News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How come there is two spurs Interstate 185 & 385 into Greenville, SC?

Started by ACSCmapcollector, July 06, 2016, 09:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSCmapcollector

I wonder about the history of Interstate Highway portions in Greenville, SC?   Can someone clue me in, to what happened over there?

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

jbnv

Perhaps there was a plan to have a 285 through the city and they cancelled part of it in the middle? That's how New Orleans ended up with 310 and 510--It was planned as a loop 410 but they cancelled the part in the middle.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

WashuOtaku

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on July 06, 2016, 09:26:12 PM

I wonder about the history of Interstate Highway portions in Greenville, SC?   Can someone clue me in, to what happened over there?

I don't know the specifics as to why they choose two spurs, but the reason may have to do with existing plans and timing.  Before the Interstate Highway System, US 29 in South Carolina was already being rerouted onto new Super-2 highways in the Upstate.  By 1957, US 29 was already on a Super-2 from the Anderson area to US 25, south of Greenville.

Then I-85 happened.  The Super-2 was widen to four-lane and new freeway east of US 25 was built.  US 29 was then placed back on its former alignment through Greenville and I-185 followed it; the former US 29 bypass became part of I-85 and SC 291.  I-385 was constructed and completed around 1962-64.  In some of the early mock-ups of the proposed route, there was to be an freeway through the city, which obviously didn't happen; but the end-points exist and thus its served by two spurs.

Later, I-385 would be extended south of Greenville, replacing US 276 to I-26 in 1985.  In 2001, I-185 was extended south on new toll road that nobody uses.

Mapmikey

The "yellow book" showed a freeway all the way through Greenville (though not using I-385 particularly, it appears).

I-385 was briefly proposed as I-285.  Also I-585 was briefly proposed as I-385.  When I get home from work I can put up a scan showing this (as well as I-20 being considered for where I-126 runs).  I will also check the thorough history of the SC Hwy Dept book to see if they get into this specific question...

Mapmikey

Checking my history book, it only mentions that Greenville wanted I-26 to run by it.  Didn't cover at all how the 3dis got there.

Only I-185 south of what is today's US 25 routing was part of US 29 Business before.  North of that was new construction as an interstate.

I think this came from a now defunct website that had numerous urban interstate proposals...

kurumi

The defunct website was from Stephen Summers (dead link: http://nwindianahwys.homestead.com/nonindiana.html)

Archive.org link: (a lot is missing; wish it was back online): link
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

emory

Huh. That's three cities I'm aware of now: Greenville, Tampa, and Miami, that have two neighboring interstate spurs that begin with digits 1 and 3.

silverback1065

Quote from: emory on July 11, 2016, 02:44:36 AM
Huh. That's three cities I'm aware of now: Greenville, Tampa, and Miami, that have two neighboring interstate spurs that begin with digits 1 and 3.

were 175 and 375 originally supposed to go further?

emory

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 12, 2016, 07:02:35 PM
Quote from: emory on July 11, 2016, 02:44:36 AM

were 175 and 375 originally supposed to go further?

Yes. 175 was to be part of the Pinellas Belt Expressway, and 375 part of a freeway connecting to Clearwater. Both canceled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.