News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Amazon HQ2

Started by Bruce, September 07, 2017, 05:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

From The Washington Post:

Amazon is seeking a home for its HQ2, a $5 billion second headquarters somewhere in North America
September 7, 2017

Amazon.com is scouting North American cities for a second company headquarters, where it plans to hire as many as 50,000 full-time workers, the tech giant announced Thursday.

The Seattle-based company says it plans to invest $5 billion in construction and operation of the new location, which it is calling Amazon HQ2.

More details here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/?node=17044620011

In choosing the location for HQ2, Amazon has a preference for:

• Metropolitan areas with more than one million people
  • A stable and business-friendly environment
  • Urban or suburban locations with the potential to attract and retain strong technical talent
    Communities that think big and creatively when considering locations and real estate options

HQ2 could be, but does not have to be:

• An urban or downtown campus
  • A similar layout to Amazon's Seattle campus
  • A development-prepped site. We want to encourage states and communities to think creatively for viable real estate options, while not negatively affecting our preferred timeline.

Amazon HQ2 will be a complete headquarters for Amazon — not a satellite office. Amazon expects to hire new teams and executives in HQ2, and will also let existing senior leaders across the company decide whether to locate their teams in HQ1, HQ2 or both. The company expects that employees who are currently working in HQ1 can choose to continue working there, or they could have an opportunity to move if they would prefer to be located in HQ2.

So...where should Amazon build their second headquarters? Keep in mind that it needs to be accessible from Seattle via direct flights, so a good airport is necessary.

english si

The European HQ in Dublin doesn't have direct flights to Seattle and given that this is new teams rather than splitting teams, then I'm not sure the direct flights are a deal-breaker. Though I'd imagine that the other requirements mean that it is highly unlikely that the city chosen won't have them.

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Bruce

Quote from: english si on September 07, 2017, 06:13:42 PM
The European HQ in Dublin doesn't have direct flights to Seattle and given that this is new teams rather than splitting teams, then I'm not sure the direct flights are a deal-breaker. Though I'd imagine that the other requirements mean that it is highly unlikely that the city chosen won't have them.

Given that this is a second headquarters in the same region, there will be some teams needing frequent face-to-face meetings. Direct (not necessarily non-stop) flights are a must.

hotdogPi

My first thought was to make it international, since it was proposed for North America, not just the United States. Unfortunately, all areas along the border are either too close to the first location, not urban enough, or in the Rust Belt.

How about Lowell, MA? It is about 25 miles from the center of Boston (I assume "30" meant "approximately 30", not "30 or less"), an urban area (more than just a suburb of Boston), and the hub of a bus system and terminus of a Boston commuter rail line. A state university there probably also helps. Time to Logan Airport is a bit high; if low airport time is more important than not being too close to the city center, Burlington, MA (with I-95/MA 128) works. If there isn't space in Lowell, an adjacent town could work.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Takumi

The east side of Richmond (Prince George/east Chesterfield/east Henrico) could work. I-295 provides access to the airport, the GRTC/PAT bus lines could be expanded to reach it, and there's already a presence in the area with the large Chester warehouse.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

english si

Quote from: Bruce on September 07, 2017, 06:22:45 PMGiven that this is a second headquarters in the same region, there will be some teams needing frequent face-to-face meetings.
This is far more the case when a global team is split up geographically, rather than between different teams that happen to be in different parts of the same continent. Amazon is fine with people having to take two planes to have a face-to-face with their direct supervisor, so I reckon 'direct flights to Seattle' is below 'has some kick ass local craft breweries' in Amazon's concerns when it comes to a location for HQ2.

brad2971

Quote from: Bruce on September 07, 2017, 05:45:59 PM
From The Washington Post:

Amazon is seeking a home for its HQ2, a $5 billion second headquarters somewhere in North America
September 7, 2017

Amazon.com is scouting North American cities for a second company headquarters, where it plans to hire as many as 50,000 full-time workers, the tech giant announced Thursday.

The Seattle-based company says it plans to invest $5 billion in construction and operation of the new location, which it is calling Amazon HQ2.

More details here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/?node=17044620011

In choosing the location for HQ2, Amazon has a preference for:

• Metropolitan areas with more than one million people
  • A stable and business-friendly environment
  • Urban or suburban locations with the potential to attract and retain strong technical talent
    Communities that think big and creatively when considering locations and real estate options

HQ2 could be, but does not have to be:

• An urban or downtown campus
  • A similar layout to Amazon’s Seattle campus
  • A development-prepped site. We want to encourage states and communities to think creatively for viable real estate options, while not negatively affecting our preferred timeline.

Amazon HQ2 will be a complete headquarters for Amazon – not a satellite office. Amazon expects to hire new teams and executives in HQ2, and will also let existing senior leaders across the company decide whether to locate their teams in HQ1, HQ2 or both. The company expects that employees who are currently working in HQ1 can choose to continue working there, or they could have an opportunity to move if they would prefer to be located in HQ2.

So...where should Amazon build their second headquarters? Keep in mind that it needs to be accessible from Seattle via direct flights, so a good airport is necessary.

If they're looking for N. America for HQ2, I can easily recommend Denver. There is a stop on the commuter rail from Union Station to DIA (61st and Pena) that has readily available land for at least the first stage of a HQ2 campus. Panasonic already has one part of this site for its solar panel business.

nexus73

My first thought for a location was DFW.  Might as well be out of the Snow Belt, not bombarded by hurricanes and have lots of ways to effect transport.  Maybe Vegas too?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kalvado

Quote from: english si on September 07, 2017, 08:01:11 PM
Quote from: Bruce on September 07, 2017, 06:22:45 PMGiven that this is a second headquarters in the same region, there will be some teams needing frequent face-to-face meetings.
This is far more the case when a global team is split up geographically, rather than between different teams that happen to be in different parts of the same continent. Amazon is fine with people having to take two planes to have a face-to-face with their direct supervisor, so I reckon 'direct flights to Seattle' is below 'has some kick ass local craft breweries' in Amazon's concerns when it comes to a location for HQ2.
Seattle is a hub for Alaska airlines (115 destinations, more than 90 within continental US) and a focus city for Delta (about 30, if I got it correct).
If Amazon choose an urban area within US top 20, direct flight is readily available - or will become available  within few weeks after formal announcement. 

vdeane

Quote from: 1 on September 07, 2017, 06:25:17 PM
My first thought was to make it international, since it was proposed for North America, not just the United States. Unfortunately, all areas along the border are either too close to the first location, not urban enough, or in the Rust Belt.
I'm pretty sure Toronto isn't close to Seattle, is urban, and is not in the Rust Belt.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

JJBers

And Windsor Locks is the best choice for Connecticut, not only is there a Amazon facility in the state, there's able land, and CT 20 and I-91 are bordering the area. There's also a Amtrak stop (and a upcoming commuter rail stop), they could also build better connections to Hartford, and Springfield.
Also Hartford and Springfield area is in the ballpark of 2 million people.
Here's a pic
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Jmiles32

Quote from: Takumi on September 07, 2017, 06:50:41 PM
The east side of Richmond (Prince George/east Chesterfield/east Henrico) could work. I-295 provides access to the airport, the GRTC/PAT bus lines could be expanded to reach it, and there's already a presence in the area with the large Chester warehouse.
^ Agreed. However sticking near the Richmond Area,  I would like to nominate Caroline County, Virginia as a possibility. I know, I know it may seem crazy at first but just think about it:
Caroline County is located on Interstate 95 around 30 miles north of Richmond, 20 miles south of Fredricksburg, and most importantly 70 miles south of Wahington D.C, the capital of the economic engine of the world, yet far enough away to avoid all the infamous D.C traffic and possibly even create a reverse commute. Caroline County is also right smack in the middle of Virginia's "Urban Crescent" which is home to about 65% of the state's population, so finding potential employees shouldn't be a problem. Finally, Caroline County which is currently largely rural has more than enough open land to support such a large facility. 

Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

AlexandriaVA

Lol at Caroline county..nobody would move there. If va, then somewhere on silver line (probably Tyson's)

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on September 07, 2017, 09:44:18 PM
Quote from: 1 on September 07, 2017, 06:25:17 PM
I'm pretty sure Toronto isn't close to Seattle, is urban, and is not in the Rust Belt.

I must have misspoken. I meant a location that actually crossed the border, part United States and part Canada.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

noelbotevera

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 07, 2017, 10:45:11 PM
Apparently Dan Gilbert is trying to push Detroit:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/dan-gilbert-confirms-apos-trying-011540788.html
If Detroit does succeed, then that'll make people wake up and see that Detroit is making its return.

My prediction is that they'll pick Philadelphia. There are flights from SeaTac to PHL, and building an HQ there would give them a presence on the East Coast. The SEPTA Regional Rail provides the mass transit needed, and there's still a bit of space along roads like the Blue Route, although it's mostly residential area.

I haven't been to Philadelphia that often, so I might be wrong.

Jmiles32

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on September 07, 2017, 10:22:41 PM
Lol at Caroline county..nobody would move there. If va, then somewhere on silver line (probably Tyson's)

You'd be surprised. Caroline Country is pretty much the only rural area left in between Richmond and Washington DC and is growing quickly. Wouldn't be surprised if say 50 years from now, theres continuous suburban development along the whole 110 miles from D.C to Richmond.

Also to clarify, I was thinking the 2nd Amazon HQ would kinda be more or less similar to giant Capital One Campus off VA-288 in Goochland(in a rural area but close enough to the city to attract possible commuters).
However in the end I get this is a long shot and it is way more likely that if Amazon does pick VA it'd be in Tyson's no doubt. Just be prepared for the nightmare traffic that'll come along with it.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Bruce

One key detail that I'm not seeing here: Amazon would prefer an urban location. Downtown or inner ring neighborhood where they can put 40-story office towers like they are doing in Seattle.

Frankly, if I was an Amazon employee, I would not want to commute out to a suburban office. Otherwise, I would be working for the many, many tech companies that already have suburban campuses.

sparker

I wouldn't be surprised to see them somewhere in or near NC's "Research Triangle" -- it's got a lot of corridors heading in several directions (road & rail) if they wish to append a warehousing operation along with the administrative, sales, and communication aspects of such an operation.  Also, it's an academic hub as well -- access to research as well as potential hires.  IMO it'd be a safe bet that this area is already on Amazon's radar -- and could well make the "finals" re site selection.

rantanamo

There are some incredible opportunities in Dallas and Irving for them that fit the requirements perfectly including rail stations(possibly including high speed) and new freeway infrastructure.   They already have a large AWS and logistics presence in DFW.  The region is already talking about throwing huge $$ at them and seems to have a good relationship.  Hard to know what they really prefer though, but there's a great opportunity to mold the area and Dallas would give them what they want if they want a large population and infrastructure but would like to influence the city the way AT&T and Toyota have been rather than rely on existing institutions. 

jakeroot

Maybe the DC area? DC itself is limited due to building height restrictions, but the surrounding municipalities could easily fit the requirements.

- Extremely good transit access (HSR and metro)
- Two airports that collectively serve most places that Amazon has interest in
- Prepped for development (they don't need to improve the infrastructure to accommodate Amazon)
- Well-educated populace in the area
- Access to DC for lobbying purposes? :-D

Rosslyn or Arlington, maybe. Perhaps even Bethesda or Silver Spring.

Ultimately, I think they'll end up somewhere obvious, like Dallas or Chicago.

english si

Quote from: kalvado on September 07, 2017, 09:09:46 PMSeattle is a hub for Alaska airlines (115 destinations, more than 90 within continental US) and a focus city for Delta (about 30, if I got it correct).
If Amazon choose an urban area within US top 20, direct flight is readily available - or will become available  within few weeks after formal announcement.
Oh, for sure - I even said as much in the post that Bruce took issue with. Direct flights is somewhat a given due to the other criteria, but there isn't a criteria for direct flights, and I don't think Amazon are that fussed if there wasn't.

jeffandnicole

There's really no area in the country bombarded by hurricanes or snowstorms.  If there's frequent snow, the area knows how to handle it.  Hurricanes are actually very rare in any one place that they hit.  Not many people thought of Houston as an area that would be overcome by a hurricane, and New York is still recovering from Hurricane Sandy.  If an area that doesn't get much snow actually gets a snowstorm (think, Dallas or the Carolinas), then it's a potentially crippling storm that close them down for several days.  So you can remove weather from the equation, because they're either common systems or unique systems in any area that gets them.

Then again, it's Amazon.  I think their employees will be able to work from home...or wherever they are.

PHLBOS

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 07, 2017, 11:03:45 PMMy prediction is that they'll pick Philadelphia. There are flights from SeaTac to PHL, and building an HQ there would give them a presence on the East Coast. The SEPTA Regional Rail provides the mass transit needed, and there's still a bit of space along roads like the Blue Route, although it's mostly residential area.

I haven't been to Philadelphia that often, so I might be wrong.
The Philly news stations have mentioned that Philly officials (the mayor along with the head of the Chamber of Commerce) are indeed trying to entice Amazon with incentives to set up shop there.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.