News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Latest meet for 2016?

Started by hbelkins, July 21, 2016, 04:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Is Alabama on Oct. 8 the latest meet currently planned for this calendar year? Anyone have anything in mind for October or November?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

There was talk of something in Battle Creek, MI, but nothing definitive.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

rawmustard

Quote from: vdeane on July 21, 2016, 10:24:53 PM
There was talk of something in Battle Creek, MI, but nothing definitive.

I'm aiming for Veterans Day weekend, but like I say, details will come in due course.

hbelkins

I ask for two reasons. First is that I might actually get to attend a meet this fall, and I note that the Alabama meet is in early October. Not sure of anything feasible in August that I could attend, and September is probably out (if there are any meets planned) because I will likely be attending the TransComm meeting (AASHTO Subcommittee on Transportation Communications) in Charleston, WV that month.

Second is that I'm giving some thought to throwing together a small meet in Lexington this fall. I'd have to work around the Keeneland fall racing meet and UK football's home schedule, plus any other meets in the general area. Attractions would include Kentucky's first DDI (US 68/Harrodsburg Road and KY 4/New Circle Road), the new flyover at US 60/Versailles Road and KY 4/New Circle Road, the New Circle widening project and the KY 922/Newtown Pike extension project downtown.

bandit957

This year has actually been very light on meets.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jpi

Depending on my toy show schedule, I could definently swing a Lexington meet this fall, first weekend in November I know is out, 2nd weekend could work since I have a toy show in Dayton, OH scheduled for Sunday so I could do Saturday in Lexington.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

vdeane

Given that I've already committed to Birmingham, I doubt I'd be doing Lexington this year, as fun as it sounds.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dougtone

I've been debating hosting an Ashtabula County, Ohio meet in the fall, early November. I wouldn't place high odds on it, but it is within the realm of possibility.

A.J. Bertin

I would love to attend a Lexington meet, but with everything I have going on, there's not really a way I can swing it this fall. If you were talking instead about hosting it, say, next spring, I'd be much more able to attend.
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: bandit957 on July 22, 2016, 01:13:15 PM

I'm not sure how you figure this. There have been a lot of meets hosted this year.
-A.J. from Michigan

Brandon

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 25, 2016, 09:24:12 PM

I'm not sure how you figure this. There have been a lot of meets hosted this year.

Maybe just meets either he a) didn't get to, or b) wanted to go to.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bandit957

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 25, 2016, 09:24:12 PM

Compared to 2013 thru 2015, they weren't very big.

Duke87

By my count there have been 7 meets so far this year (with 3 more scheduled later, for a total of 10):
Tuxedo (4/2)
York (4/9)
South Bend (4/30-5/1)
Corridor H (5/28-29)
Toronto (6/11)
St Louis (7/9)
New Haven (7/23)

For comparison, by this date in 2015, there had been 9 meets already held (with 2 more yet to come, for a total of 11):
Cape May (1/3)
Baltimore/Eastern Shore (3/14-15)
Scranton (3/21)
Madison (4/18)
Utica/Rome (5/2)
Lyndon VT (5/9)
Denver (5/30)
Buffalo (7/18)
Walker County AL (7/25)

So the number of meets is only slightly lower than it was last year. The geographic distribution, however, is definitely different: this year is proving to be quite light on east coast meets.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

Not sure I'd call 4 out of 7 "quite light"...

bandit957

The roadmeet to end all roadmeets was in St. Louis in 2014. That was huge. Nothing this year even approaches it.

dgolub

Quote from: bandit957 on July 28, 2016, 02:56:38 PM
The roadmeet to end all roadmeets was in St. Louis in 2014. That was huge. Nothing this year even approaches it.

How about Corridor H?  That was pretty huge.

Brandon

You missed York, PA, which had just as many people, if not slightly more.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on July 28, 2016, 07:09:43 PM

St. Louis was huge for different reasons. There are few meets that will forever be talked about.

jpi

I will admit 2014 STL Meet was huge in turnout and legendary in what all took place. My meet was one of the biggest in terms of turnout in recent years and still worked out well giving the surprise mother nature had for us in the morning.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

Quote from: jpi on July 28, 2016, 08:18:50 PM
I will admit 2014 STL Meet was huge in turnout and legendary in what all took place. My meet was one of the biggest in terms of turnout in recent years and still worked out well giving the surprise mother nature had for us in the morning.

Yeah, between the snow and the unmarked electric fence I found.  :-D

bandit957

I'm usually limited to the Midwest and Mid-South.

bandit957

Quote from: Alps on July 28, 2016, 07:13:23 PM
St. Louis was huge for different reasons.

Air biscuits were detected.

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on July 28, 2016, 07:13:23 PM

St. Louis was huge for different reasons. There are few meets that will forever be talked about.

I've heard several people allude to that meet as being something super-special, but can't remember anyone ever saying exactly what made it so.

noelbotevera

Not sure why St. Louis was so great. I overheard a story about a car being towed, but other than that, nothing.

I also learned that whatever concrete they used for overpasses is extremely sharp, more things about unmarked electric fences, "snow", and Alanland's farm. What a surprising meet (even though the sudden change at the end threw me off guard. I will never see a single arch McDonald's sign ever again).

74/171FAN

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 30, 2016, 04:46:52 AM
Not sure why St. Louis was so great. I overheard a story about a car being towed, but other than that, nothing.

I also learned that whatever concrete they used for overpasses is extremely sharp, more things about unmarked electric fences, "snow", and Alanland's farm. What a surprising meet (even though the sudden change at the end threw me off guard. I will never see a single arch McDonald's sign ever again).

For the record, we also saw goats at the Pikeville meet in October 2013. 

Second, did you see the post I made in the meet thread a few weeks later?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.