News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Vulcan road photos

Started by oscar, July 18, 2013, 04:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Last summer, I spent a few hours in Vulcan, Alberta southeast of Calgary, self-proclaimed "Star Trek Capital of Canada".  Below are some of the kinda-road-related photos I took there.

The Vulcan County county line sign with its Star Trek fonts, entering the county from the north on Alberta highway 23, foreshadows the Trek exploitation to follow:

Then there's the replica Vulcan starship at the main Vulcan town entrance on highway 23:

Just west of the replica is the futuristic visitor centre, at which you can stock up on Star Trek souvenirs (mostly from the original TV series, but there's a smattering of stuff from some later series and movies).  Those include the T-shirt I've occasionally worn to road meets (most recently the Chattanooga meet earlier this month): 

Even the Vulcan County government gets in on the act:

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

agentsteel53

FXS-1995-A?  is that one of those hypothesized* starships with an all-Vulcan crew?

* by fans who wonder if humans are really the alpha species of the Federation, or it's just how they're shown on TV

[crawls back into dork cave]
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

oscar

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 18, 2013, 04:57:49 PM
FXS-1995-A?  is that one of those hypothesized* starships with an all-Vulcan crew?

* by fans who wonder if humans are really the alpha species of the Federation, or it's just how they're shown on TV

[crawls back into dork cave]

That'd be my guess, though I'm not enough of a dork to follow up.  A plaque at the base of the replica confirms that it is of a Vulcan, rather than other Federation, starship (and also that the s/n is FX6-1995-A).  Also, the plaque suggests that the "1995" is the date for the erection of the replica, rather than an actual fictional Star Fleet ship number. 

The "A" suffix might reflect the off-screen destruction of the original Vulcan-crewed starship in one of the original TV series episodes (or one of the early movies?), much as a similar suffix was applied to the replacement Enterprise rolled out at the end of the Star Trek III movie. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

Wasn't the name of the starship with the all-Vulcan crew the "Intrepid?"

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kkt

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2013, 01:02:41 AM
Wasn't the name of the starship with the all-Vulcan crew the "Intrepid?"

Yes, the Intrepid was mentioned in the original series as having an all-Vulcan crew.  There was also the T'Kumbra, from DS9, and probably more.

tdindy88

For a second I thought this would be a series of pictures of the various highways on Vulcan. Though I suppose in the light of recent events those highways would now be "decomissioned."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.