Itinerary for multi-day Kentucky meet and tour?

Started by hbelkins, December 11, 2009, 12:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which itinerary would you prefer to see for a multi-day Kentucky road meet and tour? Day 1 would be Thursday, Day 2 would be Friday.

Day 1: Frankfort, Louisville, Ohio River area; Day 2, south of Lexington, London-Somerset area, US 27-68 corridor south of Lexington.
1 (12.5%)
Day 1, south of Lexington, London-Somerset area, US 27-68 corridor south of Lexington; Day 2: Frankfort, Louisville, Ohio River area
1 (12.5%)
Either is fine.
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

hbelkins

I'm considering a multi-day Kentucky meet and tour for late spring (May or June). This would be a 2 1/2 day meet with activities all day Thursday, all day Friday and half a day on Saturday. Since some people might not be able to attend the entire meet, the schedule can be tailored to make Friday activities the one that most people prefer.

The meet would be centered in Lexington. One day would involve going west to Frankfort and Louisville and back along the Ohio River in southern Indiana and back to Lexington. One day would involve going south to the London-Somerset area and returning via US 27. (Saturday would be a short tour of Paris Pike, any ongoing construction that may have started on I-64 widening in Clark County, and lunch at a popular local eatery before adjourning).

Vote your preference. I'll also post a poll on the Roadgeek Yahoo group. The most popular itinerary will become Friday's adventure since that's the one most people would prefer; the other will be on Thursday for those who want to attend the whole meet and tour. Closing date of the poll is open-ended; the meet is several months away.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Wouldn't it make more sense, given peoples work schedules and leave and all that, to do a Friday/Saturday thing instead of a Thursday/Friday thing?

SSOWorld

I agree with froggie here - you're asking many of us to take vacation days to be at the meet.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

I'm modeling this on what Jeff Kitsko did for his national meet in Pittsburgh in 2006. He did three full days on Thursday-Friday-Saturday. I'm not going that far; only doing a half-day on Saturday.

That's why I put the poll up. I can make the most popular part the Friday attraction, and leave Thursday for anyone who wants to come a day earlier.

CanesFan27

Why is everyone on this multi-day meet kick lately?  It just seems like most of them really are stretches to find something to do.

TO HB's response...i think three days in Pittsburgh worked because there is so much there, and there is a local base of people there.  This is not meant to be snarky, but will three days in Kentucky or Iowa really attract people  (outside of those who try to make every possible meet) to take days off and go to the meet.

I'd love to go to Kentucky, but personally I would rather do one day of a meet (if there is something like Knoxville I-40 project or The Wilson Bridge in DC going on that is unique) and spend the rest of the time exploring on my own.

But that's just me. 

froggie

QuoteI'm modeling this on what Jeff Kitsko did for his national meet in Pittsburgh in 2006. He did three full days on Thursday-Friday-Saturday. I'm not going that far; only doing a half-day on Saturday.

Based on that, I think you'd have better response going half-day on Thursday instead of half-day on Saturday.  But my original comment (and masterson's agreement of it) still stands.

mightyace

Quote from: froggie on December 11, 2009, 02:36:26 PM
Based on that, I think you'd have better response going half-day on Thursday instead of half-day on Saturday.  But my original comment (and masterson's agreement of it) still stands.

Agreed, if it was a half-day Thursday, I could make all three days while only taking Thursday and Friday off.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

SSOWorld

Quote from: froggie on December 11, 2009, 02:36:26 PM
QuoteI'm modeling this on what Jeff Kitsko did for his national meet in Pittsburgh in 2006. He did three full days on Thursday-Friday-Saturday. I'm not going that far; only doing a half-day on Saturday.

indeed my agreement with froggie still stands. 8)
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on December 11, 2009, 02:08:00 PM
I'm modeling this on what Jeff Kitsko did for his national meet in Pittsburgh in 2006. He did three full days on Thursday-Friday-Saturday. I'm not going that far; only doing a half-day on Saturday.

The Chicago/Milwaukee national meet in 2008 was Friday-Saturday, plus a Thursday evening meet-and-greet.  I think the timing worked well, though I had to skip the Saturday evening event to get an early start on the long drive back home on Sunday.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

DanTheMan414

Quote from: oscar on December 11, 2009, 05:18:58 PMThe Chicago/Milwaukee national meet in 2008 was Friday-Saturday, plus a Thursday evening meet-and-greet.  I think the timing worked well, though I had to skip the Saturday evening event to get an early start on the long drive back home on Sunday.

I concur with Oscar, that format seemed to work out well.  That's how the Indianapolis meet played out, as well, although the Saturday tour in this case ended in the early afternoon, rather than the early evening, as it did the Chicago meet.  That made it easier for those who had to leave earlier to get a fuller gist of a tour, and allowed those who were sticking around another night to do some further touring.  In this case, they followed the National Road west from Indianapolis into Illinois...and found some neat stuff along the way. :sombrero:

Dougtone

I'm not completely sold on the idea of having multiple multi-day meets each year, especially with the emphasis on not having much going on for the Saturday part of the meet.  Most of us have vacation days at a premium, and I really can't see myself taking more than one vacation day, let alone 2 or 3 vacations days, to attend a meet over 10 hours away.

hbelkins

If I could figure out how to close this poll, I would.  :confused:

Based on a general lack of interest, plus a few other personal factors, there will be no multi-day Kentucky meet this year as originally conceived. A number of the projects that I had chosen for an itinerary will be completed this year, so I also see no options for a multi-day meet in the Bluegrass in the near future. I think we could have had a fun and successful event, but looks as if it's just not to be

I've been doing single-day meets every other year for the past few years (2009 in Charleston, WV; 2007 in Somerset, Ky. and 2005 in Pikeville, Ky.). I'll look for something that would be suitable for a Saturday meet in eastern or central Kentucky or western West Virginia for next year, and will graciously accept any suggestions or recommendations.

Looking forward to seeing many of you at other meets throughout this year. Right now I hope to attend Baltimore, Akron, SEPA and Iowa. Kansas City and Shreveport-Texarkana are "maybe's."

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Raise your what?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.