D.C./Woodrow Wilson Bridge Meet: November 21

Started by froggie, November 04, 2009, 06:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Sorry for the delay in getting the announcement out.  I've decided on having the meet November 21...even though it's a duty weekend, I think I can make it work.

Notice:  D.C./Woodrow Wilson Bridge Meet
Date:  November 21, 2009
Time:  11:00am
Address:  6601 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, VA  22306
(7 stoplights south of the Beltway on US 1)

Notes:  Starting early in order to maximize tour time, especially since I found a couple potential parking areas to view at least a couple things within D.C.  I should be done with duty by noonish, so I may or may not be there for the "lunch" portion.  Either way, I'd like to start the tour itself no later than 12:30pm.

First stop and main stop will be at the Wilson Bridge, where we'll hike out on the bike/ped lane to the middle of the bridge.  On a clear day, you can get some good distance views of the Washington Monument and the Capitol Dome from the bridge.

Next, we'll do a driving tour of the Springfield Interchange (taking note of the HOV ramp connections now under construction) and head down to Newington to view construction on the last leg of the Fairfax County Parkway (SR 7100).

We'll follow up with a driving tour up the Beltway to view the HO/T lane construction, then head into D.C. proper, where I've scouted out a couple parking areas to view some old freeway sign gantries.

If time/daylight allows after that, we'll play it by ear for other potential sights.

A word of caution:  this will be a very walk-intensive meet.  Just doing the basic stuff (WWB and DC signs) will involve almost 4 miles of walking.  So bring a good pair of walking shoes.

RSVP via E-mail (address on my website).

--linked to calendar - MS
:)

Alps

Ian

I could consider, I have to check whats going on for me. DC is a bit of a way away from me  :banghead:.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

froggie

If you two are coming, please shoot me an E-mail.

Alps

Frogster, I told you before you even scheduled the meet I'm coming, and I said it here, and believe me, I'll be there.  Up to you whether to call me in to the restaurant or not, but dude, when I say it, I mean it. (:

froggie

Oh, I know, Steve.  But I'm trying to keep track of the RSVPs in one spot within my E-mail, hence my request.

froggie

1 week reminder for the DC/WWB meet:

Notice:  D.C./Woodrow Wilson Bridge Meet
Date:  November 21, 2009
Time:  11:00am
Address:  6601 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, VA  22306
(7 stoplights south of the Beltway on US 1)

Walking tour of the WWB and parts of the I-66 and SE Freeways in D.C., and driving tour including Springfield Interchange, Fairfax County Pkwy construction, and Beltway HO/T lane construction.

A reminder that this will be a very walk-intensive tour.  At least 3.5 miles worth of walking.

RSVP via E-mail.

WillWeaverRVA

Unfortunately, I now can't guarantee that I'll be able to get up there, so I'm going to put myself in as a no for now. I'll email you if anything changes.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alps

I think I'll have to go to the Five Guys first - it's a few blocks north on Route 1.  So I'll be there a little later than 11, but I'll be a lot happier than those of you eating at Chili's. ;)

NJRoadfan

Quote from: AlpsROADS on November 16, 2009, 11:36:25 PM
I think I'll have to go to the Five Guys first - it's a few blocks north on Route 1.  So I'll be there a little later than 11, but I'll be a lot happier than those of you eating at Chili's. ;)

You do realize they have Five Guys all over NJ now.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 17, 2009, 01:18:38 AM

Yes, but some of us can't have burgers medically :P
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

hbelkins

I've never had Five Guys. Oh wait, let me rephrase that. I've never eaten at a Five Guys. I saw a few on my northeast trip and I think I saw one in Fort Wayne, even.

Any thoughts I had given to attending this meet went out the window when my dad was hospitalized the night of the Ft. Wayne meet and I missed a week of work to be with him in the hospital. You guys have fun, take plenty of pictures, and I'll try to make either the Baltimore or Philly meets next year, or both!

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SSOWorld

It kinda disturbs me to go eat at a place called "five guys"

what no women? :eyebrow: :-D
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

CanesFan27

Looking forward to seeing a number of ya'll at the meet.

Dougtone

Quote from: CanesFan27 on November 17, 2009, 05:34:45 PM
Looking forward to seeing a number of ya'll at the meet.

I'll be at the meet, along with C.C. Slater (a.k.a. Otto Yamamoto) to round out the New York contingent.

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 17, 2009, 01:18:38 AM

Does that make the ones in DC less delicious?

agentsteel53

Quote from: Master son on November 17, 2009, 02:21:31 PM
It kinda disturbs me to go eat at a place called "five guys"

what no women? :eyebrow: :-D

okay, in the interest of modern political correctness: one male, one female, and three persons whose gender is to be specified later.  try fitting that on a billboard!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

CanesFan27

For those who may not have seen them yet - my photos from the meet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15530177@N05/sets/72157622857809510/

Only bad part about driving - I didn't get to take photos of the monuments.  Definitely gonna make a weekend trip to DC next year.  (I'll have some notes and photos from Manassas Nat'l Battlefield on the blog later this weekend.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.