News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

St. Louis 2016 Roads Meet - July 8-10

Started by kharvey10, November 29, 2015, 12:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kharvey10

The date will be July 8 to 10.  Preliminary information will be posted next week.

Friday night will strictly be a social event.  If any roadgeeking is done during the day Friday it is likely an "on your own" type of event.

One of the full days will be going to predetermined sites that will be announced later.  The other will likely be devoted to Route 66 related stuff and is being spearheaded by another member of the group.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1009425805787742/

Information as of 6/24/16 - https://kharvey10.wordpress.com/2016-st-louis-roadgeek-meet-july-8-10/

SSOWorld

I'm going to have to pass on this one.  I have limited vacation time after a job change and will be using it (possibly) for Duluth.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

US71

Quote from: kharvey10 on November 29, 2015, 12:40:55 AM
Our original plan was to have the meet in either May or June, however, scheduling conflicts and/or lack of hotel availability in those two months has forced us to decide on July 8-10 on a tentative date.  Please keep in mind that this date is not set in stone at this time and it is possible it may have to be moved to a different weekend in the fall.

Friday night will strictly be a social event.  If any roadgeeking is done during the day Friday it is likely an "on your own" type of event.

One of the full days will be going to predetermined sites that will be announced later.  The other will likely be devoted to Route 66 related stuff and is being spearheaded by another member of the group.

If you believe it should be held on a different date, please speak up before January 10, 2016.

Tentatively, yes.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Highly unlikely unless someone wants to pay my way.

Looks like this year is going to be the first year in several that I haven't attended a meet, and it looks increasingly like that's going to be the norm for the indefinite future.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on November 30, 2015, 12:18:42 PM
Highly unlikely unless someone wants to pay my way.

Looks like this year is going to be the first year in several that I haven't attended a meet, and it looks increasingly like that's going to be the norm for the indefinite future.

You could start a GoFundMe ;)

bandit957

Possible, but unlikely, since I plan to move to Detroit in the near future.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Darkchylde

Depends on how quickly I can get my pickup bought and fixed.

Brandon

Saturday, July 9th should be an easy day trip for me.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

TheHighwayMan3561

If I have everything in order for my Duluth meet three weeks following this one I'll be there.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ModernDayWarrior

I hope to be able to attend this. These road meets sound extremely interesting (I'm new to this community and have never been to one), and this meet would be right in my neck of the woods.

The proposed date works for me, as far as I can tell.

mariethefoxy

Careful not to get your hubcaps stolen off your Wagon Queen Family Truckster if you take a wrong turn there.

jpi

I am good for Friday and Saturday (July 8,9) but July 10 I will be set up in Bridgeton for the Toyman toy\ pop culture show until 3pm then maybe if there is evening festivities I could participate.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

kharvey10

There is a chance that the meet will be held on a different weekend other than the one tentatively scheduled.  My nephew has personally objected to me having an event that weekend - I cannot tell the reason why at this time.  May and June there are lack of hotels in the area where we stayed in 2014 due to various youth softball and/or soccer tourneys scheduled in the area.  October and November are the busiest times of the year at my employer.

If there are alternative weekends in mind please put them down.  The last weekend of March, and the majority of the weekends in April are out due to previous commitments.

jpi

June 17, 18, 19 maybe? That weekend would be great for me.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US71

Quote from: jpi on December 26, 2015, 01:45:01 PM
I have a show in Kansas City that weekend. :(

jpi

Quote from: US71 on December 26, 2015, 10:00:03 PM
I have a show in Kansas City that weekend. :(
Ironically I have a show in St. Louis that weekend. :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

route56

If my left foot cooperates, I would be interested.

One thing for me, though: being a duel threat roadgeek/railfan, I'd probably be looking into taking the River Runner from Kansas City to St. Louis and (unless it wouldn't be necessary) renting a minivan in STL for the meet.

[the KC-St. Louis run has been part of all three of my rail journeys: 1995, 2012, and 2015]
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

jpi

Scratch this, If all works out my wife and I will be enroute from New England to mid TN that weekend wrapping up our tentative summer vacation to New England.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

kharvey10

It will be July 8-10.  I will have preliminary information posted sometime next week.

US71

Quote from: kharvey10 on January 25, 2016, 08:32:55 PM
It will be July 8-10.  I will have preliminary information posted sometime next week.

Hoping to make it this year.
--

Minivan would be a bad idea Richie: my new van is more a cargo van so there isn't much seating.

jpi

Cool, should still be good for most of the weekend, again Sunday I will have the Toyman show going on in nearby Bridgeton.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

route56

Quote from: US71 on January 26, 2016, 10:28:23 AM
Minivan would be a bad idea Richie: my new van is more a cargo van so there isn't much seating.

I just bought a new car this weekend. (2013 Nissan Sentra) I'll probably wind up driving it instead.

Advantage to whomever rides with me: my ADA privileges won't expire until the end of July :)
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

kharvey10

Will post a preliminary list of plans for the meeting on the Facebook Group sometime this afternoon. 

kharvey10

There will be revisions to the plans posted today in the facebook group.  A couple bridges to the north of St. Louis are being added due to their doomed status for the Sunday portion after consultation from another local roadgeek. 

kharvey10

As of 6/24/16 this is the planned list of events for the 2016 Roadgeek Meet in St. Louis.  It is subject to change

https://kharvey10.wordpress.com/2016-st-louis-roadgeek-meet-july-8-10/

One of the facebook group admins is having an exhibit at the Missouri History Museum from June 25 through July 2017

http://www.mohistory.org/route66

The meet will include 3 bridges that are confirmed to be doomed, sections of sidewalk highway, an interchange construction project, and recently reopened riverfront in downtown St. Louis.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.