News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Morgantown, WV area meet, June 18

Started by froggie, June 11, 2011, 09:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Brian Powell (who from what I understand is not on AARoads) is hosting a meet in Morgantown, WV next Saturday, the 18th.  Key features on the tour will be the newly-opened WV 43, the Morgantown PRT system, the Fairmont Gateway Connector, and possibly some other items.  He has a Facebook event page set up.

If any of the DC/Baltimore-area folks are interested in carpooling, let me know.

hbelkins

Seems like "narrowcasting" is becoming the main way to announce these meets.

Creating a FB page and inviting people omits those people you fail to invite.

Announcing on AA Roads omits those folks who aren't here.

FB would probably be the least likely way I'd announce meet. The Yahoo groups and m.t.r. are probably still the best way to reach a wider audience.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dr Frankenstein

Sadly, I'll be unable to attend. School obligations.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on June 12, 2011, 01:03:11 AM

It also omits people, like me, who don't do Facebook.  I can't even access the FB event page, at least in this instance.

But I heard about the meet some time ago through other means.  Since I have a long-standing schedule conflict (a non-roads event in northeastern PA) the entire weekend, I'm a no-go.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

SP Cook

froggie

QuoteFB would probably be the least likely way I'd announce meet. The Yahoo groups and m.t.r. are probably still the best way to reach a wider audience.

I'd argue that MTR is out of the picture now, and that the AARoads forum is better than the Yahoo groups for reaching a wider audience.  Consider that the largest of the "highway" Yahoo groups, roadgeek, has 382 members.  AARoads has over 1,000.  But both dwarf the raw numbers that are on Facebook.

Dougtone

I prefer trying to announce any meets that I run over as many related venues as possible --- Facebook, AARoads, Yahoo Groups and MTR (although I'll support Froggie's argument about MTR being out of the picture now).  My guess is that people are most likely to check Facebook or e-mail (for those who subscribe to roads related Yahoo! Groups, there is the option of having messages e-mailed to you) on a regular basis.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on June 12, 2011, 01:03:11 AM

Announcing on AA Roads omits those folks who aren't here.

FB would probably be the least likely way I'd announce meet. The Yahoo groups and m.t.r. are probably still the best way to reach a wider audience.

Dunno. Nobody replied on MTR to my RSVP for the C-bus meet. Almost no replies on the Great Lakes Road Yahoo group to my roadmeet announcement either.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Back to Morgantown -- my attendance is starting to look a bit iffy now. Same possible issue that precluded my attendance at Baltimore last year, but (obviously) with a different pet. :-(

Laura

I would love to go to this, but I am in a wedding on Saturday (as a bridesmaid) so it is a no-go for me.

hbelkins

I'm definitely out now. But that's OK, since I already drove WV 273 back in the winter when I went to the SWPA meet, and WV 43 won't be open by this weekend. I will drive that next time I'm in the Morgantown area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.