News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interest in a Seattle-area dinner gathering?

Started by froggie, July 08, 2015, 07:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Seattle-area folks,

I'm flying into SeaTac on the 29th for a few days.  Gauging if there's any interest in meeting up for dinner or a short roadtrip while I'm out there.

jakeroot

I did not notice this thread until your message last night. Whoops.

As I said in the message, I am definitely in for whichever city you'd prefer (both if you want).

Bruce

As I said in my message, I would love to join you guys.

Bickendan

I took the 31st off for this. We doing Seattle or Portland?

froggie

Ack....you did that just before I could let you know that I have an engagement the evening of the 31st (as part of the group I'm joining for the train trip).

My initial plan (still subject to change) is looking like popping down to Portland after I get in on the 29th, heading back up on the 30th and mulling around the Puget Sound area, then we're off on our train trip afternoon of the 1st.

Bruce

So, where and when exactly are we going to meet up? I need to plan out my bus commute down.

froggie

Best bet for me right now is looking like the 30th.  I have no idea where to go...does someone local want to take that up?

Bickendan

Ok, the 30th. Just need a where and when. My Thomas Guide will sort out the rest...

Bruce

Since you're coming in on Thursday, we could swing by the East Portal Viewpoint from 9:45 am to noon or 1:15 to 2:40 to see the I-90 floating bridges emptied for the Blue Angels practice. (WSDOT page)

Empty freeways are really fun to see and you can walk down the hill onto the bike path for a closer look (and great car-less photos!).

froggie

I'll be driving up from Portland on Thursday morning so I likely won' make it for that morning viewing.  I have other people in town I'll be trying to catch up with, so that's why I was thinking the best bet is some sort of dinner gathering.  I could also do some roadgeeking Friday morning as well...I'll be staying in Ballard Thursday night.

froggie

I wanted to apologize to those I was in contact with for this falling through.  Had a busy day today but managed to make it to Seattle.  Standing in line at a food truck in Ballard for dinner.

jakeroot

I had to jump over to Hawaii for a couple days, so no loss to me. I got the feeling a few weeks ago that this wasn't well enough planned. Luckily there's always next time.

Bruce

I decided to head down to Tacoma today to at least see if the commute was feasible. Turns out it was and Tacoma is quite nice if you look past the homeless population.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on July 31, 2015, 12:14:44 AM
I decided to head down to Tacoma today to at least see if the commute was feasible. Turns out it was and Tacoma is quite nice if you look past the homeless population.

At least it's not as bad as Seattle. ;-)

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on July 31, 2015, 08:53:52 AM
Two words:  Tacoma aroma.  Blech.

You can only smell the paper mill once every three or four weeks. It's not like it used to be.

Bruce

Yeah, I smelled a bit of the aroma when I was walking around. Wasn't really that bad with my bad sense of smell.

Also, I found this little gem on Pacific Avenue just south of its closed overpass:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.