Pulaski/Wittpenn mini meet

Started by Alps, June 16, 2018, 05:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When can you come see these two highways?

July 4 (Wednesday, holiday)
2 (22.2%)
July 8 (first Sunday it's open)
6 (66.7%)
July 14 (first Saturday I'm free)
7 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: June 28, 2018, 05:39:45 PM

hbelkins

OK, I want to pose a few questions here. If I did attend, I'd be looking at a two-night stay in the area. Arriving Saturday night and departing Monday morning. Also keep in mind that while I'm in the area, I want to get out to Long Island to visit Nassau and Suffolk counties, thus clinching New York. I'd have to do this either Saturday evening when I arrive in the area, or Sunday after the meet. My most likely route into the area would be I-78 from Pennsylvania. Another possibility is I-99 to I-80. I'd probably leave from work on Friday and spend that night somewhere in West Virginia.

So ... any suggestions on lodging that would not be too far away from the diner (an hour or so tops), but would still allow me to get out to LI and back during daylight hours but without major traffic issues? I was thinking perhaps the Easton, Pa. area for my two nights if I use I-78. And what route would those in the know suggest for me getting out to visit those two counties with a minimum of headaches on Saturday or Sunday evenings? I stayed at a Ramada on US 46 just east of NJ 23 (near Wayne) when I attended Adam Moss' meet a few years ago (the one where Carl's car got towed at the diner) so that's an option, but I don't know how easy the LI jaunt would be to attempt from there.

Suggestions appreciated from those in the know.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on July 03, 2018, 09:58:18 AM
OK, I want to pose a few questions here. If I did attend, I'd be looking at a two-night stay in the area. Arriving Saturday night and departing Monday morning. Also keep in mind that while I'm in the area, I want to get out to Long Island to visit Nassau and Suffolk counties, thus clinching New York. I'd have to do this either Saturday evening when I arrive in the area, or Sunday after the meet. My most likely route into the area would be I-78 from Pennsylvania. Another possibility is I-99 to I-80. I'd probably leave from work on Friday and spend that night somewhere in West Virginia.

So ... any suggestions on lodging that would not be too far away from the diner (an hour or so tops), but would still allow me to get out to LI and back during daylight hours but without major traffic issues? I was thinking perhaps the Easton, Pa. area for my two nights if I use I-78. And what route would those in the know suggest for me getting out to visit those two counties with a minimum of headaches on Saturday or Sunday evenings? I stayed at a Ramada on US 46 just east of NJ 23 (near Wayne) when I attended Adam Moss' meet a few years ago (the one where Carl's car got towed at the diner) so that's an option, but I don't know how easy the LI jaunt would be to attempt from there.

Suggestions appreciated from those in the know.

I made a brief reply in the Facebook event, but I'll expand on it here.

For hotels, it's looking like rates are reasonable (for the area) along 287 south/east of Somerville. The Ramada you stayed at and a few other things up there are also options. Actually cheaper in NJ than Easton at a quick glance.

As far as getting out to the Island, that's never easy. In terms of speed, your fastest option would likely be to use the GW Bridge, Cross Bronx, Throgs Neck Bridge, and Cross Island Parkway both ways. Do a loop involving the LIE or Northern State Parkway, Sagtikos Parkway, and Southern State Parkway, using the Cross Island to get back to Throgs Neck and the mainland, unless you wanted to make a U-turn immediately after entering Suffolk to save a few minutes. If you want to drive the new Goethals Bridge, that WILL take longer due to construction on the Belt Parkway, but I'd recommend taking that eastbound and doing the loop I said above counterclockwise, as you'd avoid the Verrazano toll. Take 278 and the Belt Parkway to get to the Southern State from NJ.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.