News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Vermont

Started by Alex, January 29, 2009, 04:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: froggie on September 10, 2010, 12:41:14 PM
The on-again, off-again plan for a roundabout at "Malfunction Junction" (where VT 11/30 meets VT 7A in Manchester) is apparently back on again.  The town voted Tuesday to begin property acquisition, with the plan of beginning utility relocation later this fall and actual construction on the project next year.  As long as adjacent property owners don't appeal (one indicated in the Journal article that he might, though he "declined comment" when specifically asked), construction is expected to take place next year and the following, with completion expected in late 2012.

That's a very tight downtown area.  The only way I can see this working is to resurrect what looks like a former bridge where 30 would be able to tie straight into 30 again.  Of course, if you do that, you could just have a straight 4-way intersection with a traffic signal.  Having seen the volumes downtown and the constrained conditions, and considering the number of people who cross, a roundabout really won't help because people will back up at the yield sign.  At the very least, a signal allows crossing during the red phase.

froggie

To my knowledge, there is no former bridge where you think there might have been one...going back at least to 1859.  The current street alignments have existed at least that long (and likely longer).

The town did not want a signal.  Frankly, I don't blame them because even though a signal "allows crossing during the red phase", you'd basically have to interconnect two signals with long phases just to get it to work, which would cause lengthy queues for EVERYONE.

A roundabout may cause drivers to "back up at the yield sign", but that's not much different than what exists today...and when there is a gap, they can utilize it better than the existing configuration.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on September 11, 2010, 07:41:31 AM
To my knowledge, there is no former bridge where you think there might have been one...going back at least to 1859.  The current street alignments have existed at least that long (and likely longer).
The abutment of whatever it is dates to 1909.  Check my VT 11 page and see if you have any theories.  And I mean, this thing is perfectly, 90 degrees perpendicular to straight ahead from VT 30.  That's what gets me.
The town did not want a signal.  Frankly, I don't blame them because even though a signal "allows crossing during the red phase", you'd basically have to interconnect two signals with long phases just to get it to work, which would cause lengthy queues for EVERYONE.

A roundabout may cause drivers to "back up at the yield sign", but that's not much different than what exists today...and when there is a gap, they can utilize it better than the existing configuration.

It was idle wondering on my part.  I know the signal in Bennington doesn't work very well, although there you have US 7 and VT 9 with no bypass, and here at least you have US 7 on a freeway.  Still not sure a roundabout is the answer though, at least during tourist season.  Time will tell.

froggie

According to NBI, the current bridge was completed in 1912, so I doubt that abutment was meant for a separate bridge.  Probably was when the stream was channelized.  Or perhaps a temporary bridge while the current bridge was being built.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on September 11, 2010, 08:56:40 PM
According to NBI, the current bridge was completed in 1912, so I doubt that abutment was meant for a separate bridge.  Probably was when the stream was channelized.  Or perhaps a temporary bridge while the current bridge was being built.
I doubt they'd go through that much trouble for a temporary bridge, especially back then.  So I imagine you're right that it had to do with the channelization so that the 1912 bridge could be built.  Thanks, I'll edit my page and my understanding accordingly.

froggie

The Bennington Banner is reporting that Phase 2 of the Bennington Bypass may be finished by November.  This is the segment from the US 7/VT 279 interchange east and south to VT 9 on the east side of town.  The proposed Welcome Center (to be located within the 7/279 interchange), however, won't be completed by July as previously scheduled.

The article also notes that Phase 3 of the bypass, tying back into US 7 to the south, won't begin construction until 2016 at the earliest, and that's only if the Legislature appropriates money for the project next year.

Stephane Dumas

The municipal council of Burlington will plan to put bilingual signs French-English to attract tourists coming from the province of Quebec.
http://www.cjad.com/CJADLocalNews/entry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10270933

froggie

Resurrecting this thread (since there isn't a separate Manchester, VT thread).  Meaghan sent me a photo showing the new "Malfunction Junction" roundabout in Manchester open to traffic, albeit still under construction.  Her note is that it "doesn't look quite as malfunctiony", but that the mini-roundabout just to the north where VT 30 splits off towards Dorset is "so small the big trucks can't get around it."

froggie

Rode through the new Manchester roundabouts on Friday.  It appears that the traffic problem has now shifted from VT 11/30 to northbound VT 7A.

froggie

http://www.stowetoday.com/stowe_reporter/news/local_news/article_3ef001dc-50a7-11e0-a0d3-001cc4c03286.html

http://www.wcax.com/story/19009527/work-set-to-begin-on-bypass-around-vt-town

http://www.vpr.net/news_detail/95483/regional-report-morrisville-bypass-begins-construc/

http://www.wcax.com/story/19548911/morrisville-debates-the-benefits-of-a-new-bypass

While in Morrisville a few times over the past week, noticed some road construction off VT 100 on the south side of town, and did some digging.  The above articles highlight that construction of a Morrisville bypass for VT 100 through (and especially truck) traffic has begun.  The bypass will basically go along the west edge of the core part of town, about a block west of existing VT 100 through northern Morrisville, and is intended to remove truck traffic from downtown.  Following VT 100 through Morrisville today basically involves four 90-degree turns (not counting the turn at VT 15).  One of these turns, where VT 100 meets VT 15A, is a 4-way stop sign at a skewed intersection that is IMO the #1 bottleneck in town.  The bypass will completely eliminate these turns for through traffic.

This document from the Lamoille County Planning Commission is a traffic study for northern Morrisville and has a few maps of the planned bypass.  It notes that a roundabout will be built where the bypass meets VT 15.  Another roundabout already exists at the western VT 15/VT 100 junction.  I can't find it now, but I recall reading something last week that mentioned there would also be a traffic signal on the bypass where it met one of the access roads within Morrisville.

The planning document suggests the 3 existing signals on existing VT 100 (one of them at VT 15) would remain, and two more roundabouts would be added to existing VT 100, at Harrel St and a skewed "oval" at Stafford Ave/Northgate Ave.

I sent an E-mail to VTrans asking for a detailed layout and what route number changes would be implemented, but have not heard back yet.  It's possible (given language in the news articles) that existing VT 100 would remain and the bypass would be signed as an Alternate or Truck route.

froggie

Did some related digging and found a few items of interest.  The Draft 2013-16 STIP for Chittenden County and Burlington includes a 2014-15 project that would convert I-89 Exit 16 (US 2/7 in Colchester) into a diverging diamond (they call it a "double crossover diamond" in the STIP).

Meanwhile, the last page of the VTrans FY 2013 Roadway Program includes a couple of interesting future candidate projects:  expansion of I-89 Exit 13 (the I-89/I-189 interchange), and a new interchange on I-89 at VT 116 (just over a mile east of I-189).

froggie

Got an E-mail back from VTrans.  The bypass will become a rerouted VT 100, and the existing routing will be signed as "Historic VT 100".

NE2

Quote from: froggie on January 15, 2013, 07:57:19 PM
Got an E-mail back from VTrans.  The bypass will become a rerouted VT 100, and the existing routing will be signed as "Historic VT 100".

Bleh. Vermont elsewhere uses Historic as a 'pass-through' banner that doesn't affect the designation, e.g. VT 7A.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougtone/4148643258/
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

I see no reason why "Historic" VT 100 couldn't be either a) 100 Business (see Bennington) or b) dropped altogether.

yakra

Wait, Bennington? Business?
Do y'mean 100A, as compared to the VT7A that NE2 mentioned?
The only business route I know of in VT is US4Bus.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

shadyjay

There's Business US 2 in Montpelier too. 

Also there may be one in Burlington for US 7.  Haven't been that way in a while - winter I don't stray too far out of Washington County. 

vdeane

Burlington has Alt US 7, which exists southbound only.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: yakra on January 24, 2013, 07:51:03 PM
Wait, Bennington? Business?
Do y'mean 100A, as compared to the VT7A that NE2 mentioned?
The only business route I know of in VT is US4Bus.
Yeah, RUTLAND. It's like Bennington but my head is screwed up./

Alps

Hey, so, I recall seeing final plans for the VT 279/US 7 interchange months if not years ago, and now I can't find anything. This would be with the visitor center inside. Where should I have been looking? Thanks.

froggie

A couple recent articles out of the Burlington area:

http://www.miltonindependent.com/state-officials-support-exit-17/

A Milton article (though technically the location is just inside the Colchester town line) on proposed improvements to I-89/Exit 17 (where US 2 splits off US 7 to head towards Grand Isle).  Short term improvements ("Phase 1") basically consist of additional turn lanes, mostly on the east side of 89.  Longer-term improvements ("Phase 2") involve replacing the bridge over I-89 with a wider structure.  There's a project website I've seen on the Chittenden County MPO website, but can't find it at present.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20131119/NEWS02/311190019/Champlain-Parkway-Southern-Connector-inches-forward-in-Burlington

The Burlington Free Press version (WPTZ and WCAX also had articles as did an area blog) of a story from the other day where a prominent opponent of the Champlain Parkway project (a landowner near downtown in this case) drops his opposition to the project in return for concessions.  The concessions involved are a bit unclear, but what I was able to glean is that VTrans and the city will *NOT* explicitly sign the road as a route into downtown.

jcroyer80

Some additional news out of the Burlington area.  Governor Shumlin and Vtrans announced 34 new projects in Colchester, Essex, Essex Jct, and Williston that will take the place of the long planned/long faught/since cancelled Circ Highway.

http://www.vermontbiz.com/news/november/governor-shumlin-secretary-searles-applaud-circ-highway-alternative-plan

These projects do not include seperate regional/town projects already in the works (such as the Champlain Parkway).

froggie

I've posted my rendition of what I-89 in/around Burlington might become in the future in a Fictional Highways thread.  While most of it is based on official plans/proposals, there's enough of my own ideas to where I posted it under Fictional Highways instead of here.  That said, here's the graphic:

vdeane

I was wondering, what's with the closed area with the blue sign on VT 279?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

If you zoom in on the Goog it shows a "Bennington Welcome Center" there. Looks like it opened in October: http://www.benningtonbanner.com/localnews/ci_24519187/welcome-center-unveiled
Interesting way to use the redundant areas of the interchange. As far as I can tell, it's essentially a circle around the building with four approaches.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Dougtone

There is a welcome center that was being constructed within the interchange between US 7 and VT 279 in Bennington, hence the covered up blue sign.  My understanding is that the welcome center was opened sometime this past fall.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.