News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Signed County Route G14

Started by Max Rockatansky, June 02, 2017, 10:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

The third of three signed route clinches today was one of the big dogs in the sphere of Signed County Routes with G14.  I started from US 101 north of King City on the Salinas River and made my way the entirety of the 61.81 miles south back to US 101 in Paso Robles:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151828809@N08/BK9x6g

Something of note I saw on US 101, there isn't much in the way of County Route signage indicating Jolon Road is G14.  I know there is one sign on northbound US 101 but it is somewhere south of Broadway.  Aside from that the entirety of G14 is signed very well in Monterey and SLO Counties. 

The first 25 mile or so southbound of G14 on Jolon Road which traverses a lot of Salinas Valley before entering the outskirts of the Santa Lucia Range upon entering Fort Hunter Liggett.  Really there isn't too much exciting until Mission Road where the signage for the De Anza Historic Trail picks up.  Essentially all of G14 technically is on the De Anza Historic Trail but the signage north of Fort Hunter Liggett is non-existent.  Basically the route is the signed on the trail that Spanish Soldiers took in 1775 to 1776 to found a mission up in San Francisco, CAhighways details it far better than I can:

http://www.cahighways.org/deanza.html

At Lockwood G14 turns south on Interlake Road while Jolon Road picks up G18.  From G18, G14 is signed as a Scenic Route with the appropriate placard signage. South to Nacimiento Lake Drive G14 gains a lot of elevation and has some crazy grades in addition to having decent overviews of Lake Nacimiento to the south with Lake San Antonio the north.  On the ridge above the lakes is the boundary for SLO County. 

At Lake Nacimiento Lake Drive G14 meets G19 and follows said road south to Lake Nacimiento and over Nacimiento Dam.  The Nacimiento Dam is an earthen dam that was completed in 1957 and impounds an 18 mile long reservoir on the Nacimiento River.  Lake Nacimiento Lake Road has some pretty steep grades, some as much as 10% before leveling out near Chimney Rock Road and a formation of the same name.  G14 the rest of the way to US 101 in Paso Robles is pretty tame and there was a decent G14 "End" even to be had at the southern terminus.

I was actually surprised, I haven't ever driven G14 in SLO County and it is actually a pretty high quality route compared to what I've come to expect out of the Signed County Route system.  Going back to the 1934 Maps all of Jolon Road is shown as a maintained County Route in Monterey County which I find somewhat surprising given Fort Hunter Liggett was built in 1940:

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~247320~5515371:Monterey-County-?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:california%2Bdivision%2Bof%2Bhighways;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=48&trs=160

Interestingly it seems that Jolon Road east of Lockwood has been substantially straighten through what was likely farm parcels since the 1930s.  Obviously everything south of Lockwood wasn't that big of a deal until Lake Nacimiento was impounded in the 1950s.  CAhighways has G14 being defined back in 1971:

http://www.cahighways.org/countyg.html#G14

Max Rockatansky

I didn't get a picture to capture the changes, but the BGS signs approaching Jolon Road/G14 southbound on US 101 were changed to Monterey County 18 in error.  The GSV doesn't reflect the change yet, it must have happened since this image was take in May last year:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1982457,-121.1520144,3a,15y,177.99h,92.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sY6o16SAwyzF1TVv3079QoA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I'm pretty sure both BGSs are completely new sheeting as one of the two previously didn't display any County Route signage.  It is kind of amusing that there is an error that displays "18" instead of "G14."  It would seem someone in Caltrans was confused about what County Route US 101 was connecting to and that the letters indicate what area of the state said route is in.  Once I get either an updated photo or the GSV image refreshes I will post it here.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: NE2 on June 11, 2017, 11:13:36 PM
The northbound sign at actual G18 can be seen: http://www.google.com/maps/@35.8700239,-120.8285942,3a,75y,294.94h,90.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9Pk1gNV7lupdkN4ia_bTeA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

That's the exact design now at the King City exit for Jolon Road/G14.  Weird that one for FHL is several years older and still doesn't correctly display the "G" in G18.

Max Rockatansky

Got around to finally taking a picture of the error "County Route 18" where "County Route G14" ought to be:

18CRErrorA by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

andy3175

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 16, 2017, 12:54:12 AM
Got around to finally taking a picture of the error "County Route 18" where "County Route G14" ought to be:

18CRErrorA by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I saw this sign last week. I always liked how the county route shield appeared on the green guide sign, and I'm glad they have retained that feature in the new sign, even if the route number itself is incorrect. I also noticed quite a few porcelain enamel signs in and around San Luis Obispo are now replaced. I'll have to post some of the new signs I photographed on the AARoads Facebook page.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Max Rockatansky

I noticed on some of the routes that Monterey County has been on a binge for shield replacement lately.  G16 and G17 also had new shields that were put up fairly recently.  For as serious as Monterey takes the program there are still some fairly old County Route shield finds out there to be had.  Interestingly the BGS is more than likely a Caltrans signing error since it is on a BGS along US 101.  Might be worth while to try to contact District 5.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.