News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Corridor H (Va., W.Va. and Md.) Meet - Late Spring/Early Summer 2016

Started by cpzilliacus, September 13, 2015, 09:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tckma

Quote from: vdeane on May 09, 2016, 05:24:48 PM
In all honestly, most of us here probably only know about the reckless driving law because we're roadgeeks.  I doubt most of the general public is aware.  It's not something that comes up if you don't live in Virginia.

I had a co-worker who had to go get a lawyer and nearly lost his clearance because of it.  Then again I live in Maryland and work in the DC area as a Federal Government contractor.  The Reckless Driving law is well-known around here.  In Texas, there are places where the speed limit is 80.

froggie

QuoteIn all honestly, most of us here probably only know about the reckless driving law because we're roadgeeks.  I doubt most of the general public is aware.  It's not something that comes up if you don't live in Virginia.

As tckma indicated, most Virginians (and even adjacent Marylanders) are aware of the reckless driving law.  Your point is mainly valid for outside-of-Virginia folks.

Thing 342

Quote from: froggie on May 10, 2016, 08:27:02 AM
QuoteIn all honestly, most of us here probably only know about the reckless driving law because we're roadgeeks.  I doubt most of the general public is aware.  It's not something that comes up if you don't live in Virginia.

As tckma indicated, most Virginians (and even adjacent Marylanders) are aware of the reckless driving law.  Your point is mainly valid for outside-of-Virginia folks.
I'm not so sure. There are no signs pointing out the law anywhere, and it's not taught in the state drivers' ed course, so I have no idea where people would know this from other than from word of mouth. I also see a lot of VA-plated cars doing 80 on I-85 and I-64.

CanesFan27

Quote from: froggie on May 10, 2016, 08:27:02 AM

And it's well known in North Carolina also.

froggie

Quote from: Thing 342I'm not so sure. There are no signs pointing out the law anywhere, and it's not taught in the state drivers' ed course, so I have no idea where people would know this from other than from word of mouth. I also see a lot of VA-plated cars doing 80 on I-85 and I-64.

That is not an excuse.  The Virginia Driver's Manual makes it clear on more than one page that it is the responsibility of Virginia drivers to know and follow traffic laws.  The DMV website shows it under points and violations.  There have also been a number of news articles written about it over the years, including on Jalopnik, the Washington Post, and Patch.  Last year, there were also TV news stories when the General Assembly attempted to adjust the law.

And if you're an out-of-state driver driving in a given state (and this holds true everywhere), you are still expected to follow the traffic laws of the state you are traveling through.

There are a number of resources to learn/know about the law, including from the Code of Virginia itself.  Not knowing the traffic laws of Virginia, ESPECIALLY if one is a Virginia resident, is nothing more than ignorance, apathy, or laziness.

hbelkins

Most of the cars I've seen driving at an excessive rate of speed in Virginia have in-state plates.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Not to side track the current conversation but just want to let you all know, BIG change in plans, I am still going to the toy convention near Hartford, CT the weekend after thi road meet but now I am back on board for going to this meet! :) Just me, Steph is not able to get the time off and I have scrapped my plans to got to Maine (not going to Maine without Steph ;-)) so I have booked my rooms for Friday night and Saturday night, looking forward to seeing everyone! :bigass:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Takumi

Quote from: hbelkins on May 11, 2016, 04:41:43 PM
Most of the cars I've seen driving at an excessive rate of speed in Virginia have in-state plates.
I only do it where I know the cops don't hang out. And even then, not often.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

noelbotevera

Quote from: jpi on May 12, 2016, 07:54:57 PM
Not to side track the current conversation but just want to let you all know, BIG change in plans, I am still going to the toy convention near Hartford, CT the weekend after thi road meet but now I am back on board for going to this meet! :) Just me, Steph is not able to get the time off and I have scrapped my plans to got to Maine (not going to Maine without Steph ;-)) so I have booked my rooms for Friday night and Saturday night, looking forward to seeing everyone! :bigass:
Second meet I'll be seeing you. This will be interesting.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jpi

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 15, 2016, 05:13:39 PM
Quote from: jpi on May 12, 2016, 07:54:57 PM
Not to side track the current conversation but just want to let you all know, BIG change in plans, I am still going to the toy convention near Hartford,
Second meet I'll be seeing you. This will be interesting.
Get used to it ;-), once you start going to more road meets you will see a lot of the same people with a few different ones, I have been going to road meets for over 10 years and average around 3 to 4 a year give or take. :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

If all goes well on Saturday, then I'm in, but I still don't know my plans for Friday evening yet. I definitely know making it to Front Royal on Friday is out of the question, but the decision I have to make is whether I want to stay on the I-64 or I-81 corridor, or on the Corridor H corridor, and finish the drive to Front Royal Saturday morning (or, possibly join the meet tour in progress.) Still awaiting a detailed itinerary and schedule to help me make that decision.

Departing Frankfort, Ky., between 1430 and 1500 means I realistically only get, at maximum, five hours of daylight driving since I'll be going east and into the mountains.

jpi

I am staying in Front Royal Friday night since I will be coming up 40-81 from middle TN (just have to remember to take 66 at the split ;-) ) then staying in Weston on Saturday night, then after the meet wraps up on Sunday will be heading to the Harrisburg\ York area.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

Unless something very unforeseen happens, I'm in. Everything fell into place yesterday. Still unsure of travel plans. I will realistically only have five hours of daylight driving time Friday afternoon/evening, leaving from Frankfort, Ky., so logical stopping points would be Weston or Buckhannon, WV, if I choose the I-64/I-79/Corridor H route to Front Royal, or Beckley or Lewisburg, WV, if I opt for I-64/I-81.

Still undecided for Saturday night's lodging. Elkins is full up unless I can score a good "Name Your Own Price" deal on the Hampton, which is the only hotel in town that has a vacancy. Buckhannon or Weston are the likely choices. I'll be staying in Front Royal Sunday night, most likely.

At least four attendees (Cody, AJ, Sam and Brian) are staying in Clarksburg Friday and Saturday nights. You all may be interested in knowing that a Primanti Bros restaurant has opened in the area if you choose to try it for one of your evening meals.

CanesFan27

Quote from: hbelkins on May 22, 2016, 04:01:56 PM
Unless something very unforeseen happens, I'm in. Everything fell into place yesterday. Still unsure of travel plans. I will realistically only have five hours of daylight driving time Friday afternoon/evening, leaving from Frankfort, Ky., so logical stopping points would be Weston or Buckhannon, WV, if I choose the I-64/I-79/Corridor H route to Front Royal, or Beckley or Lewisburg, WV, if I opt for I-64/I-81.

Still undecided for Saturday night's lodging. Elkins is full up unless I can score a good "Name Your Own Price" deal on the Hampton, which is the only hotel in town that has a vacancy. Buckhannon or Weston are the likely choices. I'll be staying in Front Royal Sunday night, most likely.

At least four attendees (Cody, AJ, Sam and Brian) are staying in Clarksburg Friday and Saturday nights. You all may be interested in knowing that a Primanti Bros restaurant has opened in the area if you choose to try it for one of your evening meals.

Why don't you just currently reserve at the Hampton?  You can always cancel - and if a lower price comes up for the Hampton Inn it's very easy to have the rate adjusted lower. 

I never get all the hand wringing some folks publicly share with everyone when a meet is announced, you either can make it, can't, or if you are unsure just wait until you know for sure.  The "i think i can make, i can make, no, I cant, wait I can" that makes up a lot of these threads are sometimes quite comical.

AsphaltPlanet

I am planning to come to this meet as well.  Probably just for the saturday tour though.  I'm going to to do my own thing on Sunday I think.  It'll be nice to meet some new people.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

noelbotevera

I'm out for the count on Sunday. Elkins is three to four hours away and my dad can't do it for that long. Saturday should be good, Winchester is only an hour away.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

tckma

Where in Winchester are we meeting up on Saturday (and at what time)?

Don't know if I'll do Sunday as well.  I need to take care of my dogs at some point and while they love car rides, I don't think there are any pet-friendly hotels without huge pet charges in the area.

hbelkins

Quote from: tckma on May 23, 2016, 12:02:43 PM

Cracker Barrel in Front Royal at 11 a.m. for lunch. There's a pre-lunch tour commencing at 9 a.m. to see some VDOT projects in the area.

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 22, 2016, 09:25:16 PM
I'm out for the count on Sunday. Elkins is three to four hours away and my dad can't do it for that long. Saturday should be good, Winchester is only an hour away.

Except that the meet starts in Front Royal (close to Winchester) and proceeds westward toward Elkins. You guys will have to peel off the tour at some point along US 48 if you don't want to go all the way to Elkins.

tckma

Quote from: hbelkins on May 23, 2016, 12:08:16 PM
Quote from: tckma on May 23, 2016, 12:02:43 PM

Cracker Barrel in Front Royal at 11 a.m. for lunch. There's a pre-lunch tour commencing at 9 a.m. to see some VDOT projects in the area.

Thank you!

ModernDayWarrior

I was really hoping to make it to this, but it's not going to work out for me this time. Hopefully I'll finally be able to make my first roadmeet later this summer and get to meet some of you.

cpzilliacus

I have uploaded the meet notes to Dropbox hereEDIT: Make sure you have the version with the list of latitudes and longitudes at the end, which includes a few corrections.

27 38 pages of text and graphics. 

Pre-meet will start at 8:30 AM at the Sheetz on U.S. 11 (1574 Martinsburg Pike, Winchester, VA 22602, cross street Amoco Lane) between VA-37 and I-81 (exit 317) on the north side of Winchester.

Main part of the meet will start at the Cracker Barrel, at 11:00 AM - located off of U.S. 340/U.S. 522 just north of I-66. 
Address is 15 RIVERTON COMMONS PLAZA  Front Royal, VA 22630-6768.

Sunday part of the meet starts at 10:00 AM the Sheetz in Elkins (on U.S. 219/U.S. 250/WV-55), 1601 Beverly Pike, Elkins, WV 26241. 

H/T H. B. Elkins for suggesting that we try an Sheetz MTO meet sometime.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: ModernDayWarrior on May 23, 2016, 08:21:03 PM
I was really hoping to make it to this, but it's not going to work out for me this time. Hopefully I'll finally be able to make my first roadmeet later this summer and get to meet some of you.

See you sometime soon.  Sorry you cannot make it.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 24, 2016, 11:00:16 PM
H/T H. B. Elkins for suggesting that we try an Sheetz MTO meet sometime.
I'd most likely be up for that. I'd have liked to attend this one, but too many bills due this time of year.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

codyg1985

I am getting an indication that this meet may be referred to as the "Sheetz Meet." :P
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

I took the liberty of looking up some of the more complicated routing changes on Google maps, marked them up, and posted the photos on the Facebook event page.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.