News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Striped Ramps:

Started by In_Correct, April 29, 2017, 01:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In_Correct

I am currently watching BigRigTravels. BigRigTravels useful because whenever I go places I won't get lost.

One example is Interstate 35 somewhere near Waco, Texas. It is a 6 lane (3 lanes in each direction)  :sombrero: made from Portland Cement,  :cool: white and black center stripes,  :colorful: Frontage Roads,  :D Jersey Barriers,  :) and in some areas there are lights mounted on the Jersey Barriers.  :-P

I think this is TX-DOT's intention to make very similar improvements to Interstate 35 in Cooke County and Denton County. Or perhaps all of Interstate 35.  :biggrin:

I enjoy Texas Roads but there is one annoying thing about them and in this case Oklahoma's design appears to make more sense:

Oklahoma's newer roads the ramps are striped to a V shape, one direction for each lane being split. This includes a \ for the main lanes and a / for the ramps.

But I only noticed Texas has \ for the main lanes.  :confused:

It is not just Oklahoma; Many states have V stripes.

Does Texas have V stripes Anywhere?

Currently this segment of Interstate 35 has Forks in the shape of a V with no stripes in the center of them. I assume that they are going to stripe it as \ but I really hope they stripe it as V .
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Revive 755

^ I think you are describing markings in the gore area between the mainlanes and the ramp, such as these?

The 'V' shape is more commonly referred to as a chevron marking.

The Texas way of striping does not appear compliant with the National MUTCD, which seems to require the markings in the gore areas (if used) to be chevrons since traffic can pass on either side.

compdude787

I like it when states use chevrons for their gore markings. I know that several other states, including NJ, I think, do it the way Texas does it, but I'm not fond of it either and wish they would all get with the program and use chevrons.

jakeroot

Quote from: compdude787 on April 29, 2017, 05:38:50 PM
I like it when states use chevrons for their gore markings. I know that several other states, including NJ, I think, do it the way Texas does it, but I'm not fond of it either and wish they would all get with the program and use chevrons.

I've seen it done the Texas way in WashDOT's Olympic region (see below, WA-512 @ WA-7), but recent markings have been the standard chevron style:

kphoger

I'm good either way, Texas style or the standard style.  What I really dislike, though, is the use of no slashes at all in the gore area, especially when it's a rather large/long gore area.  In adverse weather or due to pure inattention, a person could potentially (bus in California?) see white stripes on both sides and assume he's in a travel lane.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

longhorn

Quote from: In_Correct on April 29, 2017, 01:56:57 AM
I am currently watching BigRigTravels. BigRigTravels useful because whenever I go places I won't get lost.

One example is Interstate 35 somewhere near Waco, Texas. It is a 6 lane (3 lanes in each direction)  :sombrero: made from Portland Cement,  :cool: white and black center stripes,  :colorful: Frontage Roads,  :D Jersey Barriers,  :) and in some areas there are lights mounted on the Jersey Barriers.  :-P

I think this is TX-DOT's intention to make very similar improvements to Interstate 35 in Cooke County and Denton County. Or perhaps all of Interstate 35.  :biggrin:

I enjoy Texas Roads but there is one annoying thing about them and in this case Oklahoma's design appears to make more sense:

Oklahoma's newer roads the ramps are striped to a V shape, one direction for each lane being split. This includes a \ for the main lanes and a / for the ramps.

But I only noticed Texas has \ for the main lanes.  :confused:

It is not just Oklahoma; Many states have V stripes.

Does Texas have V stripes Anywhere?

Currently this segment of Interstate 35 has Forks in the shape of a V with no stripes in the center of them. I assume that they are going to stripe it as \ but I really hope they stripe it as V .

Interesting video, could see how it would be helpful. But man, he sure does stop a lot along the way.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: compdude787 on April 29, 2017, 05:38:50 PM
I like it when states use chevrons for their gore markings. I know that several other states, including NJ, I think...

Yep, NJ uses pavement chevrons.

The NJ Turnpike used to paint the entire area white!  But as they have become more MUTCD compliant, they have removed the paint and installed the normal chevron markings.  They're so new, you can see how bright they are compared to the rest of the lines! https://goo.gl/maps/5rb53r3jgaC2

compdude787

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 02, 2017, 12:08:27 PM

Yep, NJ uses pavement chevrons.

The NJ Turnpike used to paint the entire area white!  But as they have become more MUTCD compliant, they have removed the paint and installed the normal chevron markings.  They're so new, you can see how bright they are compared to the rest of the lines! https://goo.gl/maps/5rb53r3jgaC2

Oh,  yeah. The painting the entire gore area white reminds me of what the Netherlands does.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.