News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Dubuque, Iowa and vicinity tri-state meet - 11:00 AM on May 4

Started by SSOWorld, January 14, 2013, 12:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

I intend on putting on a road meet in and around Dubuque, Iowa.

I created a Facebook group (open so any interested can join) at https://www.facebook.com/groups/373945326035222/.  I've started doing some prospecting around the area and though it will be a challenge, I will find some good stuff.  There are lots of crossings that we can look at along the river as well as points where crossings used to exist.  As far as dates are concerned, I haven't scheduled one yet, but I am aware of H.B.'s tri-state in Ashland KY, the possible NE Wisconsin meet and the Ohio meet's dates.

For now, I will be putting info both on the Facebook group and subsequent event and here (for the non-Facebook crowd) as I gather it.

The location we will be meeting at is at Shot Tower Inn on 4th and Locust Street.  From US 20 (either direction) turn north on Locust and follow that street (left at the Y intersection traffic lights) from 61/161/52 SB - turn right at the first light after the viaduct ends and then take another right at the next light.  then you're on Locust - follow that street.  From 61/151/52 NB, follow the US 20 "Locust Street" exit staight through the lights to the same Y mentioned for US 20.  The joint is on the right side of the street.  I'll be posting a Google Map of the location this week.  (4/14/2013)
Edited to put in date, time and place -sso
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

I spent a night in Dubuque a couple of years ago when I was on my way to the Marshalltown Lincoln Highway meet. Found it to be an interesting area. I'm sure there will be plenty of meet-worthy stuff in the region. Not sure I can commit to attending, even after a date is set, but it should be an enjoyable event.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SSOWorld

I added custom points and lines on Google Maps to approximate historic alignments and highlight present structures.  The map is unlisted at this time and can only be accessed through this topic or the Facebook group site.

http://goo.gl/maps/I8OpF

Historic alignments are approximate.

Thanks to:
John A. Weeks, III (http://www.johnweeks.com/river_mississippi/river_mississippi_17.html)
Jason Hancock (http://iowahighways.home.mchsi.com/highways/us151.html - US 151 page.
Jeff Morrison (http://iowahighwayends.net/maps/dbqmaps.gif - image of routing history)
Bridgehunter.com (James Baughn - founder) (http://bridgehunter.com/ia/dubuque/eagle-point/ - Eagle Point Bridge page)
Library of Congress - http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ia0114/ (Eagle Point Bridge page)
Christopher J. Bessert (http://wisconsinhighways.org/listings/WiscHwys150-159.html#US-151 Wisconsin Highways US 151 entry)
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

SSOWorld

Scheduling for May 4, 2013.  Details to be provided down the road after I sample a few lunch spots.  For those in the Facebook group, I've attached a PDF to the group library.  If you haven't joined the group and are interested, the group can be found here - request to join and I'll add you.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Duke87

I have never been to Iowa or Wisconsin. If I go to this, it's two new states for me.

If I go I would probably spend both Friday and Saturday nights in Rockford and drive the extra couple hours to Dubuque (how do you pronounce that, anyway? "Duh buuk"?) the morning of and evening after.

It's 14 hours from New York to Rockford. I can do this as a 3 day weekend!
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Brandon

Quote from: Duke87 on February 13, 2013, 10:55:15 PM
I have never been to Iowa or Wisconsin. If I go to this, it's two new states for me.

If I go I would probably spend both Friday and Saturday nights in Rockford and drive the extra couple hours to Dubuque (how do you pronounce that, anyway? "Duh buuk"?) the morning of and evening after.

Duhb-yewk.  It's French in spelling and pronunciation.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

mgk920

I'm a definite 'maybe'.  We'll see as the time approaches.  I remember spending many days off exploring the US 18/151 upgrades while they were being built in the 1990s and early 2000s.

:cool:

Mike

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on February 14, 2013, 07:09:02 AM

Not in the least. The French would pronounce it dübük, where that's the same as the German umlaut.

Brandon

Quote from: Steve on February 14, 2013, 06:43:19 PM
Quote from: Brandon on February 14, 2013, 07:09:02 AM

Not in the least. The French would pronounce it dübük, where that's the same as the German umlaut.

Named for Julien Dubuque, a French-Canadian settler in what is now Dubuque, Iowa.  He was the first European to settle in the area.  There's a lot of French names that follow older French spellings in the Midwest, before French spelling and pronunciation was uniform.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Duke87

So, the final softball schedule for this season was released today. I have a game the night of Friday the 3rd.

As such, as much as I'd like to, I can't be in Iowa on Saturday the 4th. Sorry folks...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

brianreynolds

I haven't been paying close attention to the board lately, so tonight is the first time I noticed the Dubuque meet.  This is not well-timed for my purposes.  I expect to be in Texas that weekend.  Linda and I are expecting our first grandchild, due in Houston on or about April 30th.  Nature will have the final say.

If I had the authority to reschedule these things, I would definitely be at this meet.  Yes, I enjoy roads and bridges and enthusiasts, but this area also offers some truly spectacular natural beauty. 

Dubuque is near the southern end of the "driftless" geology.  If you haven't yet visited, it is well worth the extra effort to get there.  I have been there thrice, spent a few days 20+ years ago, passed through twice in the last five years.

For those who go, budget extra time if you can.  I know you will enjoy your weekend.  I'm pretty sure I will be enjoying that weekend too.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

JREwing78

It's pretty close by, and I haven't explored Dubuque much. But I'll be finishing up a move then, so I doubt I'll have either time or energy to pull it off.

hbelkins

I won't be RSVP'ing "yes" on the Facebook page, but my intent is to attend this meet. I anticipate clinching all of the Illinois counties that I don't already have, and clinching US 67 and US 61 in Iowa on the way to Dubuque, and clinching US 52 in Illinois and Indiana on the way home.

Preliminary itinerary is to stay in the St. Louis area on Thursday night, in Dubuque on Friday night, probably somewhere around Dixon, Ill. on Saturday night and either the Cincinnati or Louisville area on Sunday night.

A.J. Bertin

I don't know who is planning on staying in Dubuque on Saturday night after the meet, but if you are, you might want to book your room soon. I just made a reservation for a room at the Days Inn close to downtown, but a couple other hotels I was looking at were already booked for that night. I don't know if there's some big event happening in Dubuque that evening, but I just wanted to let folks know that they should book their rooms soon if they plan on staying in Dubuque on Saturday night.

I look forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks!
-A.J. from Michigan

SSOWorld

I concur with A.J.

Hotels are filling up quick not only in Dubuque, but surrounding the area. (i checked Platteville and Galena) I use KAYAK to check them and if the entry says "CALL" that usually means closed or booked.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

hbelkins

I may stay elsewhere Friday night and drive on in Saturday morning. Has a start time been determined? That could affect my overall travel plans -- i.e., Thursday night in Mt. Vernon, Ill., Friday night in Quad Cities vs. Thursday night in Alton and Friday night in Dubuque.

hbelkins. You are passing my territory on US 67 . I cant make Dubuque but let me know when you finalize your plans I could pick up lunch as you pass through

SSOWorld

HB, the start time is definitely 11:00 am with lunch. (I just realized I had forgotten to update this thread :-(
Scott O.

Raise your what?

hbelkins

That means that if I stay in the Quad Cities area on Friday night, I can leave around 8 a.m. local time (9 a.m. real time  :bigass:), drive US 67 and US 52, and make it in plenty of time. Good. Now I have some flexibility.

SSOWorld

Something to note:  The Mississippi River water levels have come up due to the rain and rapid snow melt.  While both gauges in Dubuque show below flood stage now, that may change come May 4 and put a challenge to the plans I have as some sights are at the lower elevations of the banks or not protected by levees.  I will be scouting the area and seeing what's impacted this and next weekend.  There are two crests on the river - the first of which is 50 miles upstream of Dubuque now.

The river is not forcast to flood on this crest, but additional rain storms coming up this week will change that.

Dubuque Railroad bridge hydrograph: http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=dvn&gage=dbqi4
Dubuque Lock-Dam hydrograph: http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=dvn&gage=dldi4
Scott O.

Raise your what?

SSOWorld

Hey everyone, just a reminder that the meet is two weeks from today! As there is some event activity eating up hotel space around the area I would again advise that you book your room as soon as possible if you are overnighting. Also, for those who haven't RSVP'ed to either here or on AARoads, please do so by next Saturday so I can get a head count to put in to the lunch venue.

I will be finalizing the route over the next week. The Mississippi River exceeded flood stage last Friday but now the water level is dropping. Still with rain in the forecast, I'm going to keep an eye on the water level (which will affect some of our stops if too high).

On the subject of the lunch venue - Shot Tower Inn does not split checks and charges a gratuity for parties of 8 or more if served at the table - however, there is the option of a walk-up ordering counter. I'm going to get more information on this as the risk of a busy restaurant is just as high as the risk of hotel space being low.

Here is a map of local points I have in mind - http://goo.gl/maps/Altlh
and of regional points - http://goo.gl/maps/MwTzg
Scott O.

Raise your what?

mgk920

An interesting aside - the name of the meeting point restaurant 'Shot Tower Inn'...  What is a 'shot tower'?  In the early days of settlement in that region, mining was an important, likely dominant part of the local economy.  The product?  Lead.  For example, you have the nearby city of 'Galena, IL' (galena is a mineral, essentially lead ore).  What did they use the lead metal for?  Ammo.  One of the forms is shotgun shot.  How did they make the shot pellets?  They dripped melted lead metal into a pool of water from several stories up - thus the tower to do the job, a 'shot tower'.

:cool:

It was of such economic importance back then that Wisconsin's first state capitol was established in nearby Belmont and observations of the activity of the miners (an image of one is on Wisconsin's state flag) was that they were digging into the hills like a bunch of badgers - thus the Badgers for the University of Wisconsin and many other Wisconsin things.

Mike

hbelkins

Any idea what time the tour will end? I'm trying to figure out how many hours of daylight driving I can get in after we're done.

I know I shouldn't have any problems getting to Dixon before dark, but don't know if I will be able to press farther onward or not. The only other options I have past Dixon are Mendota and Joliet, and it's possible that Joliet may be too far to reach before dark. (I'm taking US 52 back so I can clinch it in Illinois and Indiana).

SSOWorld

H.B., I'll calculate an approximate end-time this week.  Until then I can't give an answer one what to include and what not to yet.  I do want to get the local points and as many nearby regional points, but at the same time put in a stopping point so that those who want to do return daytime clinches can do so.  I don't anticipate going past the 3:00 hour as it is.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

hbelkins

Sounds like a plan. A 3 p.m. departure would certainly allow me to make Joliet before dark. Even a later departure would probably allow that to happen.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.