News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

May 13th: Jackson/Vicksburg MS Road Meet

Started by codyg1985, January 05, 2017, 07:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which day works best?

Saturday, May 6th
5 (45.5%)
Saturday, May 13th
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

codyg1985

I have updated the itinerary based on feedback from H.B. and Froggie. For those worried about the length of the tour, I have moved the group photo to the Byram Swinging Bridge. Other changes:
- I removed the stop at the bridge in Madison, MS
- I added a stop at the Ross Barnett Resevoir overlook on the Natchez Trace Pkwy
- Removed stop for "The Stack" and added stop for Old Brandon Road bridge over Pearl River.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1yq3uaz3xrbgef/2nd%20DRAFT%202017%20Jackson%20Vicksburg%20Road%20Meet%20Itinerary.docx?dl=0
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

jpi

Looks like Steph and I are in, she got the Sunday off, we will be driving down Friday, take a side trip off I-20/59 to grab a county I need north of Meridian then plan to stay in Jackson Fri and Sat night. Looking forward to it! :cool:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

froggie

Quotetake a side trip off I-20/59 to grab a county I need north of Meridian

For that one, I would suggest exiting 20/59 at Eutaw (AL 14/Exit 40) and taking an AL 14/AL 39/AL 116/AL 17/CR 30/MS 16/US 45 routing.  Minimizes the northward backtracking involved, especially since there's little in the way of good roads northeast of Lauderdale (I know from personal experience...was stationed at NAS Meridian).

jpi

Quote from: froggie on March 23, 2017, 10:41:21 AM

For that one, I would suggest exiting 20/59 at Eutaw (AL 14/Exit 40) and taking an AL 14/AL 39/AL 116/AL 17/CR 30/MS 16/US 45 routing.  Minimizes the northward backtracking involved, especially since there's little in the way of good roads northeast of Lauderdale (I know from personal experience...was stationed at NAS Meridian).
Thanks for the tip, I figured there was some kind of "short cut " I could take off 20/59 and I already have 20/59 clinched in the area from back in July 2013 so I would not be missing anything.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cjk374

Quote from: jpi on March 23, 2017, 11:27:11 AM
Quote from: froggie on March 23, 2017, 10:41:21 AM

Thanks for the tip, I figured there was some kind of "short cut " I could take off 20/59 and I already have 20/59 clinched in the area from back in July 2013 so I would not be missing anything.

Beware of the orange barrels...there are plenty of them to dodge between Birmingham & Jackson on I-20/59.

My wife will be with me for this meet as well. This will be her first meet...bless her heart.  :rofl:  :pan:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hbelkins

Officially out of this one. Even if I hadn't exhausted all my leave time due to my recent illness and hospitalization, I'm not sure that I would be able to take a trip of such length. Just going to Frankfort for a meeting yesterday was a chore. I hate to miss this one, because I had plans to collect a bunch of Mississippi counties, but that's the breaks.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Count me as "probable", depending on the outcome of a visit to my eye surgeon next week. I hope that confirms that recovery from my February left eye cataract surgery is complete, and that I won't need any additional surgery (such as removing the cataract in my right eye) right away.

If there's a Facebook event for this meet (a link hasn't been posted), non-FB users like me probably won't be able to view most of whatever is on the event page. So please let me know, such as here, about major changes like which restaurant we'll have lunch at.

My tentative plan is to meander down to Jackson, including a clinch of the entire Natchez Trace Parkway. There seems to be an NTP segment in Tennessee closed for construction, but I drove that part three decades ago. I'll probably take three or four days on the way down there (via Charleston SC, and building extra time to deal with the mess in Atlanta), and two or three days to get back home.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

codyg1985

So far there haven't been any changes from what has been posted on here.

I still need to finalize the itinerary, but I don't anticipate it being any different other than tidying it up.
Cody Goodman

tckma

This might be a possibility, but it is a bit further than I think I can reasonably travel without taking time off work.  My wife and I were possibly planning a road trip this weekend; maybe we can push it off to next to do this one.  I'll check the itinerary and see.

oscar

I'm good to go, my eye surgeon agrees no more surgery until this fall.

codyg1985

Cody Goodman

US71

Looking now like I may not make it. Hoping for a last-minute break. :(
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

lordsutch

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make it; I have an all-day orientation meeting that Saturday for my students going on a study abroad program in July. Hopefully next time...

codyg1985

Anyone planning on driving themselves along the tour? Right now it looks like there will be nine people on the tour. Oscar as well as Jess from the 2014 Jasper meet will be along for the tour, and possibly my wife. That is a total of nine people.

There will be a chance to bail for those that don't want to do the Vicksburg portion of the tour (after the Byram stop).

There are plans for an optional drive across the state line at the end of the Vicksburg portion into Louisiana for those who haven't been to Louisiana and then to try a drive thru daiquiri.
Cody Goodman

jpi

As mentioned on FB, Steph and I are staying in Jackson Friday night and Saturday night so I am wide open for anything, Steph will probably do her thing while we are on our tour so more then likely I will be car pooling with someone
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

Likewise, I'll be in Jackson both nights.  However, I am planning a quick excursion to Louisiana that Saturday morning for the welcome center and then along a part of the Natchez Trace Parkway.  Otherwise, I have all Saturday.  :cool:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

cjk374

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 09, 2017, 08:16:37 AM

There are plans for an optional drive across the state line at the end of the Vicksburg portion into Louisiana for those who haven't been to Louisiana and then to try a drive thru daiquiri.

Be careful with the daiquiri option. They tape a wrapped straw to your cup. If the straw or its paper is comprised,  it becomes an open container.

codyg1985

Here is a link to the final version of the itinerary. Not much has changed since the previous draft except for adding the note about the optional trip into Louisiana after the last stop.
Cody Goodman

cjk374

oscar

Here are the best three of my attempts at a meet photo, on the Bryan Swinging Bridge south of Jackson MS. The first and the last shots had the more pleasing exposures, but they are both missing a different member of the group. The middle one is rather overexposed (though not as horribly as I first thought), but has all eleven people in the group.

Attendees (in the middle photo, from left to right):  Oscar; Brandon; David; Cody (meet organizer) and Katie, both in front of A.J.; Steph and Jason, both in front of Sam; and Jess and Margie.

The bridge is known for young couples attaching padlocks to the railings to symbolize everlasting love, and often throwing the keys into the river (the more cautious ones used combination locks, so if they broke up they could at least recover their locks). Other meet attendees took pictures of the locks, and I hope one of those photos can be posted here.

I'm still catching up, after limping home Thursday evening from a sidewinding return trip. More on that to follow in a separate trip report.

Many thanks to Cody for arranging this cool meet!

cjk374

Here you go Oscar. This is one that caught Margie's eye:

SAM_1659 by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.