News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Springfield, MA Road Meet (November 13, 2010)

Started by Dougtone, September 26, 2010, 07:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

I usually wouldn't organize a meet soon after a meet I had just organized, but this meet has been on the drawing board for at least a few years now, and it's finally coming to fruition...

November 13, 2010 Road Meet
Springfield, Massachusetts

When:    Saturday, November 13, 2010 at 11:30am    
Where:    Piccadilly Pub ( http://www.piccadillypub.com/W_Springfield.html ), 1506 Riverdale St. (US 5), West Springfield, MA 01089
Agenda:    At Piccadilly Pub, we will meet, eat and greet. This will be followed by a roadgeeking tour of the greater Srpingfield area.

In the Springfield road meet tour, we will be touring such sights as the MA 57 freeway stub, I-391's end in Holyoke, I-291's end at the MassPike, the US 5 expressway in West Springfield, the CT 190 expressway in Enfield and more!

Map/Directions:    Piccadilly Pub's website kindly offers directions and a map through Google Maps in order to locate the restaurant, which can be found at http://www.piccadillypub.com/W_Springfield.html .

The best way to get to the restaurant from I-91 would be to take Exit 13A (US 5) and follow US 5 north to the Piccadilly Pub, which is next to a Super 8 motel. You will need to make a u-turn at the first traffic signal after passing the restaurant in order to get to the restaurant.

The best way to get to the restaurant from I-90 would be to take Exit 4 (I-91/US 5), go through the toll booths, and follow the ramps to US 5 south. Take US 5 south to the restaurant.

If you are interested in attending this meeting,
please email us at dougtone#gribblenation.net (please replace # with @ to send mail).
You will be placed on a mailing list to inform you of any updates and changes.
Please RSVP by Wednesday, November 10, 2010 so I can call in an accurate head count to the restaurant.

This meeting is open to all persons.

Ian

As I mentioned on Facebook, I may be able to attend this one, may be. I could stay at my aunts house in Albany, NY for a place to stay that weekend, or at my grandparents house in Wellesley, MA. I think Wellesley may be a bit farther of a drive from down here.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Dougtone

Also note the start time of 11:30am, due to the early sunset (supposed to be at 4:30pm on November 13th).

Dougtone

I would be open to arranging an activity for after the meet, such as dinner or bowling, for whoever is interested.  I also checked the schedule for the Springfield Falcons hockey team, and they are playing in Hartford that night.

Roadgeek Adam

Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

Making me want to come just a little more even though I've already seen it all...

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: AlpsROADS on September 29, 2010, 07:09:56 PM
Making me want to come just a little more even though I've already seen it all...

Never know, Doug could pull something interesting out of his Islanders hat ;)
Adam Seth Moss

hbelkins

Even though I plan to stay in the Hartford area Saturday night, I'll pass on the hockey game. And out of a sense of wanting to keep any high esteem that any of you may hold me in (don't laugh) intact, it would probably be wise for me to pass on any bowling trip as well, since I'd rather not embarrass myself so badly in front of friends.

H.B., who was the most sought-after teammate in his college bowling class because he had the highest handicap in the entire class...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: hbelkins on September 30, 2010, 01:20:52 AM
Even though I plan to stay in the Hartford area Saturday night, I'll pass on the hockey game. And out of a sense of wanting to keep any high esteem that any of you may hold me in (don't laugh) intact, it would probably be wise for me to pass on any bowling trip as well, since I'd rather not embarrass myself so badly in front of friends.

H.B., who was the most sought-after teammate in his college bowling class because he had the highest handicap in the entire class...

Could always watch ;)
Adam Seth Moss

Alps

HB you can be on my team (if I go) and sandbag me. (:

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

also known as "hustling"

purposely hold back early on to gain an advantage later
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Duke87

I should be able to go, but I will have to wait until the date gets closer before I can firmly commit to doing so.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

I was using sandbag to mean "weigh down" - as in, I'm in a bowling league so I can outbowl the casual observer, but if I pair up with someone at the other end of the spectrum, it would even things out.

Dougtone

Just wanted to post a reminder about the meet.  Something to keep in mind is that sunset in Springfield is around 4:30pm in the middle of November, but I anticipate that the tour will be finished before then.

Dougtone

Another reminder about the meet, which is next Saturday.  Now that you've (hopefully) exercised your right to vote, why not exercise your privilege to attend a road meet next weekend!

Also, a nice tip for those in attendance.  I'll advise that you fill up your gas tank in Massachusetts, since the gas around the Springfield area is much cheaper than in neighboring Connecticut.

yanksfan6129

hbelkins

I am preparing Kentucky trick-or-treat bags for everyone who attends. I still have a few previously made ones left over but will make up new ones so as to make sure everyone can have one.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dougtone

I haven't made time to write up a meet report yet.  Meanwhile, enjoy one of the meet attendee photos from Dan Vincent, one of the meet attendees.

http://www.dvincentphotography.com/People/Springfield-Road-Meet-2010/14642054_Y4Zfv#1089328960_oHLVr-X2-LB

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.