News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Louisiana roadmeet Sept. 3 & 4, 2016 ** CANCELLED**

Started by cjk374, September 07, 2015, 03:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

In one year I will try my best to host a successful roadmeet here in my home state. It will be a 2 day meet in 2 different parts of the state. After all...Louisiana is like 2 different countries between north & south Louisiana.

Details are sketchy at best at this time, but I know that Saturday will take place in the Shreveport area and Sunday will take place in the Lafayette area.  It is 206 miles straight down I-49 between Shreveport and Lafayette (I-49 is posted at 75 mph...all other interstates are 70). I use the word "area" to mean that we will start in Shreveport & Lafayette but may end up going out of the cities. I know Shreveport like the back of my hand, but Lafayette is gonna take alot of exploring on my part before the meet.

I do not have a facebook account. Therefore the only announcement of this meet is here and on biproads.com. These will be the only 2 places that I will be able to receive any RSVPs. I will bump this thread up as time goes by so that everyone will be reminded about it so that plans can be made. I wanted to give a one year notice now so that those interested can start planning now.

A couple of things to keep in the back of your mind:

1.  This will be in the middle of hurricane season. Shreveport is high ground, Lafayette is not. Now I would not have the meet driving around in hurricane-like weather in either place, but the hotels will fill super fast if one starts churning in the Gulf. If one is in the Gulf at that time, but projected landfall is Monday or Tuesday (Labor Day or the day after) Lafayette will be cancelled and I will try to have an alternate plan in place. I will suggest that a close eye be on the weather.

2. Speaking of weather...it is usually still hot as hell in the first part of September. Humidity is elevated here as well. But if you don't like the weather here, just wait 5 minutes and it will change. We have had cooler weather hit in the first part of September. Just check the weather forecasts here before you pack.

3.  When booking rooms in Shreveport...may I suggest Bossier City. Shreveport has become unpleasant over the last decade, but many of the motels right off I-20 aren't too bad. Try to stay away from Jewella Ave., N. Market St., & Cooper Rd. If anyone knows where to avoid in Lafayette please let us know.

If anyone has a suggestion about where to go & what to see in these area, please let me know & I will try to work it into an itinerary. I hope y'all can make it down here, and I hope y'all enjoy yourselves when you get here.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

oscar

What meet-worthy new construction, or highway openings, do you expect by next fall? In particular, where will construction be (in progress or completed) on filling the I-49 gap north of I-220, by this time next year? 

I was in Shreveport one day in June. I drove the part of I-49 that just opened north and south of the LA/AR state line. Boring, but something people could clinch on their way to or from the meet.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cjk374

I-49 north of Shreveport is a yawn fest...except for the new pothole in the brand new concrete because of possible soil failure (north bound lanes). The 49/220 interchange has been underway now for about a month or two. It will still be in full swing by next year. I don't believe any more of I-49 will be open until the interchange is complete.

The Jimmy Davis Bridge over the Red River will be closed for deck work and a purple paint job. Those are the only major projects that I know of at this time.

jpi

I will keep it on the back burner, is something I am interested in like the Duluth, MN meet.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

As much as I would love to attend this meet and visit Louisiana for the first time, it's pretty unlikely that I will be able to go. 2016 for me is shaping up to be another very busy year travel-wise and Louisiana is quite far from Michigan. It sounds very interesting though!
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Nope. Even if I could afford to attend, which isn't likely and probably will never, ever be again (being broke sucks beyond anything that has ever sucked before), the 2nd is my anniversary. Don't think I could get by with using my anniversary as a travel day to get to a road meet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

I am going to do my best to make this meet. It depends on what other things are going on. Labor Day presents a lot of choices of events for me, but I still want to make this happen.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

US71

Definitely interested, time and finances permitting.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

Due to extenuating circumstances at my work that is beyond my control, I am having to cancel the Louisiana meet that I was intending to host on Labor Day weekend. I deeply apologize for any inconvenience and raised hopes that have been dashed that this may have caused.

Maybe next year.  :-(  :-(

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.