News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Central Susquehanna Valley Road Meet Spring 2018

Started by jpi, May 15, 2017, 07:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 21, 2017, 04:16:15 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 21, 2017, 03:33:06 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 21, 2017, 01:42:39 PM

I do not think I have ever seen a road meet happen on a weekday yet.   :-D  (I am not counting gatherings such as the one in upstate New York back in March.)

Some of the multi-day meets have involved Thursday and/or Friday events.
I am sure of that, but were any of those events part of the main meet?
The Tulsa meet was on a Monday.

froggie

Quote from: 74/171FANI am sure of that, but were any of those events part of the main meet?

Some Friday events have, yes.

jpi

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 21, 2017, 01:16:21 PM
This is a certainty for me, considering I LIVE in the Susquehanna Valley (I'm not exactly sure how you would define Franklin County though - maybe Appalachia?). Expect to see my dad and moí here, just a BIT older (I was 10 or 11 at the last meet).

Should note: I'd appreciate if it was a weekend (my dad is off). These areas are 1.5 to 2 hours away from me (which is a bit of a stretch). This also gives me a reason to visit Williamsport to see my dead cat's ashes.
Can't promise anything for that but chances are it will be one of 3 weekends toward the end of April\ 1st weekend of May 2018, I am going to schedule this around another event that I participate in with my other hobby, by around Christmas time I should have dates set and a poll for which dates would work out best for everyone, including me. :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

dgolub

I'm definitely interested, and by then I should in theory be moved out of Manhattan and have my own vehicle, so I won't be dependent on a carpool to get to meets anymore.

hbelkins

The bulk of Dan Garnell's Indianapolis meet a few years ago was on Friday. Saturday was only a half-day.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Here is an updated link, looks like the final alignment will be picked this fall for the "southern" section, the northern section is well under way with construction
http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/05/revised_thruway_location_in_sn.html

Also one restaurant I am considering for the meet is Hoss's Steak and Sea House in Shamokin Dam, it is half way between the end of the Selinsgrove by-pass and where the new alignment will cross US 15 north of the US 11 split, it is a regional chain mostly in Pennsylvania and has a meeting room that could accomadate us if we have the same # of attendees as my meet last year. Also after lunch we can drive to the Susquehanna Valley Mall and park vehicles there, I plan on having a mini van (rental with stow and go seating) that will help with car pooling. 

I am thinking we check out what will be the southern alignment at different vantage points then move on to the northern alignment and it's vantage points. I am thinking the tour may not be much longer then what Brandon had with his meet this past weekend, one possible "add on" I am thinking is a drive up US 15 (future I-99) to the Corning, NY area, this would add roughly 3 hours to the tour but again I am open for any and all suggestions. :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Hi everyone,
It has been a while since I posted any updates on this, I am going to be in central PA (Harrisburg\ York area) the last week of this month for the annual Hershey toy show, I will also be taking a day and scouting in the area of this construction project for some vantage points and to see how the progress is coming along. Also I plan on checking out the new US 322\ PA 144 interchange construction near Center Hall, I am thinking of tying these 2 together in the same meet, they are roughly 40 miles apart from each other. Any feedback would be great, will keep you all posted.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

froggie

I'd suggest 322/144 as an optional post-meet item instead of part of the same meet.

Alps

Quote from: jpi on September 13, 2017, 11:24:14 AM
Hi everyone,
It has been a while since I posted any updates on this, I am going to be in central PA (Harrisburg\ York area) the last week of this month for the annual Hershey toy show, I will also be taking a day and scouting in the area of this construction project for some vantage points and to see how the progress is coming along. Also I plan on checking out the new US 322\ PA 144 interchange construction near Center Hall, I am thinking of tying these 2 together in the same meet, they are roughly 40 miles apart from each other. Any feedback would be great, will keep you all posted.
Are there things to see between the two sites? 40 miles each way has definitely been done before at several meets, but if both directions are just driving, it's not worth it. If at least one direction has some diversions, go for it.

noelbotevera

I've deliberately decided to wait for updates, or else I'd ask earlier. Is it still planned for a weekend in April or May, or has anything changed in the following months?

Also, is any sort of itinerary planned? I'm indifferent if it's some sort of rough draft or unpolished version.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on September 13, 2017, 08:13:28 PM
Hi everyone,
Are there things to see between the two sites? 40 miles each way has definitely been done before at several meets, but if both directions are just driving, it's not worth it. If at least one direction has some diversions, go for it.

It's rural PA. There almost certainly is stuff to check out in the middle. And yeah, I'd definitely be down for it (being as I'd probably check it out on my own if it's not part of the meet).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jpi

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 13, 2017, 08:39:54 PM
I've deliberately decided to wait for updates, or else I'd ask earlier. Is it still planned for a weekend in April or May, or has anything changed in the following months?

Also, is any sort of itinerary planned? I'm indifferent if it's some sort of rough draft or unpolished version.
Yes this is still planned for a weekend in either April to very early May, I am trying to tie this in with one of the toy shows I do in the region to help minimize my vacation time, as for itinerary once I am done with the scouting I plan on doing in 2 weeks then I will have a pretty good idea for a "rough draft" keep in mind this meet is several months out and I have at least 2 more PA visits planned between 9/30 and April to shore up those plans.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Quote from: cl94 on September 13, 2017, 08:54:52 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 13, 2017, 08:13:28 PM
Hi everyone,

It's rural PA. There almost certainly is stuff to check out in the middle. And yeah, I'd definitely be down for it (being as I'd probably check it out on my own if it's not part of the meet).
Agreed, there may be a covered bridge or 2 since there is some amish in this part of PA, my plan is to either drive along PA 45or even run I-80 to I-99 to PA 144 south and over Nitany Mountain so again thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming!  :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

dgolub

Interested.  By then, I should in theory own a car, so transportation logistics will be much less of an issue for me.

tckma

Interested.  By then my financial situation ought to have improved considerably.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on May 22, 2017, 01:38:13 PM
The bulk of Dan Garnell's Indianapolis meet a few years ago was on Friday. Saturday was only a half-day.

It's hard to believe that was eight years ago already!
-A.J. from Michigan

PHLBOS

As long as it doesn't fall on a weekend that I'm either away or have other plans/commitments; I'm interested in attending.  Depending on the exact location of this meet; I'm about 1-1/2 to 2 hours away.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Bitmapped

I'm interested in this meet, moreso than the Harrisburg/York one.

I'd keep the US 322/PA 144 interchange as optional rather than part of the core meet. There's not much going on along US 522 and PA 45 between the US 15 corridor and the US 322 corridor, so it'd be a bit of driving just to see the interchange. You could theoretically wrap in Lewistown with the 522 bypass, freeway at-grade railroad crossing, and Charles Street connector ramp if you wanted to expand but that stuff has been open for years/decades so I'm not sure how much interest it would have.

jpi

Today my nephew and I ventured up to the Shamokin Dam area and scouted out the construction, lots of earth moved and several bridge piers are in place for the West Branch Susquehanna River bridge, we checked out area near the US 15 side and the PA 147 side along with some great vantage points at a state park with awesome overlooks of Sunbury and Northumberland. At one vantage point you can make out the construction on the PA 147 side. I have taken several pics of the construction and will post on facebook in the next week.

From there we headed west on PA 192 from Lewisburg to Center Hall and south on PA 144 to US 322. No construction in Potters Mill proper but there is construction with the new "local" interchange and a rebuild of the east bound carriage way of the current 4-lane 322 on the north side of Seven Mountains. Also discovered an old abandoned rail road bridge in Lewisburg that I may incorporate into this meet.

So overall I think I will postpone the 322 part of this meet for another time but really focus on the Central Susquehanna Valley Expressway section and maybe wrap up in downtown Williamsport. It was a nice unusually warm late September day so my pics came out good and again the area is heavy with construction activity so by the end of April there should be some good progress. :nod: Agan stay tuned for more updates! :sombrero:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Here is a link for the official announcement and to vote on which date in late April is best for the meet.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21795.0
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.