News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tennessee

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdave

Quote from: CYoder on August 10, 2017, 02:00:55 PMApparently the 70 mph zone in Carter County has also been reduced to 65/55 truck, so there is no longer any 70 mph stretch along I-26 in Tennessee, and the truck speed limit is fixed at 55 mph the entire way.

I don't know why TN bothers with the reduced truck speed limits as the trucks pay no attention.

Brooks

Quote from: codyg1985 on August 10, 2017, 02:03:53 PM
TDOT has a project letting this month to widen a portion of I-40 through Jackson, TN to six lanes.

Where can I find the info for what TDOT's 3-year plan projects consist of? Their website is very vague about it.

Avalanchez71

TDOT has a project letting this month to widen a portion of I-40 through Jackson, TN to six lanes.
What a waste of money.  Figures that the gas tax increase would be money not well spent.  I did notice an increase in gas prices but have yet to notice the decrease at the grocery store.

codyg1985

Quote from: Brooks on August 12, 2017, 09:03:02 PM

Where can I find the info for what TDOT's 3-year plan projects consist of? Their website is very vague about it.

I haven't seen anything more concrete other than just generally describing the projects.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

froggie

Quote from: Avalanchez71What a waste of money.

And why is that?

lordsutch

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 13, 2017, 10:36:01 PM
What a waste of money.

On the contrary, I-40 through Jackson has been one of the major choke points on the route across the state for years, particularly the section between US 412 west and "mainline" US 45. With the amount of hop-on/hop-off traffic, it probably could do with either C/D lanes or C/D roads as well.

codyg1985

Quote from: lordsutch on August 15, 2017, 01:32:18 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 13, 2017, 10:36:01 PM
What a waste of money.

On the contrary, I-40 through Jackson has been one of the major choke points on the route across the state for years, particularly the section between US 412 west and "mainline" US 45. With the amount of hop-on/hop-off traffic, it probably could do with either C/D lanes or C/D roads as well.

The plans show for six through lanes and an auxiliary lane in either direction between US 412 and Bypass US 45. The BYP 45 interchange will remove the loop ramps from US 45 Bypass to I-40 West and I-40 East. The next interchange with US 45 Business will be converted to a SPUI.
Cody Goodman

Gnutella

What's up with Tennessee using a bunch of dinky exit signs now? There's a bunch of them on I-24 (south)east of Nashville, and a few on I-65 north of Nashville. What the FOCK? :confused:

hbelkins

The most likely explanation is that Tennessee contracts out its panel sign installations, and the old exit gore signs got knocked down and TDOT put up something to replace the knocked-down sign until a permanent replacement can be installed. Kentucky does this.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Is the part of US 51 between the east end of I-155 to Troy that is shown as freeway on the maps up to standards for it to be signed as I-69 once the Troy bypass is completed?

From the looks at it, when the Troy bypass is completed, even with KY not officially designating the Purchase Parkway, you still have a complete freeway then from I-24 to Memphis using I-155 and I-55 through Arkansas even if TN never upgrades US 51 the rest of the way south into Memphis.  Having though that part of US 51 signed as I-69 would still only be icing on the cake, but it would be more encouragement for the interstate's presence even though AR and LA won't likely have their I-69 completed until 2030 being I-49 is top priority and this is not that important.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sparker

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2017, 02:27:36 PM
Is the part of US 51 between the east end of I-155 to Troy that is shown as freeway on the maps up to standards for it to be signed as I-69 once the Troy bypass is completed?

From the looks at it, when the Troy bypass is completed, even with KY not officially designating the Purchase Parkway, you still have a complete freeway then from I-24 to Memphis using I-155 and I-55 through Arkansas even if TN never upgrades US 51 the rest of the way south into Memphis.  Having though that part of US 51 signed as I-69 would still only be icing on the cake, but it would be more encouragement for the interstate's presence even though AR and LA won't likely have their I-69 completed until 2030 being I-49 is top priority and this is not that important.

There is still a diamond interchange with a single NB 51 loop at Fulton; the W side of the diamond crosses US 51 at grade -- so it isn't a full freeway as of yet -- at least until the planned I-69 upgrade takes place.  It'll be several years before all the upgrades north of Dyersburg are completed and opened.

hbelkins

I can't remember if the ramp you have to take to stay on US 51 southbound after crossing the state line has a stop condition or not.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

wriddle082

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2017, 02:27:36 PM

Yes it is.  When travelling I-155 east as it ends at the US 412 interchange at Dyersburg, there is no noticeable change in quality of the roadway as it continues on as US 51 north.  They were both built around the same time period (mid-late 70's).

TN 22 from Union City to Martin also meets interstate standards, but needs a proper interchange with the new I-69 for it to qualify to one day be an I-169 or I-369.  I don't believe one is planned at this time.

roadman65

So once the Troy and Union City Bypasses get completed they could sign it officially as I-69 as it would be connected to the system, though I-69 could really have orphaned portions as FHWA rules are null and void due to it being an act of congress like I-99 is instead of AASHTO numbering.

I feel it should be signed that way and I'm quite comfortable letting I-155 become I-69 and TN leaving US 51 alone south of Dyersburg.  I-69 should concur with I-55 to where it splits in MS which would save TN and us US Taxpayers lots of money of not building new freeways and use what we got instead.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

Quote from: roadman65though I-69 could really have orphaned portions as FHWA rules are null and void due to it being an act of congress like I-99 is instead of AASHTO numbering.

Not true.  Though the future Interstate is coded into law per Congress, FHWA still has jurisdiction over when and how those segments are formally added to the Interstate system.

roadman65

Like they did with I-2 in South Texas where it is truly an orphan cause its signed into law.

Technically any state agency can sign whatever they want as AASHTO, the FHWA or whomever cannot throw a state into jail for breaking a rule like that.

MD chooses not to sign I-595, and they are not in handcuffs.

FL and NY are not in trouble for signing three E-W even numbered US routes as N-S.

Sorry I do not know why I typed in interstates as that got by me until I scrolled down on the posted comment later.  I was referring to US routes 4, 62, and 98 as the three routes going against AASHTO in what they technically want.

Sheryl Crowe

mvak36

Update from last week on IMPROVE Act projects: http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/11/08/tdot-offers-improve-act-updates-latest-budget-hearing/845600001/

QuoteTennessee Department of Transportation Commissioner John Schroer said Wednesday the IMPROVE Act gas tax increase is already generating strong revenues for state construction projects since going into effect July 1.

Schroer and staff gave an update on the Haslam-sponsored law at the department's budget hearing at the Capitol Wednesday.

Schroer said the department has started work on 288 of 962 projects named in the governor's transportation plan, including 32 interstate projects, 105 state route projects, 65 highway bridge projects and 84 locally-owned bridge projects.

But perhaps the biggest development from the act thus far is a record-setting bid-letting scheduled for Dec. 8, where the department will take bids on $324 million in projects-the largest in the department's history.

With about eight bid lettings a year, plus a mowing letting and a design build contract, the department will take bids on a little over a $1 billion in contracts this year.

"This just shows the impact of the IMPROVE Act,"  Schroer said. "This letting is because of the IMPROVE Act. There's work being done to Interstate 440, Lamar Avenue in Memphis, Interstate 24 and Interstate 75. People are going to be tired of seeing the orange cones."

Info regarding the I-24/I-75 interchange project: http://newschannel9.com/news/local/transportation-commissioner-i-24i-75-split-considered-worst-intersection-in-state

440 project: http://www.newschannel5.com/news/changes-coming-to-i-440-in-nashville
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

froggie

Quote from: roadman65Like they did with I-2 in South Texas where it is truly an orphan cause its signed into law.

I-2 is not an orphan...it connects to I-69E, and clearly FHWA felt that adding I-69E into Brownsville into the system was justifiable.

QuoteTechnically any state agency can sign whatever they want as AASHTO, the FHWA or whomever cannot throw a state into jail for breaking a rule like that.

This claim may hold true with AASHTO (and there's a notable example in Oklahoma, IIRC), but not with FHWA.  State's can't go willy-nilly on the Interstate system without FHWA approval.  And FHWA can and does withhold Federal highway funding from states that "break the rules".

QuoteFL and NY are not in trouble for signing three E-W even numbered US routes as N-S.

Why would they?  There's nothing in AASHTO policy that specifically states that even numbered US routes must be signed as east-west.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: mvak36 on November 16, 2017, 03:42:48 PM
Update from last week on IMPROVE Act projects: http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/11/08/tdot-offers-improve-act-updates-latest-budget-hearing/845600001/

QuoteTennessee Department of Transportation Commissioner John Schroer said Wednesday the IMPROVE Act gas tax increase is already generating strong revenues for state construction projects since going into effect July 1.

Schroer and staff gave an update on the Haslam-sponsored law at the department's budget hearing at the Capitol Wednesday.

Schroer said the department has started work on 288 of 962 projects named in the governor's transportation plan, including 32 interstate projects, 105 state route projects, 65 highway bridge projects and 84 locally-owned bridge projects.

But perhaps the biggest development from the act thus far is a record-setting bid-letting scheduled for Dec. 8, where the department will take bids on $324 million in projects-the largest in the department's history.

With about eight bid lettings a year, plus a mowing letting and a design build contract, the department will take bids on a little over a $1 billion in contracts this year.

"This just shows the impact of the IMPROVE Act,"  Schroer said. "This letting is because of the IMPROVE Act. There's work being done to Interstate 440, Lamar Avenue in Memphis, Interstate 24 and Interstate 75. People are going to be tired of seeing the orange cones."

Info regarding the I-24/I-75 interchange project: http://newschannel9.com/news/local/transportation-commissioner-i-24i-75-split-considered-worst-intersection-in-state

440 project: http://www.newschannel5.com/news/changes-coming-to-i-440-in-nashville

Schroer is the henchman behind the gas tax increase.  He insisted that TDOT couldn't let out any more new projects without the increase.  He lied to the legislature and said that TN would not have money to even maintain current roadways.

I hope the next governor lets him go.

Rothman

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 17, 2017, 01:22:41 PM

Schroer is the henchman behind the gas tax increase.  He insisted that TDOT couldn't let out any more new projects without the increase.  He lied to the legislature and said that TN would not have money to even maintain current roadways.

I hope the next governor lets him go.
Wonder if he meant that conditions would continue to decline with the former funding levels.  That was the case up here in NY. where the backlog to maintain conditions is staggering.  Also, NYSDOT has restricted itself to "preservation only" projects, with few exceptions.  So, it would be accurate that a DOT under funding constraints could not let projects for new construction.

I suppose I wonder if he exaggerated as described, or meant something more reasonable given our parallel experience up here.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

wriddle082

New TN 96 bridge over US 41/70S in Murfreesboro opens Saturday!  Desperately needed relief for one of the busiest intersections in the state.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/37079711/bridge-over-broad-in-murfreesboro-to-open-saturday

adventurernumber1

Wow!!! I am incredibly excited for this stuff!  :nod:  :hyper:  :thumbsup:  :clap:  :spin:

I actually was never really expecting to hear that they were going to do major construction on the I-75/I-24 interchange. For some reason, I don't think I actually realized how dangerous and in need of repair it was. I have pondered, many times, the quick-decision and lane configuration problem on I-75 Northbound in preparation of the interchange, but I never knew it was severe enough to justify an interchange overhaul. As for the tight curve on I-75 through the interchange, I had, especially as a young kid, always found it to be fun to drive on, and I highly enjoyed it. Though in more recent times, thinking objectively, I have slightly questioned its safety, but as with the first thing, I never knew that it was something that meant the interchange was in need of major repair. I can tell you that there are definitely some severe traffic issues on both I-75 and I-24 near this interchange. This is one reason why I have proposed (I think I am the first one to do so, IIRC) an Interstate 875 eastern bypass of Chattanooga, to facilitate travel for through I-75 travelers, and to ease traffic problems on some of the highways in the city (mainly I-75).

The Interstate 440 Project also sounds very intriguing to me. I have been on I-440 one time (going Westbound) on my Mission Trip to Arlington (DFW), Texas in July 2015. I remember the concrete being in absolutely terrible shape, indeed, and it was a bit of a rough ride for sure. I am very glad to see that this is going to be fixed up. I think Interstate 440 will look and feel a lot nicer and safer when the work is all done.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

codyg1985

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on December 16, 2017, 01:11:08 AM
This is one reason why I have proposed (I think I am the first one to do so, IIRC) an Interstate 875 eastern bypass of Chattanooga, to facilitate travel for through I-75 travelers, and to ease traffic problems on some of the highways in the city (mainly I-75).

I want to say that there is a long range plan for such a bypass to the east. Now if there was a push for a southern bypass (which would probably involve a very expensive tunnel under Lookout Mountain).
Cody Goodman

seicer

Didn't a long range north bypass get finally axed?

Avalanchez71

Quote from: seicer on December 18, 2017, 07:51:11 AM
Didn't a long range north bypass get finally axed?
I haven't heard of any plans for the bypass at all.  I hope they do ax the plans.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.