News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Your favorite vehicle?

Started by ColossalBlocks, August 30, 2017, 06:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColossalBlocks

So what's y'all's favorite cars/trucks?

As some of you can tell, I am quite fond of the 2005 Chevy Silverado.  :biggrin:

I'm also a fan of Peterbilts and Kenworths (the 389, K100, W900, and 579 to be exact).

I also have a fondness for the Nissan Skyline R34.

So what's yours?
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Kind of fond of my 2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack:

IMG_6560 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

But really out of all the classic muscle era cars that were ever built I would have to say that it the 1969 Corvette ZL1 probably catches my attention the most.  I want to say only 2-3 ZL1 Corvettes were built, that giant aluminum 427 big block was just absurdly over the top even the standards of the era in a sports car.

PHLBOS

1969 or 1970 Mercury Marauder ('69 model shown below)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cjk374

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 31, 2017, 12:06:19 AM

But really out of all the classic muscle era cars that were ever built I would have to say that it the 1969 Corvette ZL1 probably catches my attention the most.  I want to say only 2-3 ZL1 Corvettes were built, that giant aluminum 427 big block was just absurdly over the top even the standards of the era in a sports car.

Max: where was this shot made? That is beautiful!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cjk374 on August 31, 2017, 04:46:55 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 31, 2017, 12:06:19 AM

Max: where was this shot made? That is beautiful!

California 180 at the bottom of Kings Canyon.  If you look east of Hume Lake on Google Maps it is labeled as "Horseshoe Bend."   I'll link over a GSV location later today, I referenced said curve in my CA 180 thread on the Pacific Southwest Board.  Totally beautiful high and completely underrated IMO.

Edit:  Here is the location on the GSV:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8224628,-118.8352169,3a,75y,175.4h,83.83t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sgb9TehdKjnJ0PK1fplYYpw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dgb9TehdKjnJ0PK1fplYYpw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D101.00139%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Incidentally this past month two cars have gone over the side of the canyon directly behind where the Challenger is located in the picture.  Its a 500 foot drop down the canyon to the Kings River, in total there has been four fatalities and I don't think any of the bodies have been recovered due to the high rapids.

cjk374

I may be one of the few people on this planet....and maybe the only forum member here...who loves those 80s GM G-bodies.  :love:

This one is mine. Please excuse its rough appearance for it is now a "project car" that I am slowly trying to get back to being road-worthy:

My project car. by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr

I have owned this car since 1994 (this is the 2nd car I have ever owned). I believe I have put about 250K miles on it myself. The last big road trip it took was to Wichita, KS in 2007.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cjk374 on September 04, 2017, 08:01:56 AM
I may be one of the few people on this planet....and maybe the only forum member here...who loves those 80s GM G-bodies.  :love:

This one is mine. Please excuse its rough appearance for it is now a "project car" that I am slowly trying to get back to being road-worthy:

I have owned this car since 1994 (this is the 2nd car I have ever owned). I believe I have put about 250K miles on it myself. The last big road trip it took was to Wichita, KS in 2007.

When I was a kid I really wanted a G-Body Monte Carlo SS or a 2+2 Grand Prix.  Unfortunately they both were still kinda considered performance cars at the time used and were a little out of my price range.  I just wanted something with a V8 that looked like a stock car in NASCAR.

epzik8

Fourth-gen Ford Taurus, produced 1999-2006.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

freebrickproductions

The 2004 Toyota Sienna LE.

Also, as trains technically count of vehicles...
EMD SD40-2s (especially high hoods), GE B23-7s (especially high hoods), and EMD SD70Ms/SD70MACs. :bigass:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Never a classic car fan, but the Hakosuka GTR has to be one of the finest car designs of the mid/late 20th century. Nevermind the car itself. If I had a spare million bucks lying around, you can bet I'd be lining up to acquire one.

For current/new cars, they have to be both practical and good looking. Therefore, no supercars on my "favorites" list. I'm quite a bit fan of Audi's RS7 and S5 hatchbacks (or sportbacks) (S5 pictured below)...

(image from Autoweek)

bing101

jakeroot

Quote from: bing101 on September 04, 2017, 08:10:16 PM
Acura TL

Good car except for that bizarre grill that Acura plastered their cars with for several years.

On a practical level, I will never own an Acura or Honda due to their auto lights not going off after hitting lock. They go off and then come right back on. Extremely annoying. If there was a setting that turned off the auto lights after shutting the car off, I would be happy to consider one.

Quote from: bing101 on September 04, 2017, 08:10:16 PM
Those TL's kind of remind me of Honda Accords

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Accord

The TSX was an Accord (just the European variant with more chrome). The TL was modelled after the TSX, so no surprise that there's some resemblance.

Unless you're referring to the NA Accord? In that case, I don't see any resemblance.

Sanctimoniously

I like all kinds of different vehicles, I couldn't call any particular model my favorite. However, I can say that I am particularly fond of:

-Anything with the Buick V6 engine (1961-2008), even the "bad" variants like the 1975-76 LeSabre V6 with all of its 110 hp for 4400 pounds and the LC4 4.1-liter V6 that was put in full-size GMs in the early 80s, both as a credit option and as a warranty replacement for the other terrible engines GM was putting in vehicles in the early 80s.

-Japanese cabover vans, like the Mitsubishi Delica and Toyota HiAce. One of these days I will import a 4x4 Delica to the States.

-The Toyota Tacoma.

-Bizarre engine-swap projects as frequently seen in the 24 Hours of LeMons, such as the Chrysler Slant Six-swapped BMW E30 and the Charnal House MetSHO.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

cjk374

Quote from: Sanctimoniously on September 05, 2017, 03:19:07 AM

-Bizarre engine-swap projects.......

My Grand Prix sorta-somewhat fits this description. I helped a friend of mine put in a 350 TBI engine out of a '93 Z71 pick up. The wiring harness & computer came out of a '93 Buick Roadmaster.

inkyatari

The Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Bruce

Transit vehicles count, right?  :sombrero:

The Alexander Dennis Enviro500 MMC (a double-decker bus). Carries 82 seated, 120 at crush load, in the 42-ft footprint of a normal bus. Sleek front, comfortable seats (that recline!), nice big windows to watch suckers stuck in non-HOV traffic, and a triple bike rack. Downsides include only 5' 7" of headroom on the upper deck (anyone taller has to hunch over) and the lack of window wipers for the upper deck windows (a must for Seattle winters).

CT Double Tall on route 512 by SounderBruce, on Flickr

The New Flyer Invero (D40i) was an ambitious redesign of a fairly popular line of buses, ditching the boxier designs from the 1990s for a curvier (or bumpier) "sleek" look that would come to dominate New Flyer's Xcelsior line of today. Unfortunately, it was ahead of its time and flopped hard, with only a few operators (Community Transit in Everett, WA; OC in Ottawa) picking up substantial orders. The Community Transit variant has plush seats, pretty good suspension for a 15-year-old bus, and a single plug door at the rear (it's slow as hell but has the cool factor).

CT 24407 leaving Everett Station by SounderBruce, on Flickr

pumpkineater2

The 1997 Dodge Ram 1500. That is what I drive currently and it has been in my family for as long as I can remember, we have made so many memories in this vehicle. 205,000 miles and still going strong, and I plan to take it to Albuquerque in a month or two.

Whenever I see another one on the road I wonder what kind of life it has had.

I am also pretty fond of the Volkswagen Passat, Jetta, and Golf. I will most likely be getting a VW as my next vehicle.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Henry

This (what my father drove):

To me, it was the ultimate road trip vehicle from Chicago to anywhere we went, and the most fun I ever had in my childhood. Of all the classic late 60s-early 70s A-bodies that GM made, the Cutlasses/F85s/442s were the absolute best looking of the bunch.

As for trucks, this (what I drive):

So far, it has served me well on my own road trips that originate from Seattle (originally L.A.). I may get a crossover (Equinox or Traverse) as my next vehicle, but for now, I'm squeezing every last mile out of the current one while I can.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kurumi

Speaking of buses, the Prevost H5-60 is distinctive: a twin-steer, 5-axle articulated tour bus

https://flic.kr/p/ey6W5s
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

cjk374

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 04, 2017, 11:14:36 AM

When I was a kid I really wanted a G-Body Monte Carlo SS or a 2+2 Grand Prix.  Unfortunately they both were still kinda considered performance cars at the time used and were a little out of my price range.  I just wanted something with a V8 that looked like a stock car in NASCAR.

I found a forum you my be interested in:  https://gbodyforum.com

I just joined it a few days ago. Very interesting info on the site.

I also cranked my car for the first time in 7 years. Watch the video at the end of the album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130771900@N08/albums/72157655466458819

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cjk374 on September 11, 2017, 09:44:19 PM

I also cranked my car for the first time in 7 years. Watch the video at the end of the album:

Nine, that 350 out of the C/K will make a great replacement for the 305.  I'm sure that it probably just bolted right into the frame mounts ought to be the same or similar for the Gen I Chevy small blocks.  That interior cleaned pretty nicely.

cjk374

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 11, 2017, 09:56:32 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on September 11, 2017, 09:44:19 PM

Nine, that 350 out of the C/K will make a great replacement for the 305.  I'm sure that it probably just bolted right into the frame mounts ought to be the same or similar for the Gen I Chevy small blocks.  That interior cleaned pretty nicely.

This is my 3rd motor actually. Bought it with a 305, replaced that with a SBC 350 (carburated), then this one. The transmission is 100% toast. I put it in rear today & it did nothing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.