News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Request for feedback: A Boston-based road meet for this year?

Started by Janko Dialnice, December 09, 2011, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janko Dialnice

Would any of you be interested in a repeat of the Boston meet of 2006, to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the opening of the Big Dig?
I also came across some rather old signage down that way, too, yesterday. I am sure that I could find enough material for a meet.

Duke87

I wasn't attending road meets yet in 2006, so I don't know what that one entailed, but I don't see why not. Easy day trip from New York.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

I need some counties in Massachusetts. Depending on my schedule, I'd be interested.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

brianreynolds

roadman

Depends on the date, but I am tenatively interested in the idea as well.

Quote from: Janko Dialnice on December 09, 2011, 02:20:20 PM

I also came across some rather old signage down that way, too, yesterday. I am sure that I could find enough material for a meet.

I presume you're referring to the button copy signing on the Southeast Expressway (I-93) that was installed in 1985, and is one of only two remaining sections of Interstate with button copy in Massachusetts (the I-90 extension between Weston and Boston is the other one).

MassDOT recently awarded a contract to update the signing on I-93 between Route 24 in Randolph and the I-90 interchange in Boston, so the summer of 2012 will probably be the last chance for folks to see the existing signs before they start being replaced.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Janko Dialnice

Quote from: roadman on December 16, 2011, 10:18:47 PM

I presume you're referring to the button copy signing on the Southeast Expressway (I-93) that was installed in 1985, and is one of only two remaining sections of Interstate with button copy in Massachusetts (the I-90 extension between Weston and Boston is the other one).

Thanks for this info, Roadman. In addition, I was thinking of the pull-through sign on I-93 North at Exit 29 (MA 28/MA 38 in Somerville). I usually go through there at night, and remember seeing only a shiny I-93 shield and a few reflectors. After passing through there last Sunday afternoon, I got to see the underlying old button-copy in full daylight.

MassDOT recently awarded a contract to update the signing on I-93 between Route 24 in Randolph and the I-90 interchange in Boston, so the summer of 2012 will probably be the last chance for folks to see the existing signs before they start being replaced.

Between our winter weather and my work schedule, any Boston meet would be in the early summer, anyway. It's just a matter of avoiding conflicts with the holidays, and other road meets, in order to maximize attendance. Hopefully I can schedule it in before this precious signage disappears.

Janko Dialnice

RoadMan,

Sorry for not getting to ask this sooner, but I was logged in from work and didn't have much time. You have peaked my interest in these old button-copy signs, especially the ones along I-93. Where are they, exactly (direction, mileposts, exit numbers)? I definitely need to check this out.

Last night, I went southbound as far as Exit 18 (Mass. Ave/Andrew Square), and the signage there appeared to be very new. In fact, the exit tabs had borders around them, whereas on other Mass. signs, they seem to be part of the sign body.

agentsteel53

really?  there's no button copy on I-90 out west?  I remember there being some Conn-style outline shields near Chicopee, even.  and what about the state-named I-90 shields on the green signs on I-291?

I'm quite sure a lot of the side streets still have button copy here and there, like the MA-16 interchange with I-90; that had some non-reflective-background 1970s or 1980s button copy, complete with rectangular shields.  Dunno if that counts as it is not on the interstate itself, but I'd be damn surprised if those got replaced.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

akotchi

I would love to.  Any chance to get back to Boston is welcome.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 19, 2011, 01:17:56 PM
really?  there's no button copy on I-90 out west?  I remember there being some Conn-style outline shields near Chicopee, even.  and what about the state-named I-90 shields on the green signs on I-291?

I'm quite sure a lot of the side streets still have button copy here and there, like the MA-16 interchange with I-90; that had some non-reflective-background 1970s or 1980s button copy, complete with rectangular shields.  Dunno if that counts as it is not on the interstate itself, but I'd be damn surprised if those got replaced.
All the I-90 button copy is gone, even your Conn-style shield. The I-291 signs have been replaced. MA 33 still has button copy, and you have the button copy at Exits 16, 17, 18-20, and 22 - some of which is still even on I-90. So I'd really count it as three runs total. I-93 south of Boston, I-90 inside 128, and MA 33. I can answer to specific other signs, like the one on MA 138 NB at 79 (still there) or the I-195/495/MA 25 area (all gone).

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on December 19, 2011, 11:19:10 PM

All the I-90 button copy is gone, even your Conn-style shield. The I-291 signs have been replaced. MA 33 still has button copy, and you have the button copy at Exits 16, 17, 18-20, and 22 - some of which is still even on I-90. So I'd really count it as three runs total. I-93 south of Boston, I-90 inside 128, and MA 33. I can answer to specific other signs, like the one on MA 138 NB at 79 (still there) or the I-195/495/MA 25 area (all gone).

what about MA-2?  especially in the "Arlmont" and MA-60 areas?

jake@aaroads.com

roadman

Quote from: Janko Dialnice on December 17, 2011, 10:22:35 AM

Thanks for this info, Roadman. In addition, I was thinking of the pull-through sign on I-93 North at Exit 29 (MA 28/MA 38 in Somerville). I usually go through there at night, and remember seeing only a shiny I-93 shield and a few reflectors. After passing through there last Sunday afternoon, I got to see the underlying old button-copy in full daylight.

That sign will likely be gone by next summer.  Now that the Medford "Fast 14" bridge replacement has been completed, MassDOT's contractor has resumed work replacing the signs and structures on I-93 between the "lower deck" in Somerville and Route 129 in Wilmington.  A similar project is underway to replace all the signs on I-93 between Concord Street in Wilmington and the NH state line.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 20, 2011, 11:30:25 AM

what about MA-2?  especially in the "Arlmont" and MA-60 areas?

All that signing was removed as part of the recently completed Route 2 Arlington to Lincoln sign replacement project.

Post Merge: December 28, 2011, 05:15:26 PM

Quote from: Janko Dialnice on December 18, 2011, 07:49:30 AM
RoadMan,

Sorry for not getting to ask this sooner, but I was logged in from work and didn't have much time. You have peaked my interest in these old button-copy signs, especially the ones along I-93. Where are they, exactly (direction, mileposts, exit numbers)? I definitely need to check this out.

Last night, I went southbound as far as Exit 18 (Mass. Ave/Andrew Square), and the signage there appeared to be very new. In fact, the exit tabs had borders around them, whereas on other Mass. signs, they seem to be part of the sign body.

The remaining I-93 button copy signs are located between the I-93/MA3 interchange in Braintree (Exit 7) and the Columbia Road interchange (Exit 15).

The signing southbound approaching Mass Ave was installed as part of the Big Dig work.  Since the MUTCD started requiring 30 inch high exit tabs, MassDOT has gone to full exit tabs with separate borders on their newer guide signs.  This is to facilitate easier fabrication and field assembly of signs than was possible with the older "integral tab" design, where the numeral actually overlapped onto the main sign panel.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Janko Dialnice

Thanks for the information, RoadMan.

The big question now, though, is, will what little existing button-copy signage still be available in the summer?

roadman

Quote from: Janko Dialnice on December 20, 2011, 09:24:56 PM
Thanks for the information, RoadMan.

The big question now, though, is, will what little existing button-copy signage still be available in the summer?

The button copy signs on I-93 from Route 3 in Braintree to Columbia Road in Boston, as well as the mainline button copy signs on I-90 (MassPike Extension) between Weston and Boston, should still be in place this summer.

However, the button-copy signs on the ramps and secondary roads within the I-90 Newton Centre and Newton Corner interchanges (some of which date from the opening of the Extension in 1964) are in the process of being replaced, and may be gone by early summer 2012.

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadman on January 03, 2012, 04:51:55 PM

However, the button-copy signs on the ramps and secondary roads within the I-90 Newton Centre and Newton Corner interchanges (some of which date from the opening of the Extension in 1964) are in the process of being replaced, and may be gone by early summer 2012.

rats.  the old green signs with the rectangular 16 shields are quite rare.

jake@aaroads.com

PHLBOS

Quote from: hbelkins on December 09, 2011, 09:42:18 PM
I need some counties in Massachusetts. Depending on my schedule, I'd be interested.
Likewise.  Since I have North Shore roots; I'd be willing to head up from Philly.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.