News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Antigonish By-Pass - 2012 Update

Started by ghYHZ, June 15, 2012, 06:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

I guess that's what I get for only having been to Ontario and Quebec.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ghYHZ

Quote from: yakra on September 20, 2012, 08:43:11 PM
Is old 104, east of James St, now known as University Blvd?
Is this a pretty accurate picture of what NS4 presently looks like in the area?

Yes that's pretty accurate.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

After watching the By-pass construction over the past three years.......I was working in Newfoundland last week and missed the opening.

But to answer a couple of your questions.....I took a drive this morning on the new and old alignments and as far as I can tell......West, St. Ninian, Main, and St. Andrews Streets etc are still signed as NS4 through town.

Exit numbers have been pulled from the signs along old TCH104 but nothing indicating a route number or name along this section. If is to become "University Boulevard" ......time will tell. This was a name used by the proponents of the Blue Route, one of three optional routes in the early planning stage.  It was to appease the town who wanted a route even closer to established businesses.

The 2.1 KM section of old TCH104 from Beech Hill Road to Exit 34 is now barricaded at each end and will remain like this for about 3 years..... then be re-established as a through route when the next phase of the By-pass opens in 2015.

There are still a couple of detours in place and it will probably take a few more day to get all signage changed.   

AsphaltPlanet

I just watched the video.  I have to say this is a nice looking road.  I am not crazy about how Nova Scotia stripes the lane ending at the end of the multilane highway.  Why wouldn't they stripe it the same way they stripe the lane endings at the end of ramps?  Anyways, minor detail on an otherwise interesting roadway.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

ghYHZ

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on September 24, 2012, 11:46:38 AM
I am not crazy about how Nova Scotia stripes the lane ending at the end of the multilane highway.  Why wouldn't they stripe it the same way they stripe the lane endings at the end of ramps?  Anyways, minor detail on an otherwise interesting roadway.

If you had to cross-over a stripe.........wouldn't this give the impression that the left lane has the right-of-way which is not the case? The right lane is the through or travel lane and is just moving over.

brucester4

I did a westbound video, unfortunately it was rainy and dark, so it isn't the best.  Looks to still be a lot of work to finish the ramps on the westbound side at Addington Forks.  The right lane isn't finished and there is a lot of gravel in the median.

http://youtu.be/6OjfhaLuowU

vdeane

Quote from: ghYHZ on September 24, 2012, 05:01:10 PM
I am not crazy about how Nova Scotia stripes the lane ending at the end of the multilane highway.  Why wouldn't they stripe it the same way they stripe the lane endings at the end of ramps?  Anyways, minor detail on an otherwise interesting roadway.

If you had to cross-over a stripe.........wouldn't this give the impression that the left lane has the right-of-way which is not the case? The right lane is the through or travel lane and is just moving over.

In pretty much any other jurisdiction, the left lane would be the through lane and have the ROW.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ghYHZ

Quote from: deanej on September 25, 2012, 12:35:31 PM
Quote from: ghYHZ on September 24, 2012, 05:01:10 PM

In pretty much any other jurisdiction, the left lane would be the through lane and have the ROW.

Here it's "Keep Right Except To Pass"  and with a solid line for the last 100 meters or so, you should have completed your pass. It's the same configuration found at the top of a climbing or passing lane. Newfoundland even takes it one step further by indicating "Yield"  across the end of the left lane allowing the right lane to move over.

oscar

Quote from: ghYHZ on September 25, 2012, 04:14:39 PM
Here it's "Keep Right Except To Pass"  and with a solid line for the last 100 meters or so, you should have completed your pass. It's the same configuration found at the top of a climbing or passing lane. Newfoundland even takes it one step further by indicating "Yield"  across the end of the left lane allowing the right lane to move over.

I like how NL does it, which is part of the exceptional (perhaps best in North America) lane discipline I've experienced in that province.

But a quibble -- I thought that NL treats passing and climbing lanes differently, with "YIELD" lane markings at the end of the right lane for the latter, and of the left lane only for passing lanes.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ghYHZ

Quote from: oscar on September 25, 2012, 04:39:27 PM

But a quibble -- I thought that NL treats passing and climbing lanes differently, with "YIELD" lane markings at the end of the right lane for the latter, and of the left lane only for passing lanes.

Possibly......but can't say I've ever seen that.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

Same reason we had a Nova Scotia 66.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

yakra

Hey now, a US shield would have a *black* background.
This is a Maritimes shield.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

vdeane

Quote from: ghYHZ on September 25, 2012, 04:14:39 PM

Theoretically the same here (though it's not enforced, and can't be given how congested northeast interstates are); we just make all the traffic in the right lane move over.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ghYHZ

The former TCH104 is severed at Exit 34 but will be fully restored as a through route when Phase 2 of the By-pass opens in 2015. At that time, this short 500 meter section extending to the top of the hill and the start of the divided highway (first photo below) will be removed. In the second photo......the now closed section makes a great 2 KM bike route into town!

At Beech Hill Road, the old alignment is temporarily barricaded and traffic must now turn right to the new Exit 33 interchange......or left to NS4 (about 250 meters) at South River Road.

The new highway gives a different perspective of the town I've lived in for 30 years. 

AsphaltPlanet

Nice photos.  Looks like a well designed and constructed roadway.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.