News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Latest meet for 2016?

Started by hbelkins, July 21, 2016, 04:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 30, 2016, 05:28:38 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on July 30, 2016, 04:46:52 AM
Quote from: jpi on July 28, 2016, 08:18:50 PM
I will admit 2014 STL Meet was huge in turnout and legendary in what all took place. My meet was one of the biggest in terms of turnout in recent years and still worked out well giving the surprise mother nature had for us in the morning.
Not sure why St. Louis was so great. I overheard a story about a car being towed, but other than that, nothing.

I also learned that whatever concrete they used for overpasses is extremely sharp, more things about unmarked electric fences, "snow", and Alanland's farm. What a surprising meet (even though the sudden change at the end threw me off guard. I will never see a single arch McDonald's sign ever again).

For the record, we also saw goats at the Pikeville meet in October 2013. 

Second, did you see the post I made in the meet thread a few weeks later?
Yeah, but I wanted to see it for myself and catch a photo of it before it was gone. Doesn't feel the same with GSV.

tckma

Quote from: dgolub on July 28, 2016, 07:02:21 PM
How about Corridor H?  That was pretty huge.

Really?  That's kind of a shame.  As it has so far been the only road meet I have ever attended, though, I don't have any basis for comparison.  I thought it was a good size.  Bit confusing though as we seemed to lose more and more people at each stop.

I'm trying to clean up the family finances and get out of debt, so I don't think I'll be to any more meets until next year.  You never know, though.

noelbotevera

Actually, wasn't Baltimore 2010 the largest road meet ever? I'd think that'd have more surprises, but I wasn't there. Besides, we've all seen I-170!

Alps

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 10, 2016, 05:24:04 PM
Actually, wasn't Baltimore 2010 the largest road meet ever? I'd think that'd have more surprises, but I wasn't there. Besides, we've all seen I-170!
The surprise was the number of people. It ran very smoothly.

dgolub

Quote from: tckma on August 10, 2016, 05:02:20 PM
Quote from: dgolub on July 28, 2016, 07:02:21 PM
How about Corridor H?  That was pretty huge.

Really?  That's kind of a shame.  As it has so far been the only road meet I have ever attended, though, I don't have any basis for comparison.  I thought it was a good size.  Bit confusing though as we seemed to lose more and more people at each stop.

It was only the second day that we really started losing people.  I think that's just because of how long the route was and that people were going in different directions and hence peeled off early and different points.

hbelkins

As best as I can remember, Corridor H was the only multi-day meet that involved an overnight stay along the tour route. There have been some back-to-back overnighters in different locations, hosted by different people, but I don't remember one with as long of a tour as Corridor H such that it required an overnight stay.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on August 10, 2016, 09:48:36 PM
As best as I can remember, Corridor H was the only multi-day meet that involved an overnight stay along the tour route. There have been some back-to-back overnighters in different locations, hosted by different people, but I don't remember one with as long of a tour as Corridor H such that it required an overnight stay.
The Fairbanks meet is going to feature this thanks to the Dalton Highway. But with near-limitless daylight next June/July, making it up to Prudhoe Bay in one day and back the next will be no problem.

dgolub

Quote from: Alps on August 11, 2016, 12:10:01 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 10, 2016, 09:48:36 PM
The Fairbanks meet is going to feature this thanks to the Dalton Highway. But with near-limitless daylight next June/July, making it up to Prudhoe Bay in one day and back the next will be no problem.

Oh, it is happening next summer?  I guess I really need to get serious about learning Inuktitut.

Duke87

Pretty sure English is perfectly acceptable at any locations we'll need to speak to anyone on that trip.

As for the St Louis meet from 2014, I do believe the statement that it was "huge" was meant more figuratively than literally. I was not there personally but I did hear lots of rave reviews from others.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

dgolub

Quote from: Duke87 on August 11, 2016, 11:43:32 AM
Pretty sure English is perfectly acceptable at any locations we'll need to speak to anyone on that trip.

I'm sure that's true; I just think it would be a fun language to learn and that it would be cool to start doing so before going inside the Arctic Circle.  That said, it's probably more useful in places like Inuvik and Iqaluit than Deadhorse and Coldfoot.

oscar

Quote from: dgolub on August 11, 2016, 01:44:46 PM
I'm sure that's true; I just think it would be a fun language to learn and that it would be cool to start doing so before going inside the Arctic Circle.  That said, it's probably more useful in places like Inuvik and Iqaluit than Deadhorse and Coldfoot.

Iqaluit, yes, though English works too, and all road signs using Inuktitut are also in English. Inuvik and other communities in NT along the Dempster Highway are Gwich'in rather than Inuit, and their native language is unrelated to Inuktitut, though like in Iqaluit English works fine there too.

There are no native communities along the Dalton Highway, though you probably can take a short boat ride from near the highway to one upstream on the Yukon River (that was included in the package tour for my first trip up the Dalton in 1994).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jpi

If this Alaska meet is happening next year then I am out, already planning my 5th cross country trip for July next year and unfortunetly it will not involve going north to Alaska however it is on my bucket list, just not next year.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

dgolub

Quote from: oscar on August 11, 2016, 03:45:58 PM
Iqaluit, yes, though English works too, and all road signs using Inuktitut are also in English. Inuvik and other communities in NT along the Dempster Highway are Gwich'in rather than Inuit, and their native language is unrelated to Inuktitut, though like in Iqaluit English works fine there too.

Oh, that explains a lot.  I always wondered how Tuktoyaktuk was supposed to be pronounced considering that Inuktitut only has three vowels, a, i, and u.  I guess it's not Inuktitut.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.