News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

St. Lawrence County, NY Road Meet - November 4, 2012

Started by vdeane, August 19, 2012, 11:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: deanej on September 08, 2012, 01:11:08 PM
I was wondering, is 11 AM a bit early for the meet?  I don't think I've ever seen one that early (aside from Steve's 8:30 morning session at Ottawa and maybe one that did the tour first then dinner), and it only took three and a half hours for cu2010 and I to scout everything out, so given that the route is a little bit shorter for the meet and stops I'm estimating that the tour would take four hours, which would end a bit early for a dinner post-meet activity.  Maybe 11:30?  Noon is probably pushing it given the November 3 date though.

No, I've been to meets that started at 11.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rawmustard

Quote from: deanej on September 08, 2012, 01:11:08 PM
I was wondering, is 11 AM a bit early for the meet?  I don't think I've ever seen one that early (aside from Steve's 8:30 morning session at Ottawa and maybe one that did the tour first then dinner), and it only took three and a half hours for cu2010 and I to scout everything out, so given that the route is a little bit shorter for the meet and stops I'm estimating that the tour would take four hours, which would end a bit early for a dinner post-meet activity.  Maybe 11:30?  Noon is probably pushing it given the November 3 date though.

Whenever I have hosted a meet (which both so far have been in autumn), I've aimed to start at 11 (or as close to when my venue opens as possible). It gives time for my group to settle in before other patrons arrive for noon college football kickoffs. If I allow two hours for dining, I'm left with about four hours of daylight, and I generally like to keep my tours to 2-2.5 hours. Of course, since you're farther east, your window of daylight is much shorter. I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with encroaching darkness.

vdeane

Well, the sunset calendars say 5:48, though I was guessing an hour for lunch rather than two.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: deanej on September 11, 2012, 05:25:31 PM
Well, the sunset calendars say 5:48, though I was guessing an hour for lunch rather than two.
2 hours for lunch is reasonable assuming the restaurant knows in advance to provide separate checks.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on September 11, 2012, 08:23:03 PM

2 hours for lunch is reasonable assuming the restaurant knows in advance to provide separate checks.

or the people attending know in advance to bring enough small bills to make change up to $20 or whatever is a reasonable per-head lunch amount.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 11, 2012, 08:28:37 PM

or the people attending know in advance to bring enough small bills to make change up to $20 or whatever is a reasonable per-head lunch amount.
this has never happened

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on September 11, 2012, 08:41:50 PM

this has never happened

Steve's referring to a specific instance that happened at the 2010 SEPA meet.

As for lunch, 2 hours is generally the standard. Gives time for eating and socializing (and map exchanges, if they occur) and then getting everyone sorted out into the tour vehicles.

agentsteel53

I didn't know there was a history to it.  I just know that as a customer, "everyone throw some cash in the middle" is a lot more efficient than separate checks.  and I have friends who are waiters/waitresses, and unanimously, they never relish having to do separate checks.

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on September 12, 2012, 11:24:54 PM

this has never happened

As for lunch, 2 hours is generally the standard. Gives time for eating and socializing (and map exchanges, if they occur) and then getting everyone sorted out into the tour vehicles.

It also happened at the Central NJ meet.

At the rate we're going this might turn out to be a one-car tour, though hopefully I'll be proven wrong on that one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

My attendance at both Birmingham and Richmond may now be in jeopardy. If that happens, I may try to attend this one as a consolation prize, unless someone schedules a meet elsewhere that would allow me to collect new counties. (I'd get no new counties on this trip unless I elected to detour via Long Island to pick up Suffolk and Nassau, NY).

Alps

Quote from: deanej on September 13, 2012, 02:20:37 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 12, 2012, 11:24:54 PM

this has never happened

It also happened at the Central NJ meet.

At the rate we're going this might turn out to be a one-car tour, though hopefully I'll be proven wrong on that one.
Not the end of the world. Ottawa I ended up as 5 people, so we all packed into one car. We had a great time.

vdeane

Never thought it was going to be big in the first place.  It's a little far from the interstates and late into the year to attract big crowds.  Haven't gotten anyone to fully commit yet, though it's still a month and a half away so I understand if people want/need to wait until the meet gets closer to do so (I've done the same thing).

cu2010

Still 50/50 myself, you know, work. Though it'd be kinda hard to do the tour without me since I, you know, essentially put the tour together. :pan:

In addition, after further research, one of the sights listed as "drive-by" really should become "stop, get out, and snap the cameras away"...

FWIW, I wouldn't be completely opposed to postponing until spring when there's less going on, and the weather's better...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: deanej on September 14, 2012, 11:28:55 AMHaven't gotten anyone to fully commit yet

As I said above, it's a day trip for me, so it doesn't require much planning. ;) Thus, I'm like 85% likely to participate.

Alps

It seems Doug is not going, which was going to be part of my strategy. I'll see if I can make it work or not.

Duke87

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 12, 2012, 11:43:25 PM
I didn't know there was a history to it.  I just know that as a customer, "everyone throw some cash in the middle" is a lot more efficient than separate checks.  and I have friends who are waiters/waitresses, and unanimously, they never relish having to do separate checks.

This is easy to do with a few people and is sometimes done for after-meet dinners. But it's difficult to get it to work out right when you have 20 people, especially since inevitably someone will not have cash and want to pay with credit.

There's also a social comfort aspect to it. "Everyone throw some cash in the middle" is great with friends, but inevitably at a large meet you have people who have never met before and so some people will want to do their own thing and not be comfortable paying as a group. Especially when you consider how many of us are on the spectrum or at least have a lot of individuality.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

agentsteel53

I would imagine this is a fairly basic social skill.

it's fine to be eccentric, but if you're notified reasonably in advance, and you say "I refuse to bring cash"... you're just being an ass.

and, honestly, if you cannot trust the people at your table to be reasonable in paying for a $20 dinner... you should probably seek better company.

jake@aaroads.com

AsphaltPlanet

^ Really?

If your friend really despises splitting up checques, she may have chosen the wrong line of work.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

vdeane

Quote from: cu2010 on September 14, 2012, 02:56:03 PM
Still 50/50 myself, you know, work. Though it'd be kinda hard to do the tour without me since I, you know, essentially put the tour together. :pan:
That's why I was taking notes on everything.
In addition, after further research, one of the sights listed as "drive-by" really should become "stop, get out, and snap the cameras away"...
Which one?  I have no problem with converting it, and I don't even know which one yet.

cu2010

The Yaleville bridge (the one off of the useless CR 48A)- built in 1892! Second-oldest bridge on the tour (even older than the closed Massena Center bridge), and the oldest "untouched" one (since the NY345 bridge, originally built in 1882, saw major refurbishment in 2008). There's a spot where we can easily pull off the road, park, get out, and take pictures.

Five of the bridges on the tour are more than 100 years old...so if you love old bridges, I strongly recommend doing whatever it takes to make the trip. :)
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

vdeane

Ah, that was the one that I marked "can park if want to - left south side".

Dougtone

Quote from: Steve on September 14, 2012, 07:13:12 PM
It seems Doug is not going, which was going to be part of my strategy. I'll see if I can make it work or not.

I wouldn't count myself completely out, but playing in an adult kickball league on Saturday afternoons this fall may affect and hinder my attendance to the St. Law meet.  It will really come down to whether or not I want to miss out on the game or not.

vdeane

I'm going to re-advertise this as I've just had someone PM me saying that they have to decide within the next week whether to take off for work or not on 11/3 and they were wondering how many have RSVPed.  I've also created a Facebook event page.

https://www.facebook.com/events/488485951184747/

cu2010

vdeane

10 day reminder for the meet.  If the weather forecast is a concern for anyone: I have good news: the weather is in!

I'm planning to print off tour directions/notes for everyone next Thursday or Friday, so RSVP to make sure I make enough!  I might also upload the PDF to the Northeast Roads Facebook group as well.

I'm considering adding the abandoned Raymondville bridge as a stop.  I've never seen it myself, but my understanding is that it's easier to find from River Rd. than NY 56 (and less of a hike).  It's not out of the way from the existing tour either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5orgDulWu78 (at 2:09)
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rg5z5y8rjj48&lvl=19.43&dir=6.31&sty=b&form=LMLTCC&style=o

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.