News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mississippi

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

Here's something I found in the the local fish wrap this morning:

Byram is banking on its more than 6,000 acres of undeveloped land and its position in the middle of two major parkway projects - one that would connect I-55 in Byram to I-20 in Clinton and the other that would connect I-55 in Byram to U.S. 49 in Florence.

I know about the proposed connector from Byram to Clinton, but not the Byram-to-Florence one. I need to read up on that one.

UPDATE: I found a website about it: http://earmarks.omb.gov/earmarks-public/authorization_earmarks/earmark_188479.html

Bryant5493

Quote from: osu-lsu on July 29, 2010, 10:19:07 PM
You spoke to a rest area?  What did it sound like?  :hmmm: :sombrero:

:-D :-D

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

US71

Quote from: osu-lsu on July 29, 2010, 10:19:07 PM
You spoke to a rest area?  What did it sound like?  :hmmm: :sombrero:

*Whoosh*  :spin:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

UptownRoadGeek

I've noticed that on the 6-lane portion of I-55 north of Jackson, the northbound lanes have no shoulders and the southbound lanes only have an inside shoulder for about 2 miles. Is there a specific reason for this? If I'm not mistake it has been that way for years.

froggie

Only a few years.  No earlier than 2006.  Somehow, MDOT got approval from FHWA to convert the shoulders on I-55 into "temporary travel lanes" between Old Agency Rd and MS 463....not unlike what they did with a stretch of I-10 in Biloxi/Ocean Springs after Katrina.

golden eagle

I never noticed it, and I drive that stretch about every other day.

UptownRoadGeek

I'm assuming that there was a lack of funding or a time constraint???

Grzrd

Anyone have updates on how construction is progressing on Corridor V/ MS 6 from Pontotoc to Tupelo?

EDIT - FOUND INFO I WAS LOOKING FOR:

From a June 25 MDOT News Release:

http://www.gomdot.com/Home/MediaRoom/newsreleases/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?ID=625201035359

"Grade, drain and bridge project on relocated SR 6 — This project on SR 6 from near the Natchez Trace Parkway to SR 145 south of Tupelo in Lee County is underway and is approximately 50% complete.  This project was let in January 2009 with a projected completion date of December 2011.  The Contractor on this is Hill Brothers Construction Co., Inc. and has a contract amount of $29,296,176.  This section will complete grading work on SR 6 from SR 342 in Pontotoc County into Tupelo and a paving contract will follow the completion of the grading project to connect into south Tupelo."

UptownRoadGeek

Next question... What is with the freaky combo of pavement types on I-55 between Woodrow Wilson and Fortification? I've never seen pavements like this in MS and I've never seen overpasses paved over there either. The pavement, I want to believe, has been there for at least 2 years now and it was just as thin and rough when they layed it down as it is now. I think that the northbound lanes are light gray, and the southbound lanes are dark gray, instead of the usual "brownish" pavement that MDOT uses.

golden eagle

I live in Jackson and I can't explain the I-55 pavement. To be honest, I never really gave the pavement much thought.

froggie

Quoteinstead of the usual "brownish" pavement that MDOT uses.

In my experience, MDOT hasn't used "brownish" pavement since at least the '90s.  Every overlay job I've saw from 98-01 and 05-08 (my two timeperiods stationed there) was the "standard" black asphalt.

UptownRoadGeek

From my observation the black asphalt wears down to the brownish color except for in the coastal region where they use asphalt that wears down to a grayish color.

wriddle082

In Tennessee, the brown asphalt generally only exists near the Tennessee and Mississippi Rivers (Chattanooga and Memphis areas especially), except around Knoxville where it's mostly gray.  It's all gray in Nashville as well.

I think the asphalt color mostly has to do with the type of locally-obtained aggregate that's used.  Mostly brown when it's dredged out of a river, mostly gray when it comes from a quarry, and mostly white when there are seashells involved (Florida).

mightyace

Quote from: wriddle082 on September 09, 2010, 10:54:48 PM
I think the asphalt color mostly has to do with the type of locally-obtained aggregate that's used.  Mostly brown when it's dredged out of a river, mostly gray when it comes from a quarry, and mostly white when there are seashells involved (Florida).

I think that you are right.  In the area of Pennsylvania I grew up in, there is a lot of sedimentary rock.  Some roads used aggregate made out of red shale and faded to a pink color.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

DollarBill

I never figured out why they just didnt use the same pavement within the curvy area as they did on the rest of I-55 north of I-20.

Off topic but: whats with the acne, country road sounding pavement that is used on highways in states like florida and why wont mississippi start using it??? Im sure pavement like this would be safer to drive on during wet weather, providing more grip.  

Grzrd

Went with "Southeast" instead of "Mid-South" because I got link from MDOT site.

Essentially, the Brinkley to Batesville Highway Corridor has been proposed in order to connect I-55 in MS with I-40 in AR. Public meetings next week in Clarksdale, MS (Wednesday) and Helena/ West Helena, AR (Thursday) regarding the study of the corridor.  In case anyone in area might want to attend:

http://www.gomdot.com/Home/Projects/Studies/Northern/BatesvilletoBrinkley/pdf/Display%20Ad.pdf

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: DollarBill on September 14, 2010, 05:38:27 PM
I never figured out why they just didnt use the same pavement within the curvy area as they did on the rest of I-55 north of I-20.

Off topic but: whats with the acne, country road sounding pavement that is used on highways in states like florida and why wont mississippi start using it??? Im sure pavement like this would be safer to drive on during wet weather, providing more grip. 

Yea, it really looks retarded. The pavement isn't even and chunks of it are coming up. Last time I was there I noticed that they had poured a thin layer of the same asphalt over the bridges on I-20. Lastly, I still can't figure out why they would use two different pavement types for the northbound and southbound lanes.

codyg1985

Quote from: Grzrd on September 17, 2010, 02:30:39 PM
Went with "Southeast" instead of "Mid-South" because I got link from MDOT site.

Essentially, the Brinkley to Batesville Highway Corridor has been proposed in order to connect I-55 in MS with I-40 in AR. Public meetings next week in Clarksdale, MS (Wednesday) and Helena/ West Helena, AR (Thursday) regarding the study of the corridor.  In case anyone in area might want to attend:

http://www.gomdot.com/Home/Projects/Studies/Northern/BatesvilletoBrinkley/pdf/Display%20Ad.pdf

So basically it's a study to four-lane US 49 and US 278?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 20, 2010, 07:54:11 AM
So basically it's a study to four-lane US 49 and US 278?
I just stumbled upon the Notice when looking for info on the Memphis 3rd Mississippi River Bridge (aka Southern Gateway Project) and that's all I know.  The meetings did pique my interest because I was wondering how feasible it would be to upgrade the current US 49 bridge and the 278/49 upgrade approach appears to be the most realistic economic possibility.  A local newspaper will probably gives us a report from the meetings, but I just wanted to post the Notice in case someone from the area could give a more roadgeek detail-oriented report of the presentation.

Here is pdf of MDOT's "Study Purpose and Needs": http://www.gomdot.com/Home/Projects/Studies/Northern/BatesvilletoBrinkley/pdf/PN%20Statement.pdf

froggie

The existing US 49 bridge is a through truss.  Not upgradeable.

I got an e-mail reply from the lead consultant.  In a nutshell, they've just now begun the study so everything is on the table.  Over the "next several months", they'll be working on a preliminary list of corridors.  Upgrading existing corridors is certainly possible.  A new construction corridor is just as equally possible.

Grzrd

Although "Project Study and Needs" focuses on I-40 to I-55 link, given that Corridor V/MS 6 is already 4-laned from Pontotoc to Batesville, and MS 9 four-laning will have a high priority because of the Blue Springs Toyota Plant, this would create a pretty impressive four-lane "southern outer bypass" of Memphis from I-22 to I-40 for traffic coming from and going to Birmingham, Atlanta, etc.

Big picture wise, still eyeballing the map, what would be the optimal way to connect this corridor with the Southern Gateway corridor? 

Marc

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on September 06, 2010, 01:10:09 PM
Next question... What is with the freaky combo of pavement types on I-55 between Woodrow Wilson and Fortification?

Well, that stretch was asphalted a few years back because the original un-slabbed concrete was getting huge gaps in between lanes and pre and post-bridge joints were getting uneven. So, MS overlaid it with asphalt. From what I understand, people started to slip and slide around the tight curves, so MDOT later added another layer of asphalt, a more course type of asphalt that improves traction. That's the rough gray stuff you're referring to. If it were me, I'd totally re-route the roadway through there. It can be a pretty dangerous stretch of highway.

berberry

Quote from: Marc on September 25, 2010, 01:21:30 AM
If it were me, I'd totally re-route the roadway through there. It can be a pretty dangerous stretch of highway.

Wow, I can remember hearing a woman named Nancy Bell gripe about that very thing when she was doing traffic reports on the 'JDX Flying-J.  That was in the 1970s, and still nothing has been done to improve the stretch of freeway between Lakeland and Fortification.  I don't know what can be done about it, though, unless we destroy some houses in Belhaven or move the Jackson Waterworks. 

Maybe by 2040.

Marc

I went to Jackson, MS and Memphis, TN last week and stumbled upon something worth mentioning here.

MDOT is in the process of destroying a section of slabbed concrete on I-20 just barely inside Hinds County. This section was getting pretty bad, even after diamond grinding. Since they are destroying the section completely (roadway is down to two lanes in parts), it leads me to believe that they will be resurfacing with new concrete rather than a cheap asphalt overlay.

Alps

Quote from: Marc on October 18, 2010, 01:24:45 AM
I went to Jackson, MS and Memphis, TN last week and stumbled upon something worth mentioning here.

MDOT is in the process of destroying a section of slabbed concrete on I-20 just barely inside Hinds County. This section was getting pretty bad, even after diamond grinding. Since they are destroying the section completely (roadway is down to two lanes in parts), it leads me to believe that they will be resurfacing with new concrete rather than a cheap asphalt overlay.
Not necessarily.  They could be doing a full-depth asphalt replacement.  Once you have to rip up the whole road anyway, then you do a whole new cost assessment to determine what works best.  NJ has done full-depth asphalt replacement of former concrete roads in many locations.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.