half the Kentucky contingent is flying and the other half is driving. Most who are driving (including me) have decided to stay Wednesday night so we're not getting back home at an ungodly hour late Wednesday night/early Thursday morning. I don't know what the rest of those who are staying Wednesday night have planned but I'm willing to forego their plans for a mini-roadgeek meet or get-together.

Laura

hbelkins

Looks like this is happening. CPZ has taken the lead on trying to get things scheduled and organized. I know he's been in contact with several on Facebook and a handful on here who aren't on Facebook (Oscar, definitely).

Ping him for the details, but it looks like this is going to happen Wednesday night, the 16th.

jpi

Too bad it was not 2 weeks later, Steph and I will be in central PA from 9/26 to 10/3 along with a side trip to AC, NJ Sunday night and Monday. Have fun guys but if anyone wants to meet up 2 weeks later... ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

Nope. Braces and crap I need to get done with my teeth. Ugh.

hbelkins

Thanks to those of you who came out (Mike T., Laura and Mike, Oscar and CPZ). And thanks to Lepidopteran for coming to join us as well. Special thanks to CPZ for the tour of the area earlier and for treating me to dinner. Since this is likely the closest thing to a roadmeet I'll get to experience for a long while, it was much appreciated. I am grateful for you guys coming down to see me in Annapolis.

US71

Quote from: bugo on May 08, 2015, 01:41:08 AM
I'd be interested if my finances are in good order at that time. I can pick up US 71, bandit, and another person if they want to ride with me.
We'd never make it: we'd be stopping every 5 miles for photos ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on September 18, 2015, 03:57:06 PM
Thanks to those of you who came out (Mike T., Laura and Mike, Oscar and CPZ). And thanks to Lepidopteran for coming to join us as well. Special thanks to CPZ for the tour of the area earlier and for treating me to dinner. Since this is likely the closest thing to a roadmeet I'll get to experience for a long while, it was much appreciated. I am grateful for you guys coming down to see me in Annapolis.

It was fun to catch up with you - and to clinch all of I-395 in Virginia and D.C.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.