News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Los Angeles - US 99 Meetup - June 15

Started by sdmichael, May 16, 2013, 08:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdmichael

Hello,

I'm looking to put together a meetup to tour old US 99 from downtown Los Angeles to the Tejon Pass area, or at least Piru Gorge, on June 15. Think of it as a real version of my US 99 virtual tour. There are old bridges, concrete alignments, restaurants, and more to see. Some of the bridges aren't going to be here much longer, so it is a good idea to get out there. Lunch is planned at the Saugus Cafe in Santa Clarita. A morning departure, around 0900, would be best after meeting in the downtown area.

I will not be able to drive, as I only have my motorcycle. If anyone is interested, let me know! It will be a fun trip.

Alps

sdmichael

The North Burbank OH is already in a construction area and is one of the few major structures on US 99 in the San Fernando Valley. The Santa Clara River Bridge is also slated for replacement... soon. I find it best to see them before construction begins when possible.

Alps

Quote from: sdmichael on May 17, 2013, 01:21:54 AM
The North Burbank OH is already in a construction area and is one of the few major structures on US 99 in the San Fernando Valley. The Santa Clara River Bridge is also slated for replacement... soon. I find it best to see them before construction begins when possible.
Ugh, I don't think I can make it out that way until next year. Unless - UNLESS - I postpone Australia yet again and do my US 99/101 trip sooner than later. Poor Australia.

vdeane

I don't like to fly so I wouldn't be able to do any west coast road meet this year, but if any come up in the future, I've always wanted to do a cross-country road trip!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

potentially.  I have to be up in the Bay Area that weekend but can likely shuffle things around.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SSOWorld

Well considering I pretty much (temporarily) live off the Old Road as of June 1 I'll consider myself in.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

sdmichael

Where off of the Old Road? My plan is to meet in downtown and follow 99 at least as far as Castaic, depending on timing. A possible addition may be to walk the Arroyo Seco Parkway from Ave 20 to Bishops Road, taking the Metro Gold Line back to the car (or wherever we park). I will need a place to stash my motorcycle as well, working on that one myself.

SSOWorld

Oh right - then where I'm at is irrelevant :ded:.  I just need to get out early enough to beat traffic.  I will either be at an extended stay hotel or at an apartment complex near in Velencia (The first would be on the Old Road the other further away) - depending on my how fast issues are resolved between my work and the landlord.

how much would it be to park in downtown LA? (I'm sure it will cost quite a bit.)
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

sdmichael

It could be free at a MTA station.

SSOWorld

http://www.metro.net/interactives/go_metro/ <-- this map shows the station amenities. free parking is available at outer stations (indicated by the transparent [P] boxes - the terminal stations offering the most spots (North Hollywood and Universal city on the Red line have over 900 spots for example and Sierra Madre Villa on the Gold line has 960)  Parking downtown is not free (obviously ;) )  My suggestion would be to meet at one of these stations instead of downtown  North Hollywood might be best since it is closest to (what I believe) is the intended route),  and closer to the midpoint between DT and your intended lunch spot), then head in to DT.  I would imagine the 101 may be a parking lot that morning. It's your call though.

I can drive and fit 4 people in my car easily (5 would be tight in the back seat).  One wouldn't be able to miss my car by looking for a Wisconsin license plate. 
Scott O.

Raise your what?

andy3175

I might be able to join you guys too. Assuming all goes well and I can go, I can give you a ride up, SDMichael.

Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

sdmichael

Its getting closer... so who's interested? So far, it does look like a small group, which is good.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Raise your what?

andy3175

Casey Cooper and I will be there too.

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

sdmichael

Ok, plan is to meet in downtown LA around 0930. The question is, do we want to include a walk along the Arroyo Seco Parkway from downtown to the Los Angeles River? This will take a couple hours but still will leave us time to get in US 99 from downtown to Castaic. The bigger stops will be at the North Burbank OH, Newhall Pass (1911/1935 Tunnel Station Viaduct and 1954 US 99/US 6 Three Level Interchange), and the 1916 Santa Clara River Bridge site.

Meeting location to be determined by what we start with. If the Arroyo Seco Walk is included, then preferably at the Ave 26 Metro Gold Line Station. If not, then LAUPT probably works.

SSOWorld

works for me either way.  I'm pretty bored otherwise until I have Internet back ;)  The only thing this affects is where I park my car (or what train to take if not driving).  I did notice that they have a "transit customer parking only" policy at the NoHo station so its a good thing not to park there.  Is that true for the other Metro Rail parking lots? I have no idea - nor do I have any idea how well or if it's enforced.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

sdmichael

My suggestion to park at the Metro lot was that you'd take the subway into downtown to meet us. A Metro Day Pass costs I think $5 (if you have your TAP card, bring it!). We may be using the Metro Gold Line for the Arroyo Seco Parkway walk section (between Ave 26 and Chinatown stations).

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Raise your what?

SSOWorld

Michael put up a very good meet today! While he, Andy and Casey drove up from San Diego, and met the 5's usual traffic, I hopped on the LA metro red line to Union Station and hung around there.  We met up at the Lincoln Cypress statin and walked the Arreyo "Don't call me Pasadena" Parkway's "hidden" walkway and got many good shots of the 110' including close-up and behind the wall shots from the Figuroa Street tunnels, date stamps, plaques, signs, etc, finishing this by getting on the light rail at Chinatown and returning to the car.  We then drove up old US 99 (Ave to San Fernando Road through LA, Glendale, Burbank (stopping at Five Guys for lunch) then walking around a SF road split by the 5 which will be ripped out for reconstruction. This section contained very unique features including flashing lights embedded in curbs. We then drove up to the Newhall Pass (aka Sylmar) Interchange and took a look at a half-buried 3-level US 6/US 99 Interchange along with sections of the 5 and so-called (as I learned) Old Road. Before finishing with a destroyed Santa Clara River bridge by Magic Mountain and two soon-to-be-replaced bridges carrying the "old road over said river.  We concluded with back roads by the 5 "English Split" before returning SD, dropping me off at North Hollywood.  I will have pictures on Flickr as soon as I get my Internet up and running this week.

Thanks Michael for putting together a good meet.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Alex

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 16, 2013, 12:45:14 AM
Michael put up a very good meet today! While he, Andy and Casey drove up from San Diego, and met the 5's usual traffic, I hopped on the LA metro red line to Union Station and hung around there.  We met up at the Lincoln Cypress statin and walked the Arreyo "Don't call me Pasadena" Parkway's "hidden" walkway and got many good shots of the 110' including close-up and behind the wall shots from the Figuroa Street tunnels, date stamps, plaques, signs, etc, finishing this by getting on the light rail at Chinatown and returning to the car.  We then drove up old US 99 (Ave to San Fernando Road through LA, Glendale, Burbank (stopping at Five Guys for lunch) then walking around a SF road split by the 5 which will be ripped out for reconstruction. This section contained very unique features including flashing lights embedded in curbs. We then drove up to the Newhall Pass (aka Sylmar) Interchange and took a look at a half-buried 3-level US 6/US 99 Interchange along with sections of the 5 and so-called (as I learned) Old Road. Before finishing with a destroyed Santa Clara River bridge by Magic Mountain and two soon-to-be-replaced bridges carrying the "old road over said river.  We concluded with back roads by the 5 "English Split" before returning SD, dropping me off at North Hollywood.  I will have pictures on Flickr as soon as I get my Internet up and running this week.

Thanks Michael for putting together a good meet.

Mike's old Hwy 99 tours are awesome and thorough. The tours I went on with him, Andy and Casey were always great and involved seeing something that you would never know about while whizzing by on the freeway.

Looking forward to seeing your photos!

sdmichael

I'm glad everyone had a good time. It has been a while since I've done a US 99 tour through Los Angeles, so it was good to see it again. Construction is already underway for utility relocation in the area around the North Burbank Overhead in Burbank. So far, no major changes were seen at the Santa Clara River bridge, though I suspect changes soon.

hbelkins

I remember Carl Rogers trying to organize a SoCal meet several years ago and no one wanted to attend. I think that's what soured him on the whole concept of a road meet. Someone needs to go post details on m.t.r so he'll read and turn green with envy.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 16, 2013, 12:45:14 AM5 "English Split"

where is this?  I think that is the one feature you mentioned which I do not recognize offhand.  5/405?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

sdmichael

The "English Switch" is where I-5 climbs Five Mile Grade north of Castaic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.