News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Grand Canyon State Logo Signs Thread (Arizona)

Started by Pink Jazz, February 03, 2016, 11:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

Since I had a thread about logo signs in Phoenix, I decided to start a new thread about them statewide instead of bumping the old thread.

Here are the latest updates for different urban areas of the state:

Phoenix

• Installation on the newly widened portion of Loop 202 was originally scheduled for late last year around the same time the US 60 Superstition Freeway was getting them, but has now been pushed back to May of this year.  Engineering studies have been completed.
  • SR 143 will also be getting logo signs this May.
  • To my surprise, the remaining portion of I-17 south of Dunlap will in fact be getting logo signs this April, despite substandard shoulder width.  ADOT must have really experienced engineers to allow logo signs on this portion of I-17.
  • A few exits on the remaining portion of I-10 will also be getting logo signs this May, including two exits near Downtown Phoenix (7th Street and 7th Avenue, which I presume they will only be getting them installed one way due to the tunnel).
  • The remaining portion of Loop 101 will get logo signs in May as well.
  • Engineering studies for Loop 303 have not been completed yet, but from what I last heard it was supposed to start in 2018.

Tucson

• Engineering studies for the first logo signs in the Tucson area on I-10 have been completed, with installation commencing next month.  The first phase starting next month will include exits from Tangerine Road in Marana to 22nd Street in Downtown Tucson, followed by 6th Avenue near Downtown Tucson to Wilmont Road in southeastern Tucson in April.
  • No current installation timeline for I-19, since the engineering studies have not been completed yet.

Flagstaff and Yuma

• Flagstaff and Yuma are now apparently part of the urban program, since brand new logo boards have been installed in both areas, replacing the existing logo boards.  However, they continue to use 60x36" logos (instead of the typical urban 48x36" logos), probably for the existing businesses don't have to fabricate new logos.

I also wonder if Casa Grande will eventually be migrated to the urban program, since they now have a population of over 50,000.  Perhaps they are waiting for the next Census in 2020.

Statewide, there appears to be tremendous growth in participation of the logo sign program over the past year.  Apparently the proliferation of smartphones isn't having any effect at all on participation of the logo sign program.

Pink Jazz

Just as an update, as far as logo signs go on the future South Mountain Freeway, I just got confirmation that Grand Canyon State Logo Signs will administer the logo sign program on the South Mountain Freeway.  I was wondering about that, since the South Mountain Freeway is ADOT's first P3 project.  While ADOT retains ownership of the freeway, the selected vendor will be responsible for the final design, construction, and 30-year maintenance.  The 30-year maintenance agreement made me wonder whether the logo signs will be provided by GCSLS or if they would be the responsibility of the private partner either directly or through an advertising company.

Pink Jazz

As an update, it looks like the logo sign installation for the Phoenix area is pretty much complete.  There is even an unconfirmed report of a few that have even popped up on Loop 303 despite being originally planned for 2018.  Tucson along I-10 is mostly complete as well.  Several of the newest logo signs along I-10 in Phoenix and Tucson can be seen on Google Street View.  Still no word on I-19 within Tucson, since I-19's Street View images within Tucson are not up-to-date.

Zonie

Quote from: Pink Jazz on July 24, 2016, 08:11:08 PM
As an update, it looks like the logo sign installation for the Phoenix area is pretty much complete.  There is even an unconfirmed report of a few that have even popped up on Loop 303 despite being originally planned for 2018.  Tucson along I-10 is mostly complete as well.  Several of the newest logo signs along I-10 in Phoenix and Tucson can be seen on Google Street View.  Still no word on I-19 within Tucson, since I-19's Street View images within Tucson are not up-to-date.

Driving SB 303 today, I can confirm there was one prior to the Bell Road exit.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Zonie on July 24, 2016, 11:21:15 PM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on July 24, 2016, 08:11:08 PM

Driving SB 303 today, I can confirm there was one prior to the Bell Road exit.

Thanks.  It will be a while before they appear on Google Street View though because that portion of Loop 303 was photographed as recently as April.  Hopefully the GCSLS website updates their interactive map soon.

Pink Jazz

The interactive map GCSLS website has just been updated with the locations of the new logo signs in Phoenix and Tucson, however, the photos haven't been posted yet.  Also, the logo signs on Loop 303 still haven't been added to their interactive map, so it must have been within the past month.

Pink Jazz

It has been a while since I posted about logo signs in the Phoenix area, however, it appears that two additional Phoenix-area cities have allowed the placement of trailblazer signs on local right-of-way.  Phoenix and Avondale were the first two cities to allow it in 2014, followed by Glendale in 2015.  The two additional cities that have approved it are Mesa, which approved it earlier this year, and Gilbert, which approved it last month.

Also, it appears that Subway may be doing away with its "triple stripe" design on its logo signs with its new 2017 logo, since in Phoenix there is a logo board that has the new Subway logo on it and it only has a single logo on it and horizontal (not rotated as the alternate version of the Subway logo signs had).  The "triple stripe" Subway logo on logo signs dates back even before the Fogle era logo was introduced.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.