News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Apple End Ipod nano and Ipod shuffle

Started by bing101, July 27, 2017, 10:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doorknob60

Quote from: vdeane on July 31, 2017, 10:05:02 PM
Quote from: doorknob60 on July 31, 2017, 04:27:39 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 29, 2017, 06:19:06 PM
The other reason I don't like the idea of connecting my phone to my car is because then your car gets full access to your phone, and yes, data does get left behind in the car.  And since the automakers don't give a crap about security, cars are very easy to hack.  If you connect to a friend's car, the data might intermingle.  Seems like a good way to spread viruses, at the very least.  This will only get worse if the self-driving ridesharing concept becomes reality.

That's not how a 3.5mm audio jack works. Zero chance of anything like that happening with one of those. And I think it's safe to say the same about Bluetooth (though I am not 100% certain). At the very least, neither one "gives the car full access to your phone".
Most people use USB or Bluetooth to connect phones, both of which are two way connections, rather than one way like the audio jack.  And you should check current phone designs.  The audio jack is going the way of the dodo.  It's not just the iPhone any more.

Plus using the touch screen to change tracks is harder to do than with the iPod click wheel, plus it's illegal most everywhere.  Now, I haven't had a chance to actually test it out (if I'm using my phone as something other than a phone, it probably means I needed to check something on Google Maps or wanted to browse the internet in a small moment when I was bored), but I imagine the software is clunkier too.

Yes Bluetooth is a 2 way connection, but it doesn't give the car full access to the device or the files on it. It can give it access to contacts, phone calls, maybe text messages (not sure about that one). But you can enable what's allowed to be accessed (you could set it to audio only). I've never used USB for that, only charging (I have a USB port in my car but when I plug my phone in, it only charges, nothing else happens).

I won't disagree about the touch screen thing, but if you use bluetooth, at least the next and previous buttons on your stereo/steering wheel should work (they do for me). And if interested you can buy a mount for your phone to mount it like a GPS unit. Though really you shouldn't be doing anything more than hitting next while behind the wheel.

That said, I prefer SiriusXM while driving, it's a lot easier to deal with than anything else.

jakeroot

Plus using the touch screen to change tracks is harder to do than with the iPod click wheel, plus it's illegal most everywhere.  Now, I haven't had a chance to actually test it out (if I'm using my phone as something other than a phone, it probably means I needed to check something on Google Maps or wanted to browse the internet in a small moment when I was bored), but I imagine the software is clunkier too.

Every car that I've used with a USB or Bluetooth connection allows track skipping with the car's built-in "seek up" and "seek down" buttons. Other than volume, you'd need to look at the device to do anything else, iPod Classic or iPhone/touchscreen smartphone.

Scott5114

I'm accustomed enough to my phone's interface that I can skip forward without looking, at least.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Quote from: jakeroot on July 31, 2017, 10:16:36 PM

Every car that I've used with a USB or Bluetooth connection allows track skipping with the car's built-in "seek up" and "seek down" buttons. Other than volume, you'd need to look at the device to do anything else, iPod Classic or iPhone/touchscreen smartphone.
You still need to select the album/playlist you want to listen to, and the connection (unless you use a good old aux cable) locks the device so you have to use the car's interface.  Or are you supposed to use it as a glorified iPod Shuffle?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on August 01, 2017, 10:16:30 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 31, 2017, 10:16:36 PM

You still need to select the album/playlist you want to listen to, and the connection (unless you use a good old aux cable) locks the device so you have to use the car's interface.  Or are you supposed to use it as a glorified iPod Shuffle?

With a USB interface (iPhone/iPod only), correct, it locks the device so that you can only use the car's interface to change the audio. But that's fine, because it's legal, and (at least in the case of my car) allows the use of voice-control to select tracks, artists, and playlists.

Bluetooth doesn't lock your phone. You have to manually select the playlist/album/artist/etc on the phone, but you can skip tracks with the seek buttons built into the car. I've never seen a car that didn't skip tracks with the seek buttons when connected via Bluetooth.

Aux is, truthfully, the worst way to play audio through the car. It only transmits audio, so there's no way to change tracks with the car's controls. I personally find myself changing tracks more than playlists, so for me, Aux is terrible lest there's no other option.

Roadgeekteen

Did anyone actualy still use those things?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

I can charge my phone with it plugged into the cigarette lighter while it is playing through Bluetooth.  Charging through USB takes hours.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on August 01, 2017, 11:36:36 PM
I can charge my phone with it plugged into the cigarette lighter while it is playing through Bluetooth.  Charging through USB takes hours.
You smoke?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 01, 2017, 10:55:43 PM
Did anyone actualy still use those things?

Mostly people who believe that phones provide an inferior user experience when playing back music. I'm not one of those people; my suspicion is that I'm of the majority.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 01, 2017, 11:37:43 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 01, 2017, 11:36:36 PM

You smoke?

Finally, I can explain something to someone younger than me...

Cigarette lighter meaning 12 Volt socket. These were always cigarette lighters back in the day, but served dual purpose as a charger for phones and other electronic devices.

hbelkins

Quote from: jakeroot on August 01, 2017, 10:39:13 PM
Aux is, truthfully, the worst way to play audio through the car. It only transmits audio, so there's no way to change tracks with the car's controls. I personally find myself changing tracks more than playlists, so for me, Aux is terrible lest there's no other option.

I've had occasion to use my old iPad Classic with a USB car interface, and quite honestly, I hated it. I prefer the AUX audio cable because it keeps control of the music on the device. I don't want to change tracks with the car's controls.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on August 02, 2017, 11:07:09 PM

I've had occasion to use my old iPad Classic with a USB car interface, and quite honestly, I hated it. I prefer the AUX audio cable because it keeps control of the music on the device. I don't want to change tracks with the car's controls.

Probably because you weren't used to the car's controls. The iPod's have great interfaces, sure, but their screens (especially those on the non-touch devices) are tiny, and take too much focus off the road to use safely IMO.

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on August 02, 2017, 11:07:09 PMl

Yeah, I've found they're great if they can read your iPod quickly or immediately.

Some just pick up the iPod and take over the controls quickly, others scan the entire contents and respond back 5 minutes later. That all do it a little differently than the next, but I usually just use the AUX port if it exists (some rentals only have the USB ports).

In short, they usually all work best in "set and forget" mode, not when you feel like listening to different albums from varying artists every 45-70 minutes, so I've gotten used to creating playlists in advance or hitting random when driving alone.

D-Dey65

In my previous car, I bought a cheap Kenwood aftermarket car stereo to replace the Rockford Fosgate aftermarket car stereo that wasn't working. It played CD's and had a USB jack and an auxiliary jack, so I was able to either play my iPod Classic (I have 160G too), or a flash drive, or a stick an SD card into a card reader.

My current car has the factory stereo, which is primitive compared to what's available today. If I want to play my iPod, I just grab a cassette adapter and plug it in the headphone jack. I've been considering an attachment that allows all those other jacks.

In either case, I have to use the click wheel, and be sure to set it the way I want.

hbelkins

It's been so long since I've driven my old truck that I forgot about it. I replaced the factory stereo in it with one that has a USB port and an iPod interface as well as an AUX port. I have the choice of using the stereo's iPod controls or using the iPod. I tried both ways and opted to stay with the iPod.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.