News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Why does Bridge of the Gods not connect to I-84?

Started by texaskdog, September 12, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

We just visited and my wife happened to see the exit sign to US 30 but it comes about a block from connecting.  You have to make a long loop to get onto the bridge.  Why was it never connected?

Alps

And just how much of Cascade Locks were you intending to destroy? Or were you going to eliminate the toll for them? Tell us how you would connect it, and if you don't have an answer, then maybe that's why.

adventurernumber1

Though I've never been there myself, I think the current set-up is fine. In fact, I'd say the loop gives a really neat build-up to the already-mesmerizing bridge - you make a big curve in the midst of many pretty trees, and then you're there, at the sight.

That really is a beautiful bridge, and I think I've seen pictures of it a few times at the top of the aaroads.com website.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Bickendan

Bridge of the Gods needs not connect to I-84. Traffic and distance from the freeway to the bridge is a non-factor.

texaskdog

It comes a few feet from connecting already.  Look at the aeriel view.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bickendan

Quote from: texaskdog on September 12, 2017, 09:17:32 PM
It comes a few feet from connecting already.  Look at the aeriel view.

So? This is literally a non-issue for everyone here.
If you really want some justification as to why it doesn't directly connect to I-84, it gives US 30 something to do beyond just beyond being a Bus 84 loop.

sparker

The bridge is primarily a local server, and a nice little way for Gorge tourists to get from one side of the river to the other.  Period.  No need to connect it in any way that doesn't exist right now; it'll never be part of any arterial corridor.

froggie

There's also the little matter that I-84 is at a much higher grade than the Oregon-side bridge approach, so you'd either have to replace the entire bridge to raise its grade or do a good bit of blasting (through National Forest and State Park, so big Section 104(f) imapcts!) in order to have a more direct connection between the bridge and 84.  Doing such would also impact Cascade Locks' access to/from I-84 West.

As Bick mentioned, not really necessary.

texaskdog

thanks, that does make sense.

It's funny how many things we talk about like this in this forum and everyone has been treating me like an idiot for even asking.

Bruce

Quote from: texaskdog on September 13, 2017, 11:54:40 AM

It's funny how many things we talk about like this in this forum and everyone has been treating me like an idiot for even asking.

Maybe because we don't really like highways destroying protected lands around these parts...

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Bruce on September 13, 2017, 05:10:43 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on September 13, 2017, 11:54:40 AM

Maybe because we don't really like highways destroying protected lands around these parts...

Not OP, but I do think there was a bit of a dickish overreaction. There's a difference between "why was it never connected" and "why don't they connect it". This was a clear instance of the former, yet everyone reacted like it was the latter. I imagine it's mostly because this part of the Gorge is now on fire and Oregonians are a little on edge.

A non-dickish answer would be "it historically connected to US-30 when it was the only route through the Gorge; a direct connection to I-84 wasn't considered necessary when the freeway was built in the 1950s and '60s; and Cascade Locks likes the local traffic for economic reasons."
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

Alps

I came across a bit dickish, but my intent was - if you're asking why they didn't build it, do you see a viable way that they could have? If not, then that's why they didn't build it.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Alps on September 13, 2017, 08:15:14 PM
I came across a bit dickish, but my intent was - if you're asking why they didn't build it, do you see a viable way that they could have? If not, then that's why they didn't build it.

My response to that question would've been "ODOT could've designed I-84 to go under the bridge, then return to its current alignment" or "ODOT could've put in a depressed interchange at the BotG because the elevation difference really isn't that drastic." Both these options might've taken out a few more homes than the actual built alignment, for sure, but it isn't impossible to imagine.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

adventurernumber1

Just to clarify, there is not a hint of snarkiness or negative emotions in my particular post. I was simply stating how I think the current set-up is alright, and showing positive emotions about how much I even happen to like both the loop, and especially the bridge itself.  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

texaskdog

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on September 13, 2017, 08:38:30 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 13, 2017, 08:15:14 PM

My response to that question would've been "ODOT could've designed I-84 to go under the bridge, then return to its current alignment" or "ODOT could've put in a depressed interchange at the BotG because the elevation difference really isn't that drastic." Both these options might've taken out a few more homes than the actual built alignment, for sure, but it isn't impossible to imagine.

That was what I was thinking, usually they would have just connected it, especially back then before the road rebellions.  Generally bridge-over-major-river connects to interstate, especially when they almost touch.

texaskdog

We are just as passionate about our trees as our roads!

I was waiting for FritzOwl to come to my defense

hotdogPi

Quote from: texaskdog on September 15, 2017, 09:00:27 AM

This thread is not in Fictional, so he won't even see this.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: 1 on September 15, 2017, 09:02:33 AM

That's actually very true. An interesting fact, for those who do not know, is that 100% of FritzOwl's posts are in the Fictional Highways subforum. He has never posted anywhere else. See here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=statistics;u=2165

kkt

The Bridge of the Gods is a low-speed, low-traffic bridge with very little on the Washington side.  It's fine that it doesn't have a direction connection to I-84.

texaskdog

Quote from: 1 on September 15, 2017, 09:02:33 AM

HAHAHAHA

texaskdog

Quote from: kkt on September 15, 2017, 12:34:56 PM
The Bridge of the Gods is a low-speed, low-traffic bridge with very little on the Washington side.  It's fine that it doesn't have a direction connection to I-84.

that there is another good reason

Sub-Urbanite

It's mainly a local connector, for commerce between Cascade Locks and Stevenson and tourist traffic.

sp_redelectric

The Bridge of the Gods is owned by the Port of Cascade Locks, not ODOT/WSDOT.  Nor does it comprise a part of a through highway or act as a logical extension of such (such as the Hood River Bridge, which is owned by the Port of Hood River but acts as a de facto extension of Oregon 35 north to SR 14.)

One could ask why isn't the Lewis & Clark Bridge connected to Interstate 5 between Rainier and Longview. 

I also believe the current ramp configuration is far safer than a confined trumpet loop that would be required to connect I-84 directly to the bridge approach, and you would have an intersection located just north of the westbound on/off-ramps that would increase collisions (although that hasn't stopped ODOT in Hood River and The Dalles).

ysuindy

I went to look at Google Maps and the restaurant there is now Bridgeside instead of Char Burger.  My son and I ate lunch there in 2014 after a morning in the Gorge and on our way to Mount Hood.

New name for the same restaurant or new restaurant?

Remain disappointed we did not drive across the Bridge of The Gods.  We had evening plans in Portland and were just running out of time because I spent too much time in the Vista House...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.