News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Officail Announcement Memphis Road Meet April 28!

Started by jpi, January 20, 2012, 05:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: rawmustard on February 16, 2012, 08:35:18 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on February 16, 2012, 07:35:26 AM
If there is a meet and greet the night before I may be tempted to come the day before and get a motel room. Otherwise, I will probably drive in the day of the meet.

I know if I come, I'll be in the night before. It's not unusual for some of us who are in town for a meet the night before to have an impromptu gathering with dinner and drinks.

I'll be in Friday night if I go. Then, maybe spend a couple hours Sunday wandering around before heading home
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jpi

I think I posted this on another thread, I strongly suggest booking a room at the Microtel in Cordova, right by where we are haveing the meet, I got in touch with the motel and got my reservation changed to Friday night and Saturday night 4/27 and 4/28 so if anyone does get in town Friday night let me know. Steph and I will get in town that evening after she gets off work and its about 3 hours from Lebanon, TN (exit 238) to Memphis\ Cordova
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US71

Quote from: jpi on February 16, 2012, 10:20:40 PM
I think I posted this on another thread, I strongly suggest booking a room at the Microtel in Cordova, right by where we are haveing the meet, I got in touch with the motel and got my reservation changed to Friday night and Saturday night 4/27 and 4/28 so if anyone does get in town Friday night let me know. Steph and I will get in town that evening after she gets off work and its about 3 hours from Lebanon, TN (exit 238) to Memphis\ Cordova

Looks like rooms are running $47-$50. I'll probably set something up next week

hbelkins

If I am able to make it, it's doubtful I will spend either night in Memphis. I'd like to be able to stay in the Clarksville/Ft. Campbell/Hopkinsville on Friday night (however, it's a four-hour drive from there to Memphis) and then immediately after the meet on Saturday, I'd head north and stay somewhere in Paducah or elsewhere in western Kentucky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Quote from: hbelkins on February 16, 2012, 11:16:40 PM
If I am able to make it, it's doubtful I will spend either night in Memphis. I'd like to be able to stay in the Clarksville/Ft. Campbell/Hopkinsville on Friday night (however, it's a four-hour drive from there to Memphis) and then immediately after the meet on Saturday, I'd head north and stay somewhere in Paducah or elsewhere in western Kentucky.
HB- if you can get down to Dickson from Clarksville\ Ft Campbell and get a room there, you would be about 2 hours out from the meet location, unless you had another option in mind. Dickson is only 45 minutes south of Clarksville taking state route 48 south.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

Quote from: jpi on February 17, 2012, 12:26:27 AM
HB- if you can get down to Dickson from Clarksville\ Ft Campbell and get a room there, you would be about 2 hours out from the meet location, unless you had another option in mind. Dickson is only 45 minutes south of Clarksville taking state route 48 south.

I was looking to take US 79 and US 70A out of Clarksville, after checking out the Natcher and Pennyrile extensions on the way down.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Quote from: hbelkins on February 17, 2012, 11:36:30 AM
Quote from: jpi on February 17, 2012, 12:26:27 AM
I was looking to take US 79 and US 70A out of Clarksville, after checking out the Natcher and Pennyrile extensions on the way down.

I see, US 79 is a good road, I traveled that back in 06 when I was getting alot of the northwest TN counties I needed.
Start your text after the LAST /quote tag.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

I talked to Sam Scholtens one evening last week, and there's a decent possibility that the two of us might go together to the Memphis meet. I'm really excited about this possibility. I'd get to travel through three new states (Missouri, Arkansas, and Mississippi) and Sam would get to travel through four new ones (those three plus Tennessee). Granted, we wouldn't be spending much time in Missouri, Arkansas, and Mississippi, but hey - it's still three new states for me!

If he and I go, we'll probably end up driving down from Michigan on Friday - staying Friday and Saturday night in Memphis, and then making the trek home on Sunday.
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 21, 2012, 07:09:30 AM
I talked to Sam Scholtens one evening last week, and there's a decent possibility that the two of us might go together to the Memphis meet. I'm really excited about this possibility. I'd get to travel through three new states (Missouri, Arkansas, and Mississippi) and Sam would get to travel through four new ones (those three plus Tennessee). Granted, we wouldn't be spending much time in Missouri, Arkansas, and Mississippi, but hey - it's still three new states for me!

If he and I go, we'll probably end up driving down from Michigan on Friday - staying Friday and Saturday night in Memphis, and then making the trek home on Sunday.

Cool! My plan is for Steph and I to get into the Memphis area Friday evening after Steph gets off work (3:30pm CT) Just keep me posted and let me know via FB and here.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

Based on my trip schedule, I'm gonna have to say no. I'll barely make it to Tulsa by Friday night.

US71

Anyone having a hard time with hotels? I'm finding everything sold out.   :banghead:

I may have to beg for floor space from one of my SCA contacts.

rawmustard

Quote from: US71 on February 28, 2012, 07:22:53 PM
Anyone having a hard time with hotels? I'm finding everything sold out.   :banghead:

I'm still seeing many Wyndham brands within 50 miles available for both 4/27 and 4/28 (including the recommended Microtel). Although if I wind up driving myself, I may stay closer to Memphis Friday night while getting something two to three hours closer to home Saturday (this is definitely something for the other Michiganders who have expressed interest to consider).

US71

Quote from: rawmustard on February 29, 2012, 06:01:20 PM

I'm still seeing many Wyndham brands within 50 miles available for both 4/27 and 4/28 (including the recommended Microtel). Although if I wind up driving myself, I may stay closer to Memphis Friday night while getting something two to three hours closer to home Saturday (this is definitely something for the other Michiganders who have expressed interest to consider).

I found a Clarion about 5 miles down the road. I don't know why I was having a problem with Wyndham.

A.J. Bertin

Sam Scholtens and I are tentatively planning on driving down Friday and staying both Friday and Saturday nights in Memphis before doing the drive back home on Sunday. This will give us a chance to hang out and explore more of Memphis another night before driving home.

I guess I'd better start looking for a hotel room soon!
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 02, 2012, 12:59:27 PM

Sam Scholtens and I are tentatively planning on driving down Friday and staying both Friday and Saturday nights in Memphis before doing the drive back home on Sunday. This will give us a chance to hang out and explore more of Memphis another night before driving home.

I guess I'd better start looking for a hotel room soon!

Good to hear AJ! Steph and I are going to the Joliet road meet too so we will see you guys 2 weekends in a row!
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

I booked a room at a LaQuinta on the southeast side of Memphis. It's near the interchange of I-240 and U.S. 72/TN 57.
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Just a reminder we are now 1 month out from the meet!
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

bugo

If you can't make Memphis, I'm thinking about having a small Tulsa meet on the 27th and 28th.  It will be mostly a loop through Oklahoma, with some possible stops at the Glass Mountains and Little Sahara.  Time permitting, we might swing as far south as Lawton.  Let me know if you're interested.

jpi

Just wanted to send out a reminder the Memphis Road Meet is coming up this Saturday April 28.

We will meet at Huey's at 11:00pm for lunch and socializing. After wards our tour will focus on the future I-269 construction on the eastern side of Shelby County, TN and northern Mississippi. We travel east on I-40 to TN 385 (future I-269) and travel along this corridor south, mainly along TN 205 and view the construction taking place, there are several vantage points along the way for us to view the construction all the way into northern MS. After wards we can check out other road worthy places like the I-69 freeway near Tunica and the Crump BLVD interchange on i-55 which is slated for a major overhaul. Also there is Sam Cooper BLVD which was originally going to be I-40 through downtown Memphis. Besides roads there is allot of tourist stuff to do such as Beale St and of course Graceland and the Memphis waterfront.

This will also be a meet of firsts, first meet ever held in Memphis and the first meet I have hosted. Mark your calenders for Saturday 4/14! There is also plenty of lodging in this area and is close to one of the largest malls in west TN. If you all have any questions, comments or any other ideas to add please let me know. :-) I will also be sending out an event notification on face book The directions to Huy's is Exit 16 (TN 177 Germantown PKWY) go south on TN 177 a mile and a half, Hueys is on the right just before Dexter Rd.

Also that evening at 6:00PM the Memphis Red Birds will be hosting Omaha so if anyone wants to catch a base ball game just let me know I can look into getting tickets. And if anyone is coming in Friday evening Steph and I will be getting into town around 7 to 8pm as long as traffic coming out of Nashville is ok. Looking forward to another fun weekend of roads and socializing like this past weekend in Joliet! :-)

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home of the Barrel

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Grzrd

Great job of preparation for the meet!  I've got family obligations and won't make it.

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 11, 2012, 03:03:14 AM
Rumor has it that I-69 has been shortened again.  I was just talking to Chris Lawrence and he says that the signs that announce the Start/End of I-69 have been moved back to the Tunica/DeSoto County Line once again (the original place) from the previous location @ the old MS-304 intersection area.  Does anybody have picture proof of this?
(above quote from I-69 in MS thread)
Quote from: jpi on April 24, 2012, 09:41:41 PM
After wards we can check out other road worthy places like the I-69 freeway near Tunica

If the group and/or any of the individuals make it over to I-69, please solve the above mystery.  Have a great time!

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on April 25, 2012, 08:10:56 AM
Great job of preparation for the meet!  I've got family obligations and won't make it.

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 11, 2012, 03:03:14 AM
Rumor has it that I-69 has been shortened again.  I was just talking to Chris Lawrence and he says that the signs that announce the Start/End of I-69 have been moved back to the Tunica/DeSoto County Line once again (the original place) from the previous location @ the old MS-304 intersection area.  Does anybody have picture proof of this?
(above quote from I-69 in MS thread)
Quote from: jpi on April 24, 2012, 09:41:41 PM
After wards we can check out other road worthy places like the I-69 freeway near Tunica

If the group and/or any of the individuals make it over to I-69, please solve the above mystery.  Have a great time!

If the meet doesn't make it there, I'll try to look before I head home Sunday.

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on April 25, 2012, 12:08:55 PM
If the meet doesn't make it there, I'll try to look before I head home Sunday.

Thank you for your scholarly interest.  ;-)

jpi

We should be able to make it to I-69, its not that far from the I-269 right of way where there is some construction going on since the first leg of the tour will be the focus on I-269 construction in TN and MS
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Just got done the "rough draft" of our tour. Just got print out some maps and type up the directions but overall it looks good, found some good vantage points for the stub end of I-69 at I-55 and a drive along Overton Park AVE downtown along what would have been I-40.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

bugo

I'm doing an Oklahoma roadtrip with a fellow road guy on that date.  We're thinking about doing a Tulsa-Enid-Woodward-Altus-Lawton-Duncan-Ada-Henryetta-Okmulgee-Tulsa loop, time allowing.  Mostly two lane roads.  We'll be sure to get lots of pictures.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.