News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Corridor H (Va., W.Va. and Md.) Meet - Late Spring/Early Summer 2016

Started by cpzilliacus, September 13, 2015, 09:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 25, 2016, 09:11:01 AM
I am getting an indication that this meet may be referred to as the "Sheetz Meet." :P

I do not own any stock in Sheetz (FWIW, I think it is all closely held by the family).

They are spread around the meet area pretty well, and they usually have clean restroom facilities, hence my motivation for including so many. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on May 25, 2016, 03:13:14 PM
I took the liberty of looking up some of the more complicated routing changes on Google maps, marked them up, and posted the photos on the Facebook event page.

Thank you for doing that.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

tckma

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 24, 2016, 11:00:16 PM
I have uploaded the meet notes to Dropbox hereEDIT: Make sure you have the version with the list of latitudes and longitudes at the end, which includes a few corrections.

27 pages of text and graphics. 

I downloaded the DropBox app on my phone (as dropbox is blocked by my employer) and took a cursory look at the itinerary.  I'll need to look at it again on a real computer when I get home tonight.

This will be my first roadgeek meetup -- I've only ever conversed with fellow roadgeeks online and I haven't been an active AARoads forum participant very long at all yet.  I'm not quite sure what happens.  I get that we drive, we geek out over signs and roads and construction, we socialize and make friends who share our interest... but not having been on a roadgeek meet yet I'm not entirely sure what to expect.

At the moment, I plan to go at least for the main part of the meet on Saturday.  I did not book overnight accommodations, and I'm not sure if I'm doing Sunday yet.  I live in Westminster, MD which looks to be about 3 1/2 - 4 hours drive from the Saturday endpoint and Sunday start points so that is doable.

A big problem is that my wife is currently overseas and won't be returning to the USA until June 6; there was a death in her extended family and she decided to travel for the funeral.  So I'm taking care of our 3 dogs (mini schnauzers, about 25 pounds each).  The good news is that all 3 of our dogs love love LOVE road trips (they are truly MY dogs...), so I can conceivably bring them with.  I'm not so worried about bathroom stops for them as there are plenty of Sheetz stops (another factor in my decision to go on this meet).  However, I *am* worried about leaving them in a potentially hot car at the Cracker Barrel while we eat lunch; I'd rather not do this for even 10 minutes.

They are typically pretty good at home during the 8 hours I'm gone during the day.  Things start to get problematic if I leave them alone more than 12 hours.

So -- estimating 2 1/2 hours to Winchester, an hour or so for lunch, maybe about 5 hours for the drive to I-79, and another 4 back home (like I said I haven't looked at the meet notes too carefully yet).  That's 13 1/2 hours -- getting iffy but it's probably do-able.

My next-door neighbors have been taking the dogs out while I'm at work, but I'd like to give them a break from that on weekends.  Though I'm sure they'd take them out if I asked; I've been asking a lot of them while my wife is gone.

My wife, were she not already traveling, would probably want to come with me but then decide to stay at home with the dogs.

My gut instinct is to bring the dogs along, not do the Saturday morning pre-meet, show up later to the Cracker Barrel so I don't have to leave them in the car, and get an MTO lunch at one of the many Sheetz stops instead.

What do you folks think I should do?

noelbotevera

Some interesting things to note from some online browsing about the itinerary:

This point of Western Maryland is very narrow, so from some places visibility is so large that you can see West Virginia and Pennsylvania.

I-68 has some mileposts that are orange and have a duck with a number below it. This was part of a game handed out by welcome centers along the state named the "Maryland Mountain Game", where you would mark the mileposts where you found these duck mileposts (if I remember correctly).

Along the Cumberland Thruway is old overpass signs that have the old MD font, but is considerably faded. I think that some signs are still up in the field that refer to I-68 as US 48 too, as the changeover seems recent (1991).

Great itinerary overall. I'm still on the fence if I can attend the meet.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on May 25, 2016, 03:13:14 PM
I took the liberty of looking up some of the more complicated routing changes on Google maps, marked them up, and posted the photos on the Facebook event page.

Thank you.

I have incorporated your images into a new revision of the meet notes, which is now online.

cpzilliacus

I have uploaded the revised meet notes to Dropbox here.  EDIT: Make sure you have the version with the list of latitudes and longitudes at the end, which includes a few corrections.

27 pages of text and graphics.

Pre-meet will start at 8:30 AM at the Sheetz on U.S. 11 (1574 Martinsburg Pike, Winchester, VA 22602, cross street Amoco Lane) between VA-37 and I-81 (exit 317) on the north side of Winchester.

Main part of the meet will start at the Cracker Barrel, at 11:00 AM - located off of U.S. 340/U.S. 522 just north of I-66.
Address is 15 RIVERTON COMMONS PLAZA  Front Royal, VA 22630-6768.

Sunday part of the meet starts at 10:00 AM the Sheetz in Elkins (on U.S. 219/U.S. 250/WV-55), 1601 Beverly Pike, Elkins, WV 26241.

H/T H. B. Elkins for suggesting that we try an Sheetz MTO meet sometime.

noelbotevera

cpzilliacus

Quote from: tckma on May 25, 2016, 04:43:08 PM
My gut instinct is to bring the dogs along, not do the Saturday morning pre-meet, show up later to the Cracker Barrel so I don't have to leave them in the car, and get an MTO lunch at one of the many Sheetz stops instead.

What do you folks think I should do?

Do the MTO food, maybe at the Sheetz in Moorefield, W.Va.

cpzilliacus

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on May 28, 2016, 10:21:24 PM
CP, thanks for hosting the meet, you did a great job.

It was nice to meet all of the new faces.

Great pictures!  Thanks for sharing!

cpzilliacus

Thanks to all that attended the Corridor H meet! Pictures to come.

tckma

This was a fantastic meet for my first ever roadgeek meetup.  I'm glad I went and got to meet some of you.  I warn you that I'm positively terrible with names, though.  Thanks to CPZ for hosting.

I'll have to do the last two stops on my own at some point.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: tckma on May 30, 2016, 01:55:43 PM
This was a fantastic meet for my first ever roadgeek meetup.  I'm glad I went and got to meet some of you.  I warn you that I'm positively terrible with names, though.  Thanks to CPZ for hosting.

I'll have to do the last two stops on my own at some point.

Sorry that the darned rain showed up uninvited!

hbelkins

I mentioned that I had a photo of the construction for that big bridge over old WV 55. Here it is, taken on a snowy Saturday morning back in February 2004.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

hbelkins

Whatever happened to the group photos that were taken?

Also, did the guy who was going to write the news story ever do so, and did it get published? And is it viewable on the Web?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

I was wondering that too, especially the group pic, have not seen anything on here or FB and I plan to upload some of my pics this weekend.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.