News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Which state has the most patrolled highways and freeway and which has the least

Started by Plutonic Panda, January 14, 2017, 05:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: SidS1045 on June 15, 2017, 11:22:20 AM

In Massachusetts, I hadn't seen a lot of troopers doing speed enforcement lately...until yesterday.

Going home to the Boston suburbs from Springfield on the Pike yesterday, I counted no fewer than seven troopers doing speed enforcement, apparently with the newer type of radar that shows the specific speed for every car within the radar's beam.  They were pulling out from the right shoulder just as their left-lane quarry was passing their location.  I stayed between 70 and 72 in the middle lane (posted limit is 65) and didn't get bothered, but some in the left lane were doing 80 or more and they all got nabbed.

I was a bit surprised that the troopers were all on the right shoulder in plain view.  The Pike (and many other limited-access roads in MA) have excellent hiding places in the median, in the many places where the median has been paved over and where guard rails and Jersey barriers overlap.  A driver would not see the trooper's car until it was too late, especially if the car doesn't have a light bar on top.

I'll bet the Commonwealth is having a revenue problem...

Same here in northeastern Massachusetts.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jeffandnicole

Taking a single, daily, normal commute and believing everything is true statewide is usually never an accurate assumption of how things work.

If you're driving, say, Rt. A from Exit 10 to Exit 20 every day, you have no clue if they're down by Exit 8, or up by Exit 23.  You have no clue if they're on Rt. B or Rt. C.  Today, they happened to be on Rt. A at Exit 15.  You erroneously conclude there's a revenue problem and they're nabbing people for going 80+.  In the meantime, the guy that drives by Exit 23 every day is thankful that they're taking a day off for a change.

Perspective is everything. 

kkt

From Grande Prairie, Alberta, to Yellowknife, NT, and back again -- 2400 km -- didn't see a single law enforcement person or vehicle.

SectorZ

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 15, 2017, 12:35:53 PM
Taking a single, daily, normal commute and believing everything is true statewide is usually never an accurate assumption of how things work.

If you're driving, say, Rt. A from Exit 10 to Exit 20 every day, you have no clue if they're down by Exit 8, or up by Exit 23.  You have no clue if they're on Rt. B or Rt. C.  Today, they happened to be on Rt. A at Exit 15.  You erroneously conclude there's a revenue problem and they're nabbing people for going 80+.  In the meantime, the guy that drives by Exit 23 every day is thankful that they're taking a day off for a change.

Perspective is everything.

Yeah, but Massachusetts IS having a revenue problem right now, and this state has historically (with a paper trail) asked state troopers to write more tickets solely to help with revenue.

SidS1045

You might remember our governor, Michael Dukakis, who ran for president in 1988.  At one point during his term in office he pushed through the legislature a substantial increase in traffic fines, and was very up-front about the reason: the state needed the money.

Thinking that through, you come to the bizarre conclusion that the state's balance sheet transitioning from red ink to black depends on drivers breaking the law.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

US 89

Quote from: Brian556 on January 15, 2017, 11:42:24 AM
Florida in General, other than a few small towns,  is under-patrolled. People drive way more recklessly there than in Texas.

Last time I was in TX, over the course of a week I saw at least 10 pickups cut across 5 lanes of freeway so they could make their exit. I don't know how you can get more reckless than that.

roadman65

In Florida we used to have speed traps in Orlando especially on I-4 near FL 528.  Now you do not see many at all nor do you see people pulled over as much these days.

In the Deerfield Subdivision there is, though, a daily speed trap, but still does not stop the speeding issue as many daily travelers would argue with one who lives there and knows the drill that they have never seen the cops ever and would say that street is never patrolled. 

In Orange County, FL anyway the Sheriff's office does not like to get involved in traffic too much anyway and have a small traffic enforcement staff as they usually let the state highway patrol handle most cases especially accidents.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.