News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Boston roadmeet?

Started by noelbotevera, October 20, 2016, 09:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon12791

I'm interested in going to this if it's a weekend  :-D

hotdogPi

I really want to go, but there's one problem: I can't drive. (I do have access to public transportation.) If the meet is on a weekday on May 8 or earlier, I can't go because of classes at UMass Lowell. April 29, May 6, and May 7 (all weekends) are also unavailable because of a choral concert that I have.

This would be my first roadmeet.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

noelbotevera

I just need this to be in September. I'm trying to convince my dad to do this while we have free time at MIT. If the meet is more than at least four hours, then I might have to leave abruptly (generally college tours are 2 or more hours. The longest one I think took at least 4 or 5). I'll be gone for at least a week, so I don't mind if this is a 2 day meet. Also, traffic should be lighter later in the year, because school should be in session by September.

Should note, this is the farthest I've gone to attend a meet. 441 miles from home, and this is only my 2nd meet.

Also, just thought of this: Circumferential Highway in Nashua. It's relatively close (about an hour).

froggie

QuoteAlso, traffic should be lighter later in the year, because school should be in session by September.

Other way around...in most of the Northeast, traffic is higher come September precisely because of that reason...teachers and students are back at school.

vdeane

Just had a thought: Boston and Portsmouth are relatively close together, so they could possibly fit together as a meet weekend, similar to Hampton Roads and Delmarva a couple years ago, if there's enough overlap in interested people.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on November 05, 2016, 07:40:46 PM
QuoteAlso, traffic should be lighter later in the year, because school should be in session by September.

Other way around...in most of the Northeast, traffic is higher come September precisely because of that reason...teachers and students are back at school.

But on a Saturday, when the meet would be held?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on November 06, 2016, 02:40:18 PM
Quote from: froggie on November 05, 2016, 07:40:46 PM

But on a Saturday, when the meet would be held?

In Boston? Possibly. Population swells when colleges are in session.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

noelbotevera

Yeah, time is a problem with urban meets. I'm indifferent though and don't really care about time of day. 

TheHighwayMan3561

You just have to make sure not to pick a weekend with any huge festivals or other major events going on. You can check the city calendars to see what the city has planned.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

QuoteBut on a Saturday, when the meet would be held?

Saturday last weekend had some notable issues on 93 and 128 (sic 95)...

I was also responding to the claim that traffic is lighter overall in September.  Along the East Coast, it often isn't specifically because schools are back in session.  That also spills over into the weekends between family errands (instead of vacation), Saturday classes at many colleges, and whatnot.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on November 06, 2016, 05:19:58 PM
QuoteBut on a Saturday, when the meet would be held?

Saturday last weekend had some notable issues on 93 and 128 (sic 95)...

I was also responding to the claim that traffic is lighter overall in September.  Along the East Coast, it often isn't specifically because schools are back in session.  That also spills over into the weekends between family errands (instead of vacation), Saturday classes at many colleges, and whatnot.

Concur with Adam, at least based on my own personal and professional experiences with places further south. September and October tend to be busy in terms of highway traffic, though not so much with "resort" and "getaway" traffic.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Having lived and driven in Boston, it won't be too bad driving around the city on a Saturday in general.

cl94

In Boston and Cambridge isn't the issue. It's around Boston. 128 can be hell on weekends if the meet goes out that far.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on November 05, 2016, 02:10:37 PMIf the meet is on a weekday on May 8 or earlier, I can't go because of classes at UMass Lowell. April 29, May 6, and May 7 (all weekends) are also unavailable because of a choral concert that I have.
Most roadmeets (at least the ones I attended) are typically done on either just Saturdays or the entire weekend.  I see this one being no different.

Quote from: vdeane on November 05, 2016, 11:43:48 PM
Just had a thought: Boston and Portsmouth are relatively close together, so they could possibly fit together as a meet weekend, similar to Hampton Roads and Delmarva a couple years ago, if there's enough overlap in interested people.
Given what's around; a Boston-Portsmouth (I'm assuming you're referring to the one in NH and not the one in RI) joint meet for the same weekend would work better if one day was set aside for one city (& surrounding area) and the following day would be set aside for the other.

Additionally, a meet in Portsmouth was just held a few summers ago (I remember hearing that you weren't able to attend); I'm not sure how much of an interest such would be.  That would be up to whomever is planning this upcoming meet; which I'm assuming that the primary focus will be Boston and the surrounding area.

Quote from: cl94 on November 06, 2016, 07:57:11 PMIn Boston and Cambridge isn't the issue. It's around Boston. 128 can be hell on weekends if the meet goes out that far.
The main issue w/Boston & Cambridge will be parking; especially during stops (limited availability and/or price).  And you're right about highways like 128 being traffic nightmares even on weekends.  One way to get around that (and such could be a possible theme) would be to follow the pre-Yankee Division Highway path of 128.  I've done such on the stretch between Woburn and Lynnfield just to avoid the gridlock and it's worked rather well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

dgolub

Quote from: 1 on November 05, 2016, 02:10:37 PM
I really want to go, but there's one problem: I can't drive. (I do have access to public transportation.)

Totally doable.  I live in Manhattan and hence don't own a car, and I've been to a lot of road meets by mass transit.  Boston should be easy since it's a major city and hence a transit hub.

cl94

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 06, 2016, 08:06:52 PM
Additionally, a meet in Portsmouth was just held a few summers ago (I remember hearing that you weren't able to attend); I'm not sure how much of an interest such would be.  That would be up to whomever is planning this upcoming meet; which I'm assuming that the primary focus will be Boston and the surrounding area.

Someone made the suggestion for a clinchfest after the "main event". Given that SE Massachusetts especially is typically out of the way for most of us, I think that would be a better idea.

dgolub

Quote from: cl94 on November 06, 2016, 08:54:18 PM

Someone made the suggestion for a clinchfest after the "main event". Given that SE Massachusetts especially is typically out of the way for most of us, I think that would be a better idea.

I'll second the motion.  The roadgeeks are about to take Provincetown!

froggie

Too late.  Took that town with a mobile doppler last year...

bob7374

Quote from: dgolub on November 07, 2016, 08:44:21 AM
Quote from: cl94 on November 06, 2016, 08:54:18 PM

I'll second the motion.  The roadgeeks are about to take Provincetown!
If that would be on the itinerary for a Boston meet, it would need to be a 2-day affair, due to the distance between the two. Also, it would probably best be scheduled in late April/Early May or in the fall to avoid the primary tourist (traffic) season.

Pete from Boston

The quiet time is after July 4, and before late August.  In September folks with kids are no longer going away, and the roads are filled with newcomers who don't know their way.

Avoid the tail end of August and the beginning of September at all costs.  People inexperienced with trucks and/or narrow, confusing streets are out in force driving/parking vans.

deathtopumpkins

If there's actual interest in this I could probably host it (or help Steve host it). There's also a few things worth seeing in and around the city that haven't been mentioned, including some old signs, and the tollbooth demolitions on the Turnpike. Also, an abandoned stretch of 128 in the Blue Hills Reservation.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alps

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 08, 2016, 11:33:38 PM
If there's actual interest in this I could probably host it (or help Steve host it). There's also a few things worth seeing in and around the city that haven't been mentioned, including some old signs, and the tollbooth demolitions on the Turnpike. Also, an abandoned stretch of 128 in the Blue Hills Reservation.
My hosting days are over with Alaska.

roadman

Tollbooth demolitions should be long done by next summer.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman on November 09, 2016, 09:15:17 AM

Are there any left?  I just see pavement rejiggering now.

cl94

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 09, 2016, 12:11:24 PM
Quote from: roadman on November 09, 2016, 09:15:17 AM

Are there any left?  I just see pavement rejiggering now.

Phase 1 is virtually done at this point. Booths are all gone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.