Sunday, October 15
- 4 (15.4%)
Saturday, October 21
- 4 (15.4%)
Sunday, October 22
- 5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: June 23, 2017, 04:51:50 PM

Author Topic: Columbus, Ohio road meet: September 30, 2017  (Read 2724 times)

Roadgeekteen

• Last Login: Today at 12:08:51 AM
Re: 2017 Columbus, Ohio road meet
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 04:12:50 PM »

There have been at least two Columbus meets in the past, neither of which I attended (overslept and was sick for one of them, and attended a conflicting meet in Kansas the other). Columbus is a four-hour drive from me and I would like to attend one at some point in the future. I'm not picking a date this far out, but would definitely be interested in attending. This would be an easy one. I could conceivably do it as a single-day trip if necessary, but probably would stay at least one night somewhere.
was the one you said you were sick for connected to the time you almost died?
I am probably the second youngest member of this forum, but there is no way to check it.

hbelkins

• Celebrating another day that Hillary isn't prez.

• Last Login: September 22, 2017, 11:31:22 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 09:51:48 PM »

There have been at least two Columbus meets in the past, neither of which I attended (overslept and was sick for one of them, and attended a conflicting meet in Kansas the other). Columbus is a four-hour drive from me and I would like to attend one at some point in the future. I'm not picking a date this far out, but would definitely be interested in attending. This would be an easy one. I could conceivably do it as a single-day trip if necessary, but probably would stay at least one night somewhere.
was the one you said you were sick for connected to the time you almost died?

No. The Columbus meet I missed a few years ago was just because of a really bad cold.

The meet I missed was the New River Gorge meet in West Virginia that I had planned for earlier this month. I missed it because I was having hip pain that made it agonizing to try to walk, but then the medicine I was given for the pain ended up causing kidney failure.

Nikolai

• Last Login: September 19, 2017, 08:15:53 PM
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 08:07:33 PM »

All right, I'm going to go with the poll leader of Saturday, September 30 for the date, with my retail meet on Sunday, October 1.

I've created a map of my proposed routes: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nlOJZV9f6FJ3VYkgRmYqkPF1gF0&usp=sharing
And here is the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/379014432494684/

Feedback on the route is welcome. I'll be scouting it in mid-September to verify all the roads and destinations are feasible.

cl94

• Trust me, I'm a transportation engineer

• Last Login: September 22, 2017, 11:29:00 PM
Re: Columbus, Ohio road meet: September 30, 2017
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 09:01:22 PM »

Should be able to get to this one, even if it means driving in late Friday night. Road network has changed so much that it's almost unrecognizable since I moved back to NY 10 years ago.
Josh Schmid, E.I.T.
Ph.D. Student and Research Assistant, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

okroads

• Now known as OHOKRoads

• Last Login: September 22, 2017, 08:46:54 PM
    • OHOKRoads Flickr
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 09:31:41 PM »

Unless anything comes up unexpectedly, I should be able to make this meet, considering part of the meet is within five minutes of where I live.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

• Professional Protester

• Last Login: September 22, 2017, 10:58:25 PM
    • 20th Century roadfan material
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 11:19:29 PM »

All right, I'm going to go with the poll leader of Saturday, September 30 for the date, with my retail meet on Sunday, October 1.

I've created a map of my proposed routes: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nlOJZV9f6FJ3VYkgRmYqkPF1gF0&usp=sharing
And here is the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/379014432494684/

Feedback on the route is welcome. I'll be scouting it in mid-September to verify all the roads and destinations are feasible.

Even though Ohio State is away that Saturday, if Rutgers is a noon kickoff, we'll be hard-pressed to find a table for us.
BRING BACK MTR LOG!!!

bandit957

• A natural gas bunk!

• Last Login: Today at 09:29:58 AM
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 11:27:57 PM »

There's a very real chance I might attend. But only if poo.
The highway to not having your teeth fall out...

Number of remaining teeth: https://goo.gl/maps/dgsWdCme9s72

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Hope for the Alan!

• Last Login: Today at 10:07:03 AM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 11:54:04 PM »

Even though Ohio State is away that Saturday, if Rutgers is a noon kickoff, we'll be hard-pressed to find a table for us.
Doubtful. No reason to waste time watching that.
~ Steve
http://www.alpsroads.net
I've listened many times, and I still can't figure out what the fox says.

"YOUR NAME IS NAMED AFTER A BUTT"

cl94

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2017, 12:00:18 AM »

This is Columbus we're talking about. City shuts down during all college football games.
Josh Schmid, E.I.T.

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Hope for the Alan!

• Last Login: Today at 10:07:03 AM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2017, 12:10:27 AM »

This is Columbus we're talking about. City shuts down during all college football games.
Rutgers is not college football.
~ Steve
http://www.alpsroads.net
I've listened many times, and I still can't figure out what the fox says.

"YOUR NAME IS NAMED AFTER A BUTT"

Brandon

• Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

• Last Login: Today at 12:01:27 AM
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 06:14:13 AM »

But, this is Columbus, and Ohio State is playing somebody.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Illinois: America's own banana republic.

jpi

• Location: Lebanon, TN Home of the Barrel originally from York, PA
  • Last Login: Today at 07:50:33 AM
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2017, 08:09:19 AM »

75% chance I can make both dates, the Hershey, PA toy show is the weekend before so I may stay in central PA through the week then Friday head west to Columbus.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Nikolai

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2017, 09:06:24 AM »

But, this is Columbus, and Ohio State is playing somebody.

101 isn't really a place people go to watch sports. Just two TVs at the bar and plenty of tables that don't have a view of them. Shouldn't be a problem.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2017, 10:41:35 AM »

Definitely on my radar screen. An easy up-and-back if I so choose.

Thanks for posting a date. That definitely takes away any possibility of me doing a Portsmouth meet, or a potential western Kentucky I-69 meet, that weekend. In fact, it pushes me closer to pulling the trigger on July 22 for Portsmouth, which is short notice these days, but with an Ashtabula meet also planned for the fall, three Ohio meets in short order might be a bit too much.

jpi

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2017, 12:15:26 PM »

Thanks for posting a date. That definitely takes away any possibility of me doing a Portsmouth meet, or a potential western Kentucky I-69 meet, that weekend. In fact, it pushes me closer to pulling the trigger on July 22 for Portsmouth, which is short notice these days, but with an Ashtabula meet also planned for the fall, three Ohio meets in short order might be a bit too much.
If Portsmouth is 7/22 then I will have to pass, Steph, her mom and I will be in Albuquerque, NM that weekend, any dates in mind for Western KY? I did travel the Purchase pkwy this past Sunday and they are moving right along well with I-69 upgrades.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2017, 12:52:53 PM »

If Portsmouth is 7/22 then I will have to pass, Steph, her mom and I will be in Albuquerque, NM that weekend, any dates in mind for Western KY? I did travel the Purchase pkwy this past Sunday and they are moving right along well with I-69 upgrades.

No dates in mind for WKY, except sometiime in the fall. I plan to scout it the first weekend of July. My August is full of work-related stuff, and I'm not sure about September yet, so most likely time for WKY would be October.

A.J. Bertin

• Last Login: September 22, 2017, 07:25:03 AM
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2017, 10:14:41 PM »

If Portsmouth is July 22, I will unfortunately have to pass too. This summer is turning out to be crazy busy with lots of travel for me. I will need to be home that weekend.
-A.J. from Michigan

wanderer2575

• Last Login: September 19, 2017, 11:43:07 PM
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2017, 10:51:37 PM »

I'll have to pass on this one.  I will be doing my own roadtrip that day, having just stepped off a cruise ship in Baltimore that morning and driving home.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Sign Inspector

• Last Login: Today at 01:35:06 AM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2017, 12:45:27 PM »

Very iffy. That's a couple weeks after the RMCA meet, so not sure if I'll have the time.
In search of the road less taken...
and the perfect pizza.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/us_71/

jpi

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2017, 09:08:00 AM »

Looks like I am out, will be in Knoxville for a toy show that day and spending the week in PA prior to it, have fun guys
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cl94

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2017, 10:35:18 AM »

I'm out as well, have a conflict here in New York. Have a good time!
Josh Schmid, E.I.T.

Nikolai

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2017, 10:22:18 PM »

All right, I scouted the meet destinations today and finalized the map. Our stops look pretty exciting. I'll print out some directions to use at the meet. Looking forward to it!

7/8

• Civil Eng Student at Waterloo: Co-op this fall

• Last Login: Today at 12:45:51 AM
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2017, 10:35:39 PM »

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to this one. I'm going to Montreal that weekend to visit family. Good luck with the meet!

http://www.mob-rule.com/user/dscurtis
http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=7_8

- Bring back the pre-Mike Harris King's Highway System!

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2017, 04:59:54 PM »

All right, I scouted the meet destinations today and finalized the map. Our stops look pretty exciting. I'll print out some directions to use at the meet. Looking forward to it!

Are those scouting results reflected in this map link? If so, I'll check it out and see at what point I'll want to depart the tour to reach East Liverpool before dark.

Nikolai

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2017, 08:53:07 PM »

Are those scouting results reflected in this map link? If so, I'll check it out and see at what point I'll want to depart the tour to reach East Liverpool before dark.
Yeah, it's current. Uncheck the retail layers to see the road meet route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.