Corridor H (Va., W.Va. and Md.) Meet - Late Spring/Early Summer 2016

Started by cpzilliacus, September 13, 2015, 09:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

It's been a little while since there's been discussion about the Corridor H meet. This is definitely a meet I'm planning to attend in 2016 (I'll at least attend Day 1).

Just curious... Patrick, are you still thinking Memorial Day weekend?
-A.J. from Michigan

cpzilliacus

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on December 26, 2015, 12:49:15 PM
It's been a little while since there's been discussion about the Corridor H meet. This is definitely a meet I'm planning to attend in 2016 (I'll at least attend Day 1).

Just curious... Patrick, are you still thinking Memorial Day weekend?

Yes, been doing a fair amount of prep work. since I last posted.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PHLBOS

CP, I saw your recent FB event invite (and I'll admit that I haven't followed this thread until now).  Unfortunately, Memorial Day weekend is out for me due to my being in Massachusetts for that entire holiday weekend.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jpi

I am down as a maybe but if I can get Memorial Day off then it will turn into going.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

I am down as a maybe, I guess it depends on my work situation then.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

noelbotevera

UPDATE: I'm no longer attending this meet due to the central PA meet.

AsphaltPlanet

I don't normally attend a lot of meets, but I do have some interest in attending this one.  Corridor H looks like its worth a drive.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

jpi

It looks like now I am 75% going, Chances are my wife may not make it but I am good as long as I can get Memorial Day off from work.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cpzilliacus

I have posted an event on Facebook at this link, but will update here as well.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jpi

Just checked out lodgeing around the Winchester\ Front Royal area and rates are better then I thought around the 65.00 to 85.00 a night range for Friday some a little higher, not sure about Saturday so just a suggestion to maybe go ahead and at least book to lock in the rate, if something comes up you can always cancel.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Also I want to mention, Elkins may be a good Saturday night lodging option, unless the itinerary changes.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

SSOWorld

Quote from: jpi on January 01, 2016, 04:37:15 PM
Also I want to mention, Elkins may be a good Saturday night lodging option, unless the itinerary changes.
No, not H.B. ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jpi

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 01, 2016, 08:27:34 PM
No, not H.B. ;)
See what you did there! :awesomeface:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 01, 2016, 08:27:34 PM
No, not H.B. ;)

No, 'cause I live a good five hours from Elkins.

I've spent the night in Weston and Buckhannon before, but never in Elkins.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

I usually stop for the night in Weston, WV on my way home from Pittsburgh when I do the Steel City Con show, usually the Super 8 and is pretty nice. Still go a few months so waiting to see how this pans out as to where I will stay on Saturday, I already booked a room for Friday in Front Royal but I may even change that to Strasburg off I-81, especially since I coming straight up from middle TN (not planning on going to PA on this trip)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Just found out a BIG change in plans, I am afraid I may not be able to attend this now, the reason being is the toy convention Steph and I plan to go in Connecticut in June is now the weekend after Memorial Day and with taking an extra day off that week it looks like I am going to have to pass on this :-( I have travelled all of Corridor H several times in the past 10 years so I have seen the progress going good, also my drive to New England would involve going up the I-81 corridor and it would be 2 weeks in a row of doing this, also I will get to see a lot of you at my meet in April. :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

I am all but certain that I will not make this one due to work-related reasons, but I do plan to be at Jason's meet in April.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

codyg1985

Has there been any additional details about this meet? There is a greater chance of me attending now.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

A.J. Bertin

I echo Cody's question. I am hoping this meet still takes place. I'm planning on taking the Friday off work before Memorial Day weekend to drive down, and I'd like to put in my time-off request sooner rather than later. (Other folks might want to do the same since we're only two months away now.)

Any updates or info would be greatly appreciated. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

cpzilliacus

I have the routing for both days down and importing it into ARCGIS so I can make maps and come up with a trip itinerary. 

I can report a piece of good news about the segment of newest Corridor H between Kerens (apparently the correct pronunciation is "kerns") and the (new and as yet unbuilt) U.S. 219 Connector in Tucker County.  WVDOT/DOH awarded a contract to Kokosing in Fall 2015, and construction is under way, at least just north of the current "dead end" at Kerens. 

cpzilliacus

Tentative Saturday meet time is at 11:00 AM at the Cracker Barrel fronting on U.S. 340/U.S. 522 north of I-66 in Front Royal. For those interested, meet earlier (9:00 AM) to look at three Virginia DOT construction projects in the northern Shenandoah Valley, including the bridge replacement of Va. 624 (Morgan Ford Road) over the Shenadoah River.

For those that would like to park-and-ride, there is a large VDOT commuter lot just south of the I-66 interchange. I will likely be renting a car to get several people back to their cars after the second day concludes.

Second day (Sunday) meet tine at 10:00 at the Sheetz on U.S. 219/U.S. 250/W.Va. 55/W.Va. 92 (Beverly Pike) in Elkins (a mile or two south of downtown Elkins).

All times still tentative.

codyg1985

Where is the recommended location of lodging for Saturday night?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

cpzilliacus

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 18, 2016, 07:24:03 AM

I will probably be staying at the Hampton Inn in Elkins (I need a room for myself because of snoring), conveniently located "behind" the Sheetz store where we will plan to meet for an MTO breakfast (H/T H.B. Elkins) on U.S. 219/U.S. 250/W.Va. 55/W.Va. 92 (Beverly Pike).

There are other lodging opportunities near Weston (about 38 or 40 miles away via Corridor H) Buckhannon (such as this, about 28 miles away, also via Corridor H) and around "metropolitan" Elkins as well.

hbelkins

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 18, 2016, 07:24:03 AM

I have stayed at the Microtel in Buckhannon, which is far and above what one would normally expect from that chain, and the Quality Inn (formerly Comfort Inn) in Weston. I have never spent a night in Elkins, so I can't recommend lodging there. JPI has stayed at a couple of other places in Weston and might have a suggestion.

Buckhannon also has a Hampton and a couple of highly-rated independent motels.

I do know there is a hotel in Elkins, formerly a Days Inn but possibly now an independent, that used to be a hospital.

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 18, 2016, 07:22:51 AM
Tentative Saturday meet time is at 11:00 AM at the Cracker Barrel fronting on U.S. 340/U.S. 522 north of I-66 in Front Royal. For those interested, meet earlier (9:00 AM) to look at three Virginia DOT construction projects in the northern Shenandoah Valley, including the bridge replacement of Va. 624 (Morgan Ford Road) over the Shenadoah River.

For those that would like to park-and-ride, there is a large VDOT commuter lot just south of the I-66 interchange. I will likely be renting a car to get several people back to their cars after the second day concludes.

Second day (Sunday) meet tine at 10:00 at the Sheetz on U.S. 219/U.S. 250/W.Va. 55/W.Va. 92 (Beverly Pike) in Elkins (a mile or two south of downtown Elkins).

All times still tentative.

I'm looking forward to the maps and itinerary. There is a possibility that I may be able to make a good portion of this meet, if a couple of things fall into place between now and then. It's doubtful that I can make it to the I-81 corridor by Saturday morning, however. I will most likely have a work-related conference in Frankfort on the Friday preceding meet weekend, and the drive from Frankfort to the Shenandoah Valley area of Virginia after the conference concludes is probably too long for me to have a shot to make it to my destination before dark. (I wouldn't dare drive in that area of West Virginia or Virginia at highway speeds after dark because of the possibility of hitting a deer). I may have to "JIP" on Saturday somewhere along the route.

If the agenda of the conference in Frankfort is not up to my liking, then I will not attend, and will instead use Friday as a travel day and be there for the start of the meet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on April 18, 2016, 02:33:52 PM
I'm looking forward to the maps and itinerary. There is a possibility that I may be able to make a good portion of this meet, if a couple of things fall into place between now and then. It's doubtful that I can make it to the I-81 corridor by Saturday morning, however. I will most likely have a work-related conference in Frankfort on the Friday preceding meet weekend, and the drive from Frankfort to the Shenandoah Valley area of Virginia after the conference concludes is probably too long for me to have a shot to make it to my destination before dark. (I wouldn't dare drive in that area of West Virginia or Virginia at highway speeds after dark because of the possibility of hitting a deer). I may have to "JIP" on Saturday somewhere along the route.

If the agenda of the conference in Frankfort is not up to my liking, then I will not attend, and will instead use Friday as a travel day and be there for the start of the meet.

Maps still in process.  A lot of work because there is a lot of GPS log data to process. 

Regarding deer, there are plenty of them in the mountains (but you know that as well as anyone I know). 

It is my understanding that the bucks are not chasing after the does until rut season in the fall, so there is somewhat less risk of hitting one out on the highways.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.