News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Evolution Of State DOTs

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, September 11, 2017, 11:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

The US is always under going change in some way. I want to disscuss the evolution of the term Department Of Transportion. To clear the confusion, take AHTD for example, which turned into ARDOT. What will be the evolution of the term Dept Of Transportation, Dept Of Wheels, Dept. Of Moving Wheels? Any idea what would be next in line to broaden the spectrum in which our state DOTs are involved in?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Beltway

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on September 11, 2017, 11:13:02 AM
The US is always under going change in some way. I want to disscuss the evolution of the term Department Of Transportion. To clear the confusion, take AHTD for example, which turned into ARDOT. What will be the evolution of the term Dept Of Transportation, Dept Of Wheels, Dept. Of Moving Wheels? Any idea what would be next in line to broaden the spectrum in which our state DOTs are involved in?

Beginning around 1970, many state highway departments started also getting involved in mass transit, railroads and airports.  Some administered these directly and others did not, but they at least provided funding mechanisms for state and federal financial support for other modes of transportation.

Therefore many modified their names to Department of Transportation.  That name at least covers all forms of transportation, so those names probably will not change.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Beltway on September 11, 2017, 12:17:24 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on September 11, 2017, 11:13:02 AM

Beginning around 1970, many state highway departments started also getting involved in mass transit, railroads and airports.  Some administered these directly and others did not, but they at least provided funding mechanisms for state and federal financial support for other modes of transportation.

Therefore many modified their names to Department of Transportation.  That name at least covers all forms of transportation, so those names probably will not change.
Is there any other aspect that would likely change in the near future? Maybe not the term, but there is no perfect process within such an organization, I feel there is more to come from our state DOTs, in some fashion.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

PHLBOS

Massachusetts went from the Mass DPW (Department of Public Works) to MassHighway sometime during the early 1990s then changed to MassDOT in 2009.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 11, 2017, 01:42:58 PM
Massachusetts went from the Mass DPW (Department of Public Works) to MassHighway sometime during the early 1990s then changed to MassDOT in 2009.
The change from MassDPW to MassHighway happened in the early days of Commissioner Jim Kerasiotes' reign.  Story goes is that he demanded the name change - and the repainting of maintenance trucks to off-chartruse - to stop people telling "What's orange and sleeps six" jokes (answer - a DPW truck).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jakeroot

WSDOT had several forerunners. The Washington State Highway Board and the Washington State Highways Department (two separate agencies) were first in line (1905). The Highways Department joined the State Department of Public Works in the early 20s, and the State Highway Board became the Washington Highway Committee. A couple years later, the Highways Department separated from the DPW. In the late 20s, the Highways Department and the Highway Committee merged (under the guise of the Highway Department). In 1964, the Highway Department became WSDOT. In 1977, the Washington State Transportation Committee was formed (similar to the earlier boards) to help guide WSDOT.

In the future, I suspect that government-type names ("Department of Transportation") will become friendlier names like (in the case of London) "Transport for ....". Vancouver has Translink, which operates all aspects of transportation (roads, trains, buses) in the Vancouver area (the MOT still works on provincial routes). I think this is a friendlier name than an acronym.

Beltway

VDOT History Highlights

1906: The General Assembly establishes the first State Highway Commission.

1927: The Virginia Department of Highways is established as a state agency.

1974: The department's name is changed to the Virginia Department of Highways and Transportation (VDH&T), adding rail and public transportation to its jurisdiction.

1986: A special session of the General Assembly expands revenue sources for transportation, including a new emphasis on airports and seaports. Legislators also expand the state transportation board, the  Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) from 12 to 15 members and rename the agency the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT).

1992: The General Assembly elevates VDOT's rail and public transportation division to department level, reporting directly to the secretary of transportation.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.