News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Apple products presentation

Started by bing101, September 13, 2017, 10:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/mobile/index/article/id/107223

Yes the hype focused on the price of Iphone X and its new features. But also Apple Watch has an update plus apple TV has an update to take 4k.

roadman

Once again, we see another round of totally NEEDLESS upgrades and devices.  But all the cr-Apple lemmings will fall in line and discard their perfectly good phones so they can have the latest and greatest things.

And $1K for a smartphone?  Unless the phone will also cook breakfast for me after the alarm wakes me up, that is just insane.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman on September 13, 2017, 11:20:15 AM
Once again, we see another round of totally NEEDLESS upgrades and devices.

That's how businesses make money.

Do we really need upgraded anything?  Do we really need Pumpkin flavored anything?  No.  But it's well known people buy stuff that's different and upgraded.

hotdogPi

I bought the iPhone SE on the day that the iPhone 7 came out, thinking that prices of older phones would decrease on that day. Unfortunately, it still cost $350 (I was expecting under $200).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

formulanone

Quote from: roadman on September 13, 2017, 11:20:15 AM
But all the cr-Apple lemmings will fall in line and discard their perfectly good phones so they can have the latest and greatest things.

Well, the eventual decreased battery life and operating system updates sort of create that obsolescence, same as Android devices. That said, the phone is typically good for 3-4 years, and then application support dwindles. But the physical device becomes less useful as it "ages" (gets dropped again and again).

How many people buy the flagship model of a car? How many passengers buy first class airline tickets? Who buys the most expensive TV or audio equipment in the store? The answer is: just a small percentage...a comparative few are paying full price right up front. I think they just want to position one model further up the market; after all, mere middle-management mortals shouldn't tote phones that movie stars would desire!

A few thousand or so who want to be the first for development reasons, yes. The rest are paying for it through monthly bills; few people are paying full retail price for the phone, unless they lost or damaged it mid-contract.

That said...I have zero need for animated emojis, a potentially fragile all-glass case, and unlocking the phone with my face. They're just gimmicks, but the first example is just another digital item to sell in the App Store.

Wireless charging isn't a bad idea, but the induction charger still has to still plug into the wall, so it's just another thing to tote around. Mostly, it gives Apple the excuse to transition away from the current receptacle which gets copied by lesser-known imitators at a cheaper price. A small team of trypophobic design misfits with an aversion to holes cares too much about my phone...They're dropping function for form, and it's getting annoying.

I don't care about 4K TV and the Watch is at least trying to elevate itself in a place where the phone can be simple again. Apple is starting to see some diminishing returns...but they're obviously still too relevant and too big to dismiss.

bing101

I find it odd that it's cheaper to own an apple TV than it is to own an Iphone.

Umm note that $179 price for Apple TV than Iphone. That $1k price is interesting though. Even a mac mini from Apple costs less than an Iphonex.

I bet apple Mac Mini's and apple TV's will last longer than Iphones and Ipads though.

Chris

The price has been ridiculed on this side of the pond as well. Due to the higher sales taxes in Europe, prices are even higher over here.

The iPhone X 64 GB is priced at € 1159 ($ 1378) and the 256 GB version at € 1329 ($ 1580) in the Netherlands. $ 1580 for a phone... that's ridiculous.

People on Twitter compared it to the GDP per capita of developing countries, with the iPhone being more expensive than the annual GDP per capita in some nations such as Bangladesh.

bing101

Quote from: Chris on September 14, 2017, 09:58:14 AM
The price has been ridiculed on this side of the pond as well. Due to the higher sales taxes in Europe, prices are even higher over here.

The iPhone X 64 GB is priced at € 1159 ($ 1378) and the 256 GB version at € 1329 ($ 1580) in the Netherlands. $ 1580 for a phone... that's ridiculous.

People on Twitter compared it to the GDP per capita of developing countries, with the iPhone being more expensive than the annual GDP per capita in some nations such as Bangladesh.

Damn!

1995hoo

Quote from: bing101 on September 13, 2017, 01:00:21 PM
I find it odd that it's cheaper to own an apple TV than it is to own an Iphone.

Why? It's not an actual TV, after all. It's a black box, slightly bigger than a hockey puck, that connects wirelessly to your router and streams stuff to your TV, similar to other devices from other companies. We have an older-generation Apple TV someone gave us one Christmas. We don't use it all that often. One thing I do use it for is as a more modern version of a slide projector if we want to show visiting relatives digital photos–I use the Apple TV to pull them from my iPad to the TV. There are other devices, of course, but that one was free for us.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SectorZ

Still waiting for my 256 GB (or better) ipod touch...

jakeroot

Quote from: SectorZ on September 14, 2017, 07:19:31 PM

If you like the iPod Touch's interface, why not just get an iPhone? Worst case scenario, buy a used iPhone 7 with a 256 GB drive.

Just got me thinking. I honestly don't think I've seen an iPod Touch since high school.

hbelkins

I have an older iPod Touch that has only 64 GB of memory. I dread the day when my 160 GB iPod Classic craps out. Already its battery won't hold a charge for as long as it used to.

As for phones, I had been using an iPhone 4S until a few months ago. I was given an iPhone 5 that has a few issues, so I took the plunge and found a very good refurb 6 on eBay.

I don't even use a passcode on my phone, much less the fingerprint recognition, so facial recognition is not something I need.

I'm probably going to hold on to the 6 for as long as I can. My vehicle has an AUX port and no Bluetooth, so I need the headphone port on the phone whenever I want to play streaming audio in the car.

Quote from: jakeroot on September 14, 2017, 07:24:35 PM

If you like the iPod Touch's interface, why not just get an iPhone? Worst case scenario, buy a used iPhone 7 with a 256 GB drive.
Just got me thinking. I honestly don't think I've seen an iPod Touch since high school.

And pay a premium price for it vs. a wi-fi only device such as the iPod. An iPad Mini wi-fi only might be a better option.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

berberry

"...and it comes in two new colors - you can't, and afford it."

SectorZ

I am actually going to do just that in the coming weeks. Was waiting until the presentation in hope that the more obsolete iPhone 7 will start to cost less.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on September 15, 2017, 12:37:41 PM

And pay a premium price for it vs. a wi-fi only device such as the iPod. An iPad Mini wi-fi only might be a better option.

Hard to fit an iPad into your pocket.

Quote from: SectorZ on September 15, 2017, 02:27:41 PM

I am actually going to do just that in the coming weeks. Was waiting until the presentation in hope that the more obsolete iPhone 7 will start to cost less.

People will start selling their 7's in droves online. Definitely take advantage of that.

berberry

I think the best values in Apple smart devices right now are the ipad Air 2, the ipad mini 4 (which is my favorite smart device ever!), the iphone 6s and the iphone SE (which I use). I don't like the plus-size phones, which is just an issue of personal taste. So's my opposition to the iphone 6, because I hate those plastic strips even though it's a great phone.

I don't have any interest in the Pro line of ipads because if I need that much power I'd prefer to just use a desktop or laptop system. I used an ipad 4 for years, the second ipad to have a retina display. I replaced that with the ipad mini 4 and so glad I did! The smaller size suits me just fine, as the device is much lighter and easier to travel with. The image is slightly sharper than the ipad Air 2, at the same resolution. It also has the same anti-glare coating and the same vivid color that goes noticeably beyond what the original retina displays offered.

The original retina display has been brought back for the latest 2017 ipad, but if you're considering that then you REALLY should get your hands on an ipad mini 4 before you buy, and try using it for a few minutes. I think you might like it more. You can get a brand new mini 4 with 128 GB storage on Amazon right now for about $350.

I use a phone as a phone, and rely much more on my ipad for apps and games. The SE is perfect for me, and frankly if I hadn't wanted to pass my old 5s on to someone I care about who badly needed a good smartphone, I'd probably still be using it because it was fine for my needs.

Takumi

I'll likely take the opportunity to buy a cheaper 6s. I need my headphone jack.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.