News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What are some roads where the speed limit is too high?

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 05, 2017, 10:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Duke87

There are certainly roads where achieving the speed limit is difficult. See for example all the windy mountain roads in West Virginia where the speed limit is 55 but realistically you can't get much above 35. This happens because 55 is the default limit and on many roads no one has ever bothered to try to change it from the default.

Although I would argue these are not roads where the speed limit is "too high", since if there isn't some particular safety problem, then why bother lowering it?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

7/8

Quote from: Duke87 on May 06, 2017, 12:24:56 AM
There are certainly roads where achieving the speed limit is difficult. See for example all the windy mountain roads in West Virginia where the speed limit is 55 but realistically you can't get much above 35. This happens because 55 is the default limit and on many roads no one has ever bothered to try to change it from the default.

Although I would argue these are not roads where the speed limit is "too high", since if there isn't some particular safety problem, then why bother lowering it?

I remember this being the case on MO 85 west of US 65 in the Ozarks. My Mom couldn't believe the speed limit was so high, and I agree that it was a bit much. But I certainly prefer that to Ontario where the 401 is signed 100 km/h (62 mph) :pan:

jakeroot

I'm not sure if there is such a thing. If there are roads where the limit feels difficult to reach, the limit is probably higher than the 85th percentile (and is therefore over-posted). But a limit should be a limit. If that limit truly feels like the fastest you could do in the safest condition (dry, daylight), it really does fit the description of a "limit".

Max Rockatansky

California is like that also, essentially if you see "end 35 MPH" or haven't seen any speed limit sign then the limit is 55 MPH.  That means that roads like CA 4 over Ebbetts Pass or really ANY road with an unposted speed limit has an actual limit of 55 MPH.  I wouldn't far as to say that the speed limit is "too high" since in many cases it is essentially impossible to even reach 55 MPH much less exceed it.  Now some roads like CA 1 in Big Sur, CA 180 in Kings Canyon, or even a CA 245 can be a absolute blast since you can really test the limits of your driving ability while not having to worry about getting tagged up for speeding.  The only drawback is that in a tourist area than most of the other drivers aren't aware that the speed limit is really 55 MPH or think the yellow advisory signs are the actual limit.

SectorZ

In Massachusetts, really none at all. Probably the only road I find myself not hitting the speed limit on is US 1 in Newbury, where it's either 50 or 55 (don't remember off the top of my head).

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 06, 2017, 07:59:20 AM

California is like that also, essentially if you see "end 35 MPH" or haven't seen any speed limit sign then the limit is 55 MPH.  That means that roads like CA 4 over Ebbetts Pass or really ANY road with an unposted speed limit has an actual limit of 55 MPH.  I wouldn't far as to say that the speed limit is "too high" since in many cases it is essentially impossible to even reach 55 MPH much less exceed it. 

I could be wrong, but I believe most states have default legal speed limits. In Washington, unless other posted, speed limits are 60 on state highways, 50 on county roads, and 25 in cities. In particular, I enjoy turning onto a random road out in the country, and immediately flooring it to 50 (most roads are county roads), until I see a speed limit sign (which is often, very few roads without posted limits, even if it matches the default limit).

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on May 06, 2017, 08:48:43 AM
In Massachusetts, really none at all. Probably the only road I find myself not hitting the speed limit on is US 1 in Newbury, where it's either 50 or 55 (don't remember off the top of my head).

It's 55, but it's also one of the few surface roads in the area without any curves.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Duke87

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 06, 2017, 07:59:20 AM

California is like that also, essentially if you see "end 35 MPH" or haven't seen any speed limit sign then the limit is 55 MPH.  That means that roads like CA 4 over Ebbetts Pass or really ANY road with an unposted speed limit has an actual limit of 55 MPH.

Not quite the same thing. West Virginia actually posts signs saying "speed limit 55" on the roads I'm describing.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Takumi

For all Virginia's infamy about enforcing its speed limits, there are lots of narrow, twisty back roads that have speed limits of 55, some posted so, and others by default, with zero police presence. One road in particular is so narrow that my 2001 Prelude, hardly a wide car by US standards, took up well over half of the roadway.

Until about a month ago, there was a segment of VA 145 that was posted at 55 that I was surprised wasn't lower, but it's 45 now.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Takumi on May 06, 2017, 11:40:02 AM
For all Virginia's infamy about enforcing its speed limits, there are lots of narrow, twisty back roads that have speed limits of 55, some posted so, and others by default, with zero police presence. One road in particular is so narrow that my 2001 Prelude, hardly a wide car by US standards, took up well over half of the roadway.

Until about a month ago, there was a segment of VA 145 that was posted at 55 that I was surprised wasn't lower, but it's 45 now.
I would put it lower, maybe at 35.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 06, 2017, 12:02:38 PM
Quote from: Takumi on May 06, 2017, 11:40:02 AM

I would put it lower, maybe at 35.

You really think people are going to try 55 MPH on that road? 

Ingsoc75

I was moving from Huntsville, Alabama to to Albuquerque, New Mexico in March and stopped to pee at FM 3075 off I-40 in Texas. The speed limit was 75 mph and it was a rough two lane road (I know because I couldn't help but drive down it for a couple of miles).
Check out my Speed Limit Sign Gallery.

SP Cook

Roadgeekteen

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 06, 2017, 03:38:23 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on May 06, 2017, 03:29:28 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 05, 2017, 10:20:19 PM
Are there any?

no
No? None? So it is fine that the dirt road above is 55?

I've driven a couple north of Rapid City, SD that had speed limits post in that neighborhood and they were perfectly safe.  Really a dirt or gravel road is about as safe as it is engineered, they aren't all crumbling 4WD trails. 

UCFKnights

Are there any?

no
It all depends on the vehicle driving on it too, so yes, its fine. The speed limit is a speed that shall not be exceeded, not a minimum requirement of a speed to go. It is not a "too high" speed limit if people don't speed on the road. Its only too high if the high limit is leading people to actually drive unsafely, and causing some accidents.

Pink Jazz

In Puerto Rico, while most of the tolled Autopistas are posted at 65 mph, most drivers except tourists don't drive 65 even though the roadway geometry supports that speed.  I think only on PR-53 you can reasonably drive 65 mph due to low traffic count, yet only the southern portion of PR-53 is posted at 65 mph (the northern portion is posted at 60 mph).

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: UCFKnights on May 06, 2017, 04:59:00 PM
Are there any?

no
It all depends on the vehicle driving on it too, so yes, its fine. The speed limit is a speed that shall not be exceeded, not a minimum requirement of a speed to go. It is not a "too high" speed limit if people don't speed on the road. Its only too high if the high limit is leading people to actually drive unsafely, and causing some accidents.
In theory this is the case, but in Massachusetts speed limits are seen as the speed you can drive 10-15 mph over.

TheHighwayMan3561

I recall a section of US 1 in eastern Maine posted at 50 that felt too curvy for it.

I feel in general a lot of the unpaved roads with posted speed limits end up being too difficult to drive that limit, at least in my part of the country. Some states probably maintain their unpaved roads better than others.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Pink Jazz

Until 2015, New Mexico did have a default speed limit of 75 mph on county roads if no speed limit was posted, however, this was changed in 2015 to 55 mph.  Many county roads in NM are unpaved, so I can see why this change was made.

kphoger

Quote from: 7/8 on May 06, 2017, 12:34:51 AM
I remember this being the case on MO 85 west of US 65 in the Ozarks. My Mom couldn't believe the speed limit was so high, and I agree that it was a bit much. But I certainly prefer that to Ontario where the 401 is signed 100 km/h (62 mph)

This is true for a lot of the narrow, sinuous roads in the Ozarks.  They typically carry the standard 55-mph speed limit, but have advisory speeds for almost every curve.  However, one should not assume it's safe to go 55 around every curve without an advisory tab.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mohkfry

Indiana 17 between Kewanna, Indiana and Indiana 14. Posted at 55 but it's impossible to get above 40 on most of it. Too many sharp curves and blind hills to get up to the speed limit. In town isn't much better. 25 mph speed limit where your lucky to hit 15 with the narrow road and sharp turns.

This was a few years ago. I have no idea what the speed limit is now.

US 89

SR-39 east of Huntsville UT is posted at 55 mph. However, it is quite scenic, and there are many tight curves, so most people won't go more than 45 on it.

ilpt4u

Call me a weakling Flatlander/Midwesterner, but I-70 near and around the WV/PA State Line. I don't remember what it was signed, but I was doing around 50-55 (and barely thought that was safe) and was getting passed constantly, and I thought I was gonna die... Did that drive for a road trip from Central IL to Pittsburgh a few years back

Considering I was getting buzzed constantly, I guess its not a thing to the Locals and Regulars there

The return route, I went north to the PA/OH Turnpike and then across to I-71 at Akron and back down to I-70 at Columbus to come back to IL. Longer route, but I felt a heck of a lot better and safer driving it...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.