News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

St. Louis area road meet - Dec. 15, 2012 11 AM

Started by kharvey10, October 21, 2012, 11:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

UPDATE: The conflict **might** be rescheduled.  If so, consider me a 10% probability.  Yes, I calculated that. :P
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on October 26, 2012, 09:25:25 PM
The multi-day meets seem to be a thing of the past.

This is probably due more to exhaustion of things to show off more than anything else. You could probably have a 3-day Chicago or Southern CA meet and still not cover absolutely everything, but with most cities smaller than that, not so much. The Oklahoma City meet probably could have been done in a day; day 2 wasn't terribly full and the majority of it was an ad-libbed Route 66 trip.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 28, 2012, 07:37:39 AM

This is probably due more to exhaustion of things to show off more than anything else. You could probably have a 3-day Chicago or Southern CA meet and still not cover absolutely everything, but with most cities smaller than that, not so much. The Oklahoma City meet probably could have been done in a day; day 2 wasn't terribly full and the majority of it was an ad-libbed Route 66 trip.

I could have put together a heck of a multi-day Kentucky meet a few years ago. I had everything all planned out. There was a decided lack of interest in it, though, so I just let it go. I still fantasize about doing a 2 1/2 day meet, but I don't think all the ingredients will ever be in place again to do it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on November 28, 2012, 01:21:20 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 28, 2012, 07:37:39 AM

I could have put together a heck of a multi-day Kentucky meet a few years ago. I had everything all planned out. There was a decided lack of interest in it, though, so I just let it go. I still fantasize about doing a 2 1/2 day meet, but I don't think all the ingredients will ever be in place again to do it.
Heck, I'd love a multi-day KY meet, but getting time for it is another thing.

jpi

Would not be a problem with me for a multi day KY meet, BTW I am thinking of a middle TN regional road meet for later this spring.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

brianreynolds

Quote from: jpi on November 29, 2012, 11:01:10 PM
Would not be a problem with me for a multi day KY meet, BTW I am thinking of a middle TN regional road meet for later this spring.
I would make a good-faith effort to attend any meet hosted by H. B. or Jason. 

It is not clear to me why multi-date meets are a thing of the past. 

I missed out on Chicago, but I thought the Indy-multi was a gas.

As was the (first, last and only?) National meet in Pittsburgh.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

froggie

QuoteIt is not clear to me why multi-date meets are a thing of the past.

The time involved, especially for non-locals, and good ol' economics are two key factors.

Duke87

You can certainly put me down as interested for a Kentucky meet. Kentucky is a state I need to see more of than I already have (three counties adjacent to Ohio near Cincinnati).

Also worth pointing out about a multi-day meet is that there is by no means any requirement that all attendees be there all days.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I was thinking of offering a two-day option with the annual Ohio meet this year. The Ohio Historic Bridge Association's spring tour will be around Marietta (and points west) this spring (3rd Sunday in May). I'm sure some others could help me cobble together some sort of road tour for SE Ohio the Saturday before (assuming there is enough demand to put something like this together)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 10, 2012, 01:24:10 AM
I was thinking of offering a two-day option with the annual Ohio meet this year. The Ohio Historic Bridge Association's spring tour will be around Marietta (and points west) this spring (3rd Sunday in May). I'm sure some others could help me cobble together some sort of road tour for SE Ohio the Saturday before (assuming there is enough demand to put something like this together)

Depending on how SE (or SW, considering it's Marietta) you want to go. I could try my ready-to-go Tri-State (OH, WV, KY) meet on the Saturday prior.

US71

Very likely I won't make it: I have way too much to do here at home.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jpi

So far, aside from rain in the morning, tomorrow is looking pretty good the meet, supposed to be 60, got my car packed for the toy show on Sunday and will be on the road at the crack of dawn in the morning.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

okroads

I arrived in the St. Louis area this afternoon. Looking forward to seeing the other meet attendees tomorrow.

SSOWorld

Quote from: okroads on December 14, 2012, 06:49:06 PM
I arrived in the St. Louis area this afternoon. Looking forward to seeing the other meet attendees tomorrow.
Same - did an Interstate tour upon arrival after doing a zig-zag on the way down (getting I-72 west of Springfield and coming down the Ave of the Saints (dba US 61)
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Brandon

I'll be down there tomorrow..it's only a mere 3 to 3-1/2 hours by I-55 for me.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Hope everyone has a good time. I gave some serious second thoughts to coming, but my vacation time is running low due to various home maintenance issues this year (HVAC and plumbing). Ruled out getting up and making the seven-hour drive this morning.

okroads

Had a great time at the meet today. We covered the new IL 255 extension, the Chain of Rocks bridge, and saw the progress being made on the new I-70 Mississippi River bridge.

SSOWorld

MeetAttendees by ssoworld, on Flickr

Attendees - on the old Chain of Rocks Bridge (Now a footpath).  Scott Onson (SSOWorld) Brandon Gorte (Brandon) Kim Harvey (kharvey10), Eric Stuve (okroads), Jason Ilyes (jpi), Richie Kennedy (route56), Cody Goodman (codyg1985), and Gene VanDusseldorp.

Footnote: I now have every interstate in the St Louis Metro area clinched. :D
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Brandon

Sorry I'm a bit late with these.

We had a good lunch.  Thanks for suggesting the place, Kim.

Saw a few bridges at the Chain of Rocks.

Walked across another state line.

Had a nice group photo.  Scott already identified everyone, but we switched a few positions.  There will be a quiz later.

And saw a Great Lemon.

(New I-70 Bridge)

Did I mention the classic signal yet?

(Downtown Granite City)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on December 18, 2012, 09:36:27 PM

sad that they took a terrible souvenir design and blew it up, as opposed to an actual route marker. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

For a souvenir that's not bad. After all it's not in the state of Route.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.